Thread: DAWN plaid shirt/airprt zombie

United States

DAWN plaid shirt/airprt zombie

After many years of searching I finally found Paul Musser from Dawn of the Dead. Paul's first convention appearance will be in March 2012 at the Horrorhound show in Columbus, OH.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Well this is interesting news! Where has he been hiding all these years?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Well this is interesting news! Where has he been hiding all these years?
    Paul has been here in the Western Pennsylvania region for years. Believe it or not he's never watched Dawn of the Dead. I booked him into his first convention in March and suggested that he finally watch the film!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Which one is he??

hahahaha
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Which one is he??

hahahaha
    LOL That's true. I showed the pic to Greg Nicotero and he said I looked more like the zombie from DAWN than Paul does. It has been 34 years since he shot that though.

United States
    How was he dealing the whole concept of "fame", I imagine since he never watched the film it was never something he really hung his hat on. Did he seem taken back at all by the attention?

What has he been doing for a living?

Do you know how he was cast? Was he a friend or a random guy?

Lot's of questions I know but I am just curious, imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us

Super Moderator

United States
    Wow, when I say 'excellent find' on these boards it's usually in reference to a clip or a prop, not a whole person!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us
    Do you mean you're not already creeped out a bit by people like us

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wow, when I say 'excellent find' on these boards it's usually in reference to a clip or a prop, not a whole person!

Do you mean you're not already creeped out a bit by people like us
    LOL fair enough!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    How was he dealing the whole concept of "fame", I imagine since he never watched the film it was never something he really hung his hat on. Did he seem taken back at all by the attention?

What has he been doing for a living?

Do you know how he was cast? Was he a friend or a random guy?

Lot's of questions I know but I am just curious, imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us
    Thorn, I grilled Paul with a lot of questions about his scene in DAWN. Unfortunately he has little to no memory of it at all. He did remember flirting with a female on set. He referred to her as the leading lady, which would have been Gaylen Ross. However, I believe he was thinking of Jeannie Jefferies who Savini's girlfriend/assistant on DAWN. He told me that those days were filled with a lot of partying and then he joined the Army not long after that. He was a sax player in Fluid, the band he was in with Mike Christopher(Hare Krishna zombie), and in the U.S. Army. The photo was taken after a private autograph signing I set up with a collector friend of mine. Paul couldn't believe all of the stuff with his likeness on it. I told him that Richard Rubinstein trademarked his head!

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Would have been funnier if the first responder in this thread said "where did you dig him up at"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thorn, I grilled Paul with a lot of questions about his scene in DAWN. Unfortunately he has little to no memory of it at all. He did remember flirting with a female on set. He referred to her as the leading lady, which would have been Gaylen Ross. However, I believe he was thinking of Jeannie Jefferies who Savini's girlfriend/assistant on DAWN. He told me that those days were filled with a lot of partying and then he joined the Army not long after that. He was a sax player in Fluid, the band he was in with Mike Christopher(Hare Krishna zombie), and in the U.S. Army. The photo was taken after a private autograph signing I set up with a collector friend of mine. Paul couldn't believe all of the stuff with his likeness on it. I told him that Richard Rubinstein trademarked his head!

Awesome info thanks man, and good work.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Two things...
    1) The last time I talked to Mike Christopher, I asked him about Paul Musser (O.K. I didnt use the name "Paul Musser", I think I just said the airport zombie that you were in a band with) and what their best band song was, and he said the song was "He is messed up in the head" and gave body language to indicate that the song rocked out.Did it seem like that might be true? And...
    2) If Paul was surprised that there was merch. with his likeness on it, I wonder...does he live next door to that guy in the Geico commercial that lives under a rock?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 16-Feb-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: by request

United States
    No, Paul didn't seem to have any mental issues at all. He's a very intelligent guy in fact.
    As for not knowing much about the popularity of the film and it's merchandise...some people don't care about this kind of stuff. We are fans and love it, but it was just a lark to him when he was young. He moved on and forgot all about it for the most part.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    You shown him the movie yet? Maybe that would dislodge some memories.

It's amazing just how closely he is associated with the film, for someone who spent maybe a day on set and didn't utter a single line. Hell a stylized version of his face is even used on some Day posters too. And he didn't get a penny for it, I'm guessing.

Undisclosed
    This guy is one of the most iconic figures in modern horror film history, and he wasn't even aware of that?? Unbelievable!!

Anyway, thanks a lot for posting the pic and info.
    "Add the Calgon!"