Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner (film) sequels/prequels!

Administrator

England

Blade Runner (film) sequels/prequels!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48712

LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”

Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film.

The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined. Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”

Among its many distinctions, “Blade Runner” has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by countless polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, "Blade Runner" was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark “Alien.”

The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). “Blade Runner” was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society. Alcon’s COO Scott Parish and head of business affairs David Fierson are negotiating on behalf of the Company.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If it was handled properly, this could be interesting - and I'm glad that this deal excludes remake rights, because, quite frankly, there's no need AT ALL to remake Blade Runner.

I would think a sequel would be better ... it's always kinda weird when a prequel has far superior visual effects, you know? Of course, with Scott back into the Alien-ish fold, it'd be lovely if he got involved in this ... but considering that Los Angeles 2011 looks sod all like that of Blade Runner's in 2019, they might have to rejig it a touch ... but then again, you could argue that it's just another version of L.A. - so it doesn't really matter either.

It's certainly a hugely influential film - for example, I watched Repo Men t'other day, and the cityscapes in that are a TOTAL COPY of Blade Runner's vision, with a hint of Minority Report.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Am I correct in saying I remember Ridley Scott in an interview somewhere stating that he considered Alien and Blade Runner to be set in the same fictional universe (presumably in different time periods)?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Am I correct in saying I remember Ridley Scott in an interview somewhere stating that he considered Alien and Blade Runner to be set in the same fictional universe (presumably in different time periods)?
    News to me personally, but that's not to say it isn't the case.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    don't really care, the originals story was kind of half baked, it was the directing and cinematography that made it something unique and original. try and replicate it and at worst you fail, at best you create a cheap imitation. its better left alone. it doesnt need a phantom menace.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ridley Scott is returning to direct.

EXCLUSIVE: After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side. They got control of the franchise earlier this year, but it's a whole different ballgame with Scott at the helm.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Aug-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    ^^ Hmmm... Is Scott trying to build up his retirement fund or something!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Hmmm... Is Scott trying to build up his retirement fund or something!?
    That was my first thought. I'm glad he's returning to science fiction, but I wish he wasn't going back the well. TWICE. I'm sure he could easily come up with something original...

Administrator

England
    Nice Blade Runner documentary...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUtYO2wL9E
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, my advice would be to leave this one alone.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hmmm, my advice would be to leave this one alone.

they did the same with star wars and alien.

they made some cash so now they're building films in front of and behind it.

but why bladerunner? it didnt make all that much money in the first place. i guess its one of those "its been 25 years and found its audience on home video" kind of sequels.

United States
    I'm pretty happy about this. I'm not going to lie

Attached Images
    Last edited by Exatreides; 19-Aug-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: excited
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Super Moderator

UK
    Personally I'm intrigued by the idea. A sequel - picking up a few decades down the line - would be an interesting concept, to see how that world had changed, and the issue of replicants etc.

I don't see a prequel being feasible - being that Blade Runner is set in 2019! - but a sequel (not necessarily all that direct a sequel either) could produce some interesting new territory to explore. It depends on the quality of the idea, but I'm quite excited by Scott returning to his sci-fi roots as a feature filmmaker. I'm very much looking forward to Prometheus.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    don't really care, the originals story was kind of half baked, it was the directing and cinematography that made it something unique and original. try and replicate it and at worst you fail, at best you create a cheap imitation. its better left alone. it doesnt need a phantom menace.
    The third tier to the above is that you diminish the original.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Scott confirms he will direct - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51846
    -Carl Sagan