Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A list of films that have a direct references to DAWN of the DEAD 78 or 04

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

A list of films that have a direct references to DAWN of the DEAD 78 or 04

Shaun of the Dead
    Return of the Living Dead
    Zombie
    The 40 Year Old Virgin
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 05-Jul-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Title too long
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    technically you need 5 or more to be a list thats just a few, and theres that bit in DAY with bub and we hear the mall music, granted its the sequel but i believe thats a reference.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I like the "Dawn04" reference in "The 40 Year Old Virgin".

It shows how moronic the viewing audience is.

"ooooohhhhh giiiirrllll, don't go in dere. OH SNAP!"

Seriously though, "Dawn04" can't have many references outside of that minor one. It's only a few years old....and basically already forgotten. Besides, the reference in "40 Year..." is probably only because they needed a "horror" film and it's owned by the same studio...

Banned User

United States
    Dawn '04 is just over two years old--I wouldn't expect it to be referenced by ANY films this early in the game...the same way I wouldn't expect to see a Land reference right away (if ever--I've never seen Day referenced anywhere either).

In the deleted scenes of Weird Science, Gary or Wyatt mentions how the original Dawn scared the crap out of him.

I've seen more direct references to the film GAR will be remembered for after he's gone--the original NOTLD. They're watching it on "Doctor Dementia" in Halloween II, and it's referenced in Summer of Sam...
    Last edited by Svengoolie; 05-Jul-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    Dawn '04 is just over two years old--I wouldn't expect it to be referenced by ANY films this early in the game...the same way I wouldn't expect to see a Land reference right away (if ever--I've never seen Day referenced anywhere either).

In the deleted scenes of Weird Science, Gary or Wyatt mentions how the original Dawn scared the crap out of him.

I've seen more direct references to the film GAR will be remembered for after he's gone--the original NOTLD. They're watching it on "Doctor Dementia" in Halloween II, and it's referenced in Summer of Sam...

I've seen a few random "Day" references here and there, but you're right.....there's not near as many for "Day" as there is for "Night" and "Dawn".

I would like to see a reference to "Shaun" ...

Banned User

United States
    I've seen a few random "Day" references here and there
    Where?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I remember seeing some animated short on the net that had Bub and Dr. Tongue in it. Seems like I remember another one from TV but I can't place it.

Then, of course, you got the subtle references in "Shaun of the Dead".....but that kinda goes without saying.

Banned User

United States
    To be honest, I don't think that references from other zombie flicks should count--especially Shaun, which is a direct homage to GAR's work.

Undisclosed

I know tons of movies...

have Night on in the background and Creepshow 2 I think had Dawn in the Background.

Undisclosed
    There's "Waxwork 2" it has a whole skit in it set in the Dawn Mall.
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Hell of the Living Dead is a giant Dawn ripoff, including the Goblin tracks, and SWAT Team members on the hunt for zombies.

There's a Tales From The Darkside episode directed by John Harrison (can't remember the name, will look it up) where Dawn's playing on a TV in the shot (I know, it's not a film...).

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott
    Hell of the Living Dead is a giant Dawn ripoff, including the Goblin tracks, and SWAT Team members on the hunt for zombies.
    Whoa, I must find this movie!

Somehow I've missed the Dawn references in Return and Zombie... can someone please elaborate?

United States
    There is a couple of films that I cant remeber right now that have Dawn 78 references. One of them is when some guy is asleep in his chair in the living room, and Dawn 78 is playing on the TV. The scene that is playing is the "screwdriver zombie" scene, who was played by John Harrison. The movie I am referring to was directed by John Harrison. I believe it was "Tales from the Darkside" the movie, which was pretty cool as I remember. Seems like maybe a Stephen King movie or two may have had some type of Dawn reference as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    Over on my New Dimensions website I have a running list of Zombie References. Not terribly well organised, it's just for fun. I've got a list of references over the last 6 months to add on, but have a goosy gander here:

http://www.geocities.com/nickthomson...bieMovies.html

It's to zombies in general, but that of course includes references to Dawn, will add the last 6 months worth of references soon...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    slightly off topic but still a dead reference:

Halloween 2 has NOTLD playing on a tv during the opening credits.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."