Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6320305...well-under-way

Sources are saying the game is actually pretty far along and could see a release as early as next year. Rumors of the voice actors casting call also point to it being a Los Angeles-type city and they say the size is massive. San Andreas, maybe?

Of course everyone could have guessed they were working on a new GTA game, but it's surprising to hear it may be released next year. And San Andreas? Oh yeah, baby.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ..eeh after gta 4 i was kinda done with the criminal in the sandbox city stuff. Red dead- which i only played recently was a breath of fresh air only because of the start change in contrast and setting.

Personally i would rather see them tackle something other than criminals and gangsters again. like it would be interesting to see what they could have done post red dead with the fallout licensing for example. I just think they should have given GTA a long rest after 4. I'm really not ready for another.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If it were Liberty City again I would agree with you, but the thought of San Andreas on the current systems makes my mouth water. San Andreas was amazing on Xbox, so applying that massive and diverse landscape to the new technology just sounds awesome. Plus i'm sure they learned a few things from RDR.

Super Moderator

United States
    To be honest, while I could have done with a longer wait, if they were going to go back to any locale, I'll take the sprawling counties of San Andreas (they'd better make it as immense or more so than the original). I just hope they bring something new to the plate as far as gameplay is concerned

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully there'll be no problems with the expanse of the game in terms of running it, mind - like framerates.

RDR had the odd framerate issue, and L.A. Noire had numerous drops in framerate (but nothing stupid or long lasting, but it was definitely an uneven framerate) ... just been playing Undead Nightmare recently, and it reminded me all over again just how beautiful-looking RDR and its presented world were/are. I'd hope that GTA V gives us more to look at (and do) within a more varied environment (compared to GTA IV) ... I'd also really dig a period setting - particularly the 1970s.

They could easily trim down the main campaign/story mode compared to GTA IV (which took me 50 hours both times) in favour of a tighter pace with less repetition (nearing the end of the game, the mafia dude in their version of New Jersey was all a bit "meh"). RDR took me 30 hours both times, and that was a pretty ideal play time. It didn't over-do things, but it also didn't short-change you ... and the world felt alive ... as such, even more interactive random world events would be most welcome.

Plus - make money have a purpose - it was damn near useless in GTA IV. I want to customise my safe houses inside and out ... and bring in regenerating health - constantly buying armour after every goddamned mission-or-two got real old, real fast, and searching out a hotdog vendor to snack myself back to fitness just seems more retarded than regenerating health, which is a bit daft in a way, but it's the least daft option ... and I think the best way to go in terms of health systems. It's there to kill you if you fuck up, but it's also not there to get in the way and be really annoying (e.g. Battlefield Bad Company's piss-annoying adrenaline syringes ... which were unlimited anyway).

Also - improve the cover system, particularly during battles, and the movement system (for one thing, allow the player a much tighter turning circle) ... ... and boobs, lots and lots of boobs, naked ones, and some bottoms (front and back), and some shagging, that'd be nice too - it's supposed to be an adult game after all, put some ruddy sex in it!

San Andreas was good, but I much preferred Vice City ... plus I didn't connect with CJ one iota, he was just a killing machine to me, whereas I did actually get connected to Niko Bellic (although nowhere near as much as the superb job they did with John Marston). I'd dearly hope they're giving us a period setting (come on 1970s, please, please!) ... anyway, I look forward to seeing what's to come in due course. 2012 will be four years since GTA IV was released, so it'd make a lot of sense to be the case.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fuck yes. San Andreas is definitely up there as one of my all-time favs. I must've easily spent over 30 hours simply exploring the lands of San Andreas for fun (and hunting for legends/myths when the game was first released).

Also, just today I picked up the GTA IV Complete Collection. Ready to immerse myself in Liberty City, in prep for a return to S.A.!

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, I have to go back and play more of GTAIV, I feel like I played a lot of that game, but barely have any achievements for it!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Fuck yes. San Andreas is definitely up there as one of my all-time favs. I must've easily spent over 30 hours simply exploring the lands of San Andreas for fun (and hunting for legends/myths when the game was first released).
    Exactly. The environment of San Andreas was diverse and massive. Apply that to their newer technology, hopefully a good story/characters, and we should have an awesome game. Better than GTAIV.

I wouldn't complain too much if they went with Vice City, but that just doesn't seem like it would work now. Vice City in that eighties setting was just so perfect at the time it was released, I can't see a new game working in the present day. Maybe they could go with a different lead character and have it in the 80's again, but c'mon....nobody can top Liotta.

I think they're giving up the "era" ideas for GTA and applying them to different franchises. RDR, LA Noire, etc. So now I think they're going to stick with modern GTA games, only set in different locations. And after GTAIV and RDR's BEAUTIFUL design, that should be interesting enough..
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Jun-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Imo, San Andreas was the best in the series. I've played the far technically superior GTA 4 and it's no contest. I'd choose san adreas every time. I don't know if it's because i can relate to the ghetto aspect of it more but it just sucked me right in.

However, I do think they struck gold with the RDR format and don't think we'll be seeing future GTA's made the way they used to be.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Although is it officially "GTA V"? If it is, then it must be a present day entry (which would be a tad disappointing, being that GTA IV was circa 2008 - and not an awful lot has changed since then) ... as I've said before, I'd much prefer a 1970s setting, and I think that could work really well for GTA.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Although is it officially "GTA V"? If it is, then it must be a present day entry (which would be a tad disappointing, being that GTA IV was circa 2008 - and not an awful lot has changed since then) ... as I've said before, I'd much prefer a 1970s setting, and I think that could work really well for GTA.
    Perhaps that's what was wrong with GTA 4. Too "in the now", ya know? I agree. A Set piece game is the way to go.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How many more set piece games could they possibly have left? They had the old west with RDR, the forties in LA Noire, the eighties in Vice City, the nineties in San Andreas, and the others have been modern day. How many more radically different time frames can there be? They've almost run out of options. The set pieces were a nice marketing gimmick for a while, but I think now if they want to continue the GTA series in particular, they're going to have to keep them modern day and find something new to bring to the table.

That's the way I see it, anyway. They're going to stay with modern day storylines, but try branching the series out in other directions. Although the US is a big part of Rockstar's games, maybe we'll see them branching out to contries around the world at some point? Changing the gameplay and missions will go a long way, as well. Continuing to write stories like John Marston's will also be a big boost...
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Jun-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: .

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Imo, San Andreas was the best in the series.
    Yeah, I'd agree. There's just something about SA in that you could just punt around for hours and not really do anything but still find something to amuse yourself with, if that makes sense? I never got that with IV, it was lovely to look at but damn, that springy camera did my head in.

Hope to gaaaaawd they bring back that jet pack, it was too much fun!

Super Moderator

UK
    1970s! 1970s! 1970s!

Another country perhaps, if continuing with a modern setting (although I'd much prefer a period setting - did I mention the 1970s? ) then bung it in another country to do something to set it apart from GTA IV. A variety of landscapes is also a must, and agreed, if they can provide a story - and main character - as compelling as that found in Red Dead Redemption and John Marston, then that'll be a big plus.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wouldn't mind the 70's being the time frame. However, I'd also be cool with it being modern day. A return to the 80's wouldn't be a bad thing, either. My main yearning is for them to bring back bicycles and ATV's (wouldn't mind the jetpack, either)! There was just something about cruising around the country side on a bike. Also, riding off the top of the mountain on a bike, then parachuting to the forest below, was really fun. Especially the rare instances when a plane would intervene.