Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road (film)

Administrator

England

Mad Max: Fury Road (film)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52110

There's talk of a Mad Max video game too!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Hmm, I'll have to see a bit more info before I go splooging in my pants over this, I really enjoyed the originals (even 3 to a certain extent).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I really enjoyed the originals (even 3 to a certain extent).
    I think Thunderdome gets a bad rap. It's got some great post-apocalyptic action, set design, costuming and balls-out characters. There's some roll-your-eyes aspects and some boring plot direction at times, but it's got some great component pieces to it.

As far as a new trilogy...we'll see. But Tom Hardy is a damned good start, I'd think.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hell....Thunderdome is my favorite of the three. It's just a fun ride.

As for the new trilogy? Ehh...I'll check it out. Hopefully it can bring something fresh to the table.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I think Thunderdome gets a bad rap. It's got some great post-apocalyptic action, set design, costuming and balls-out characters. There's some roll-your-eyes aspects and some boring plot direction at times, but it's got some great component pieces to it.

As far as a new trilogy...we'll see. But Tom Hardy is a damned good start, I'd think.
    Very much this.
    Let's hope one out of three george's can live up to his legacy.

United States
    Love the Mad Max films, but I'll make it pretty simple:

If Mel Gibson is Mad Max I'd love to see it and will look forward to it.

Anyone else playing Mad Max? No thanks, won't watch even for free.

If it's not Mel Gibson it's not Mad Max.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 30-Nov-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Mel Gibson is out to pasture, JP, and good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I just hope he stays there.

I'd love to see a new Mad Max and if done well it could be as good as the originals...but it'd take a lot of love and care to pull that off. Hell, if they want to go with a character of the Road Warrior more in line with Mel's age--cast someone like Kurt Russel or something. I'd still rather see them try that than go back to trotting out Mel

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    I can see where you are coming from JP. I truelly love the original films, especially the second one. But let's give Miller the benefit of the doubt. Mel IS getting old. Still, of all the classic action heroes (if you can call Max a 'hero') the road warrior could still kick some ass as a sixty year old Unlike, say, Indy.
    Hardy might pull it of though. As long as they go for an R rating, and try to outdo the 'death proof' chase sequence we'll be fine. I hope.
    Last edited by krisvds; 01-Dec-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    While I don't mind Tom Hardy being the protagonist, I don't like somebody else playing the actual "Mad" Max Rockatansky! Have him play his son or something. But unless this a reboot, I'm not buying it.

Having that said, I had no idea Fury Road had finally been green-lit. Awesome! I hope they spend as much time on stunts as they did in the originals.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Mel Gibson is out to pasture, JP, and good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I just hope he stays there.

I'd love to see a new Mad Max and if done well it could be as good as the originals...but it'd take a lot of love and care to pull that off. Hell, if they want to go with a character of the Road Warrior more in line with Mel's age--cast someone like Kurt Russel or something. I'd still rather see them try that than go back to trotting out Mel
    I think Mel Gibson's a fine actor and I enjoy most of his work. I wish he'd shut his damn fool mouth up when he's drunk and start drinking in the privacy of one of his homes though. I try not to associate actors/directors with their "personal lives" no matter how awful some of these folks are. For example, Roman Polanski isn't exactly the best human being in the world but I'll be damned if I don't look forward to enjoying each and every one of his films as I think he's a masterful director and I absolutely love his films.

I'll second the opinion if they use someone else other than Mel they need to either come up with a story of it being Max's son in the series as I'm just not interested in a re-boot of the series. It's just fine (and great the way it is).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Ireland
    I'm agreeing with JD here. It has to be Mel of GTFO.

Mind you, I can't stand the first Mad Max film. I thought it was rubbish. II and III were good though. But, I think on the whole the series is highly overrated.

If it's a reboot, then I don't care. If it's a continuation, then Mel.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If it's being done by a major production company, then you can say "bye" to your hopes of it being any good.

Super Moderator

United States
    Was Thunder Road originally supposed to be a direct sequel or an interlude falling between one of the preexisting films (i.e. between 1 and 2 or between 2 and 3)?

United States
    Tom Hardy looks ok but I thought I heard way back Jeremy Renner was da man. Que pasa?

Undisclosed
    It has been done before in the past; classic characters portrayed by different actors actually pulling it of. Take for instance James Bond. While Sean Connery was perfect, many also like Moore, Dalton, Lazenby, .... Same with Dracula; both Lugosi and Lee brought different interpretations and so forth. Mad Max is a bit of a mythical figure in his own B-Movie way. Mel was great back in the day, but let's reserve judgment 'till we see some actual footage? Hardy might work. A bigger danger than Mel's absence would be them using CGI instead of actual stunts in the inevitable chase sequences.