Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New "Cosmos" TV series

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Does the actual information of the original still stand up to scrutiny? We learn so much about the universe on an almost daily basis nowadays.
    Absolutely! Only a few episodes show things which are now out of date - eg: sections on Mars.

Most of it is beautifully crafted material presented fabulously by Sagan!

And then there's the score/music too! Vangelis' did the series proud!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Absolutely! Only a few episodes show things which are now out of date - eg: sections on Mars.

Most of it is beautifully crafted material presented fabulously by Sagan!

And then there's the score/music too! Vangelis' did the series proud!
    Yeah, I have a best of Vangelis CD with the main theme tune on it somewhere. Also have the special edition Blade Runner 3CD set...very tasty!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Yeah, I have a best of Vangelis CD with the main theme tune on it somewhere. Also have the special edition Blade Runner 3CD set...very tasty!
    Many many great Vangelis tunes in Cosmos!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well the reviews seem positive... It's not on in the UK till next weekend.

So any of you guys see it?
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Got it. Haven't watched yet.
    It's on National Geo next week for those who don't know

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoyed it immensely although it's too early to judge it.
    They had to get our solar system out of the way so a lot of the info is just retreading stuff we've heard countless times.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Finally watched the first episode...

Really enjoyed! Only things that annoyed me were:-
    1) I'm watching to learn about and enjoy the cosmos, not see a CGI spaceship. How many unnecessary close ups do we need of this CGI ship?
    2) The cartoon history of Giordano Bruno was a little "goodies vs baddies" for me, with evil cartoon religious inquisitors etc.

But otherwise enjoyed it, and hope the remaining episodes stay to fact & information rather than the unnecessary CGI fantasy stuff...
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed

You saw it! you can't unsee it! OBEY.

Administrator

England
    ^^

LOL!! Clever! Put's things into perspective don't it!
    -Carl Sagan

England

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post

Good I think... Still not watched the first series... Any comments on it?
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Good I think... Still not watched the first series... Any comments on it?
    While i think de grasse tyson is a good science communicator, there's something about his presentation style that doesn't work for me. Kind of grates on me a bit.
    The science and show presentation are great though.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    While i think de grasse tyson is a good science communicator, there's something about his presentation style that doesn't work for me. Kind of grates on me a bit.
    The science and show presentation are great though.
    I'm actually taking my kids through the original Sagan series at the moment. Maybe when I've got through that, I'll go through the new one...
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I'm working my way through the audio book of Pale Blue Dot at the moment. It's partly read by Sagan and it still holds up today. More philosophy mixed with science than Cosmos.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I loved it. It was great. Also enjoy watching Tyson, as much as Sagan I'd say. Perhaps even more so.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I loved it. It was great. Also enjoy watching Tyson, as much as Sagan I'd say. Perhaps even more so.
    OK! I'll push it up my "to watch list"
    -Carl Sagan