Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film) - A trilogy?

Administrator

England

World War Z (film) - A trilogy?

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/...0,146902.story

In "World War Z," due in theaters right before next Christmas, Pitt will play a United Nations fact-finder and family man who desperately races around the globe to determine the origins of a zombie pandemic that has toppled civilization in short order. The film is directed by Marc Forster ("Finding Neverland," "Quantum of Solace") and is similar in spirit to September's "Contagion" (from director Soderbergh and starring Damon) with its geo-political bent and the aspiration to deliver social messages amid the moans and screams.

For Pitt, the big sci-fi thriller also represents his strongest bid to have a big film franchise of his own, which might be viewed as the missing piece of his career jigsaw puzzle. Forster and Paramount Pictures each view "World War Z" as a trilogy that would have the grounded, gun-metal realism of, say, Damon's Jason Bourne series tethered to the unsettling end-times vibe of AMC's "The Walking Dead."
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    that would have the grounded, gun-metal realism of, say, Damon's Jason Bourne series tethered to the unsettling end-times vibe of AMC's "The Walking Dead."
    Oh man, this is going to be a fun thread to watch unfold....

Last edited by bassman; 04-Jan-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Could be good, could be bad... who knows.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Could be good, could be bad... who knows.
    Hard to see how it can be made into three (reasonably) self contained movies?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Inb4 Hellsing's Inb4 & Inb4 people tarring and feathering other people with MBAs

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Oh man, this is going to be a fun thread to watch unfold....

Yup, what will be, will be with this project.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Inb4 Hellsing's Inb4 & Inb4 people tarring and feathering other people with MBAs
    Can I babel fish that? What on earth does that all mean?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    How can you make a trilogy about superhuman strength Olympic sprinting "zombies" (term used loosely) who can make humanly impossible raptor-like noises? All of humanity is dead by the first 30 minutes of the first film - are the next two films going to be about zombies running around in sprints and making raptor noises at one another?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    How can you make a trilogy about superhuman strength Olympic sprinting "zombies" (term used loosely) who can make humanly impossible raptor-like noises? All of humanity is dead by the first 30 minutes of the first film - are the next two films going to be about zombies running around in sprints and making raptor noises at one another?
    The first film will be about a zombie outbreak and them taking over the world.

The second will be about zombies founding a new society.

The third will about a human outbreak and them taking over the world.

And because the whole thing is infinitely repeatable, it can be rebooted until the ends of time to suit whatever type of zombie happens to be in fashion at the time - runners, shamblers paragliders or intergalactic. Win, win, win! Money, money, money!

Undisclosed
    Making a loveable character like Sharktopus into a trilogy would be much more socially redeeming.

It is very presumptive of Pitt to think that he can create a movie franchise when he has already pissed off most of the existing fan base by making something that is a perversion of the original source material.

IMO there are already too many of these action with no storyline and character development movies filled with the same tired and repetitive slow motion panning effects. There does not need to be ANOTHER one as the last Resident Evil was enough.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

j.p.
    Please no... No raptor zombies please!

If I go to see World War Z, and in the film someone gets bit, then turns into a zombie in 30 seconds, lets out a dino roar while wearing stupid contact lenses, I'm going to puke on the spot and run out of the cinema!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Better get a bucket, you're gonna throw up.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

United States
    I've already seen clips. The zombie are super-fast and humans turn zombie within instants of being bitten.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBSMITH View Post
    I've already seen clips. The zombie are super-fast and humans turn zombie within instants of being bitten.
    Shame... Doesn't seem to feel right does it... But it may still result in a good flick (hopefully)!
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

United States
    I tend to have a rule,
    When the first three things of any tangibility concerning a movie are all bad, I look for 7 more tangible pieces of info on said movie. If I get to 10 and haven't found any good news, I mark it down on my "Meh, I'll catch it when it makes its way to basic cable" list.

As yet, WWZ the movie seems destined to make said list.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Shame... Doesn't seem to feel right does it... But it may still result in a good flick (hopefully)!
    I really wish they would stick to the source material more closely but I am not going to write it off just yet, I like to keep an open mind. While it may not fit neatly into "my dream zombie movie" I don't think anyone could have done right by this material 100% I am going to try to enjoy it for what it is. Hope for the bet, prepare for the worst and not be let down.