Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain America 2 - The Winter Soldier (film)

Administrator

England

Captain America 2 - The Winter Soldier (film)

So it now has directors attached - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Capta...ect-31285.html

Looking for ward to this film. For me, the first was right up there with Iron Man 1, and I certainly enjoyed it more than The Avengers, which although entertaining, for me, even with all the fights, followed by fights, followed by fights, I ultimately found a bit vapid due to the lack of any real character building and indeed concern.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm hoping this is better than the first. For me, Captain America was the least Marvel film out of the recent bunch. It lacked the "real" world feeling of the others and felt more like a cheap toy advertisement. I also didn't connect with Captain Rogers like I did Stark, Banner, Thor, etc.

I'm more looking forward to Shane Black's Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. The rumored Blank Panther film has my attention, as well.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm hoping this is better than the first. For me, Captain America was the least Marvel film out of the recent bunch. It lacked the "real" world feeling of the others and felt more like a cheap toy advertisement. I also didn't connect with Captain Rogers like I did Stark, Banner, Thor, etc.

I'm more looking forward to Shane Black's Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. The rumored Blank Panther film has my attention, as well.
    Not having a go, but I felt the exact opposite. I've watched CA a couple of time and enjoy the human thread through it. Where as I watched The Avengers and felt it was just fight after (contrived) fight with never a moment of drama or true concern in there. I thought with even all its flaws, Thor was a more solid drama than The Avengers.

Odd how people can get such different experiences from the same film(s).

IM3 could be interesting as long as its more towards the quality of the first IMHO. Thor2, I'll be interested in if its as good or better than the first.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, we'll see what happens w/ a 2nd Cap film. I really enjoyed the first one and thought they handled it deftly.

I kind of feel like Bassman is on to something with how they handled certain parts, though, and I think Hydra and their toys could have not always been so ultramodern, sleek and shiny. That said, I think for a movie w/ a guy wearing the stars and stripes, they approached it in about as well thought out a fashion as they could have and I thought the film had some real heart, decent (comic book-style) characterization to it and was a fun ride.

The Avengers, for me, was a superbly done balancing act. I think it helps that I had some investment in the characters, so all those fights were actually fun and filled with bits of characterization for me as a viewer. The fact that they didn't grow stale for me was something I saw as a great achievement, even as I doubted their ability to repeat such a feat with a second film (though I'd love to be proven wrong on that count).

Thor? Well, for me, Thor was the weakest of the recent Avengers line up of films (discounting the Hulk films, which I don't think I've ever given a fair shake). The story and character didn't resonate with me, as I would have liked, but they had a tall order to fill, too.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    hated number 1...just hated. Hated all of them so far though - apart from Iron Man which was borderline OK. None of those films are very magical for me, tbh. Hulk, Xmen, cap am, Thor, etc...saw all of them and wish I had my time back!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    It might be that grimmer fare is what you're looking for, Symph. Did you like the Batman movies? How about the 90s Batman movies, for comparison, sake?

I'm guessing you like grimdark (to borrow a Dannyism) super hero melodramas better, perhaps.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It might be that grimmer fare is what you're looking for, Symph. Did you like the Batman movies? How about the 90s Batman movies, for comparison, sake?

I'm guessing you like grimdark (to borrow a Dannyism) super hero melodramas better, perhaps.
    Superhero movies are hard to get right eh? The only ones I like are the Superman movies - and the last two of those aren't particularly good either...!

Batman Begins - meh....really bad pace, not much happens, not much invested by the end - and a pretty boring bad guy...well made though, atmospheric, dark - its just that nothing really happens in it.

Dark Knight - over and over I'll bemoan this movie. Too long by approximately 45 minutes, exceptionally poor in it's pacing. Movie loses steam and ideas by the end and the last 10 minutes feel rushed and tacked on. The "moral" or underlying theme is hard to hook onto, and of course both of these movies are plagued by Bale's bad voices. Great soundtrack, great effects, great performance from Heath - but wasn't enough to save it.

Original batman movies: absolutely hate. Hate Keaton as Batman, he's closer to Albert than Bruce Wayne. Not a big fan of Jack's joker, but he wasn't bad. The overtly comic book style is great, but overall the movie is soooo bland. Again nothing happens and the investment in character is limited. The movie is flat in a lot of places, and the setpieces seem to drive it to the end.

Batman returns: saw at cinema age 10...ugh. Over-egging the pudding.

The rest of the batman movies: abortions.

Thing is, I love superhero movies and comics....I loved Spiderman (Toby version), 1+2 although 3 is horrible in every way. Love Superman movies, too...but the modern ones really don't have that magic - and I don't put it down to my age and cynicism....!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just curious.....are you a fan of any of these characters in their comic form? Although they've had financial success(meaning non-comic fans must like them), i've often wondered if my love for Batman has increased my enjoyment of Begins and TDK. Even I admit TDK could have used some trims, but I still consider it the best Batman film to date.

Also nice to see Superman getting some love. I feel like most audiences have forgotten Donner's film and I still consider it THE superhero movie of all time. It set a standard that none others have really yet to reach.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Jun-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm with Neil, I really enjoyed Captain America. It wasn't quite as good as Iron Man, but I had a thoroughly good time with the movie, and I've seen it twice. Once in the cinema with my mates, and once over Xmas watching it with my Dad, and each time everyone seeing it dug it. It's bloody good fun, with enough character stuff thrown in to begin with so that we actually give a stuff about Rogers. The tone was obviously lighter than Iron Man generally, but I thought that worked, it kind of had a bit of a vibe to it akin to a Saturday morning serial, which I'm sure was intentional - plus, coming from the guy who did The Rocketeer, the tone makes sense.

I was less keen on Thor generally - but nonetheless enjoyed it more than I thought I would both times seeing it (although the 3D was a piss take in the cinema on that one).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have a hard time seeing what this sequel's gonna be about. Didn't the Avengers pretty much follow up on Captain America? Wasn't that pretty much "Captain America 2"?

United States
    Sorry, but I think Cap beat the pants off Iron Man, TDK, and Supe Returns. To me those were snoozefests, especially Iron Man.
    Bring on Cap 2!!!

Administrator

England
    Robert Redford on board! - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rober...uel-36734.html

The Captain America thing is just a very simple thing,” Redford explained. “I wanted to do something different. I wanted to do something just to be different. Something bold, different. And that felt like a good thing to do. That was it, nothing more to it than that. Well, it’s bold in terms of expectations, I guess.”
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    The Captain America thing is just a very simple thing,” Redford explained. “I wanted to do something different. I wanted to do something just to be different. Something bold, different. And that felt like a good thing to do. That was it, nothing more to it than that. Well, it’s bold in terms of expectations, I guess.”
    Judging by this quote--and I may be wrong--but I think Redford wanted to try something different.

Still, could be very cool...I hope they ratchet the pulp factor down just a tiny bit, myself. We'll see.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm with Neil, I really enjoyed Captain America. It wasn't quite as good as Iron Man, but I had a thoroughly good time with the movie, and I've seen it twice. Once in the cinema with my mates, and once over Xmas watching it with my Dad, and each time everyone seeing it dug it. It's bloody good fun, with enough character stuff thrown in to begin with so that we actually give a stuff about Rogers. The tone was obviously lighter than Iron Man generally, but I thought that worked, it kind of had a bit of a vibe to it akin to a Saturday morning serial, which I'm sure was intentional - plus, coming from the guy who did The Rocketeer, the tone makes sense.
    MZ gets it. Perfect summation.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I hope they ratchet the pulp factor down just a tiny bit, myself. We'll see.
    Pulp is goo IMO. But, given that this one would be set in modern times, I could see it being reduced.

Super Moderator

United States
    Principle photography starting up...

Marvel Studios has announced principal photography has begun for Joe and Anthony Russo's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in Los Angeles, CA. While the film will begin production in Los Angeles, shooting locations will also include Cleveland, Ohio and Washington D.C.

The release also contained a new, shadowy image of Chris Evans as Captain America next to the S.H.I.E.L.D. sigil and confirmed the cast and their roles...

Returning Marvel Cinematic Universe actors include Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Sebastian Stan as James "Bucky" Barnes/Winter Soldier, Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill and Maximiliano Hernandez as Agent Jasper Sitwell. Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the first time are Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow, Georges St-Pierre as Georges Batroc, Emily VanCamp as Agent 13 and film icon Robert Redford as Agent Alexander Pierce, a senior leader at S.H.I.E.L.D.

The press release serves as confirmation on several fronts, including VanCamp's portrayal of Agent 13, the alias of Agent Sharon Carter, and St-Pierre's rumored portrayal of Georges Batroc, better known as Batroc the Leaper.

The "Captain America" sequel will pick up following the events of "The Avengers," following Steve Rogers as he "struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington D.C.
    Nice, has one of my favorite low powered C-grade Cap villains in it Not sure in what direction, especially costume-wise they'll go with regards to one of the longstanding supporting Cap characters, though...

The Falcon...that could be a rough transition to the big screen if they try and stay too faithful, though I've heard Sam Wilson's Ultimates incarnation is pretty kickass! See..