Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Expendables 3 (film)

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFypXKtskE4

Blimey, that's a cast and a half!

Looking forward to this. Really enjoyed the first two.

Administrator

England
    ^^ I like that

Not seen 2 yet!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ I like that

Not seen 2 yet!
    Pull a finger out you lazy sod.

Jam-packed with action, so it is.

Administrator

England
    Looking forward to seeing Kelsey Grammar in this one!

More here:-
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66779
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mel-G...s-3-42357.html

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    FFS!!!

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Rated - PG13
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Rated - PG13
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hope, at the very least, they've got alternative shots and takes to splice back in for a tougher cut on home video.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I have heard this part would be the last part.. Is it true..?

Super Moderator

UK
    So it seems #3 didn't do so well at the weekend box office in the states - $16.2m - compared to nearly $35m for the first flick and nearly $29m for the second movie.

I saw the first two movies in the cinema, but I absolutely refuse to pay to watch a watered down - 12A rated - Expendables movie in the cinema. I'll wait for the inevitable 'harder cut' on home video. The decision to 'go for a wider audience' with a PG-13 seems rather daft - do 13 year olds care about Stallone & Co? Have they seen any - or all that many - of any of the movies the main cast have starred in? The people most interested are going to be grown adults, so not only are you compromising your product (and the style of films from which it was birthed), but you're also sticking two fingers up to the section of the potential audience who are actually willing to hand over their cash.

It also seems like an even more stupid decision - and a greedy one to boot - considering that the R-Rated Expendables 2 earned more than $300m worldwide in cinemas ($220m was from the International market). So there's no need at all to neuter it for a PG-13.

So it didn't do well on the US opening weekend, but will it see a big drop off next week, or will it stretch out it's taking more evenly over several weeks rather than a single weekend followed by a massive drop-off? Also, I wonder what the International BO take will be. I really dig the first two movies, but I kind of hope the PG-13 rating for #3 damages the BO draw and sends Stallone & Co a clear message.

Hopefully it'll have some balls reattached for home video, but even still it'll probably be some CGI blood and a couple of ADR swears like the soft, but otherwise pretty good, Die Hard 4 'harder cut'.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It also didn't help that a DVD quality copy of the movie was leaked online more than three weeks ago....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It also didn't help that a DVD quality copy of the movie was leaked online more than three weeks ago....
    Yes, that too! I wonder how that leak happened. Clearly must have been someone on the inside with access, or someone charged with delivering a disc somewhere took the time to rip it before delivering it.

Administrator

England
    There will be an unrated cut - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Expen...ils-67613.html

No doubt with lots of CGI blood pasted in.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    There will be an unrated cut - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Expen...ils-67613.html

No doubt with lots of CGI blood pasted in.
    Better than nothing, but hopefully it'll be better than just that - hopefully they had extra/alternate footage that was cut out for the silly PG-13 theatrical release. I saw both of the other two flicks in the franchise at the cinema, but deliberately avoided seeing this one in the cinema (in the UK it's rated friggin' 12A ffs!!!) as I knew there'd be an "unrated" version on DVD/BR ... so that is what I've been waiting for.

I think it was a big mistake to try and appeal to 13 year olds. Their target audience is, frankly, going to be older and already fans of their back catalogue. Jason Statham is the youngest of the main cast, at least I think he is, and he's got an established film career of his own in action - but, for instance, The Transporter came out in 2002 ... so a PG-13'er kid would have been friggin' one when that came out. Is there really going to be an army of teens who are clued-up on all the classic action flicks of these action cinema legends? Perhaps some, but I don't think they're going to be particularly clued-up ... the cool ones with good taste in movies will, but was it worth compromising the hard edged attitude of the franchise? I don't think so.

Sure, the leak online would have played a huge role in buggering up its box office, but I think there'd be a considerable enough chunk of the audience who - like me - just said "I'm waiting for the DVD/BR when it'll be uncut".

So I hope they've got some decent bits of extra footage (e.g. presuming they cut away early during certain encounters/kills/etc in the theatrical release). I really dig The Expendables flicks, but softening it for PG-13 is just the wrong move. They don't make massive amounts, but they make very tidy sums worldwide in cinemas and ancilliary markets - be happy with that and keep that audience happy by maintaining the toughness, yeah?

/rant

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15176

Seems that the unrated cut is 5 minutes longer - noiiice. Hopefully it's proper extensions to the violence and not just a couple of crappy deleted scenes that have been re-inserted or something.

Special Features:

The Expendables 3 Documentary
    "New Blood: Stacked and Jacked" Featurette
    "The Total Action Package" Featurette
    "Christmas Runs the Gauntlet" Extended Scene
    Gag Reel

Technical Specs:

Unrated Edition Run Time: 131 minutes
    Theatrical Version Run Time: 126 minutes
    EnglishDolby TrueHD Atmos Mix and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio
    English, English SDH and Spanish