Thread: Season 4 webisodes

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    So what do we all think then?
    I thought they were much better than the previous seasons and clearly a higher budget.
    Couple of problems though.
    The first scene showing the lead cradling someone behind the tree. The attack was still going on but the dead girl turned immediately. I found that a bit jarring.
    The doctor in the hospital says she had been there months. Doesn't that make Rick's timeline seem a bit problematic?
    I've only had the chance to watch it once, half paying attention, so maybe i've missed some important references
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Loved it, freakin' awesome shit.

I noticed the weird timeline too; she said three months. I didn't think Rick was in there that long.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    So what do we all think then?
    I thought they were much better than the previous seasons and clearly a higher budget.
    Couple of problems though.
    The first scene showing the lead cradling someone behind the tree. The attack was still going on but the dead girl turned immediately. I found that a bit jarring.
    The doctor in the hospital says she had been there months. Doesn't that make Rick's timeline seem a bit problematic?
    I've only had the chance to watch it once, half paying attention, so maybe i've missed some important references
    Yeah, it wasn't the best laid out script for a webisode that ties directly in with a known location, and timeline of well known and established events.
    Not to mention the idea that when you read the comic, and watched the pilot, you had this overall idea that the walkers in the cafeteria were there because the hospital staff needed a place to put people once they figured out what was going on, in order to prevent them from coming back and over running the entire place. It tied directly in to the whole narrative of the apocalypse. But now we find out that the hospital couldn't have been that bad, and the cafeteria walkers were actually the result of a crazy woman long after the fact.
    They make it seem like there were epic battles over this hospital, there's a military stronghold right next door in the pilot.
    I think the way the new webisode makes things seem in regard to the hospital and timeline cheapens the story. It brings things from fitting into an overall narrative of an apocalyptic scenario that makes sense, to a dramatic scenario that feels forced and spliced together just to get a webisode that ties into the larger story.
    It would've been so much better if they would've done something like leave that old crazy lady out of it, and just had the guy and girl show up at the hospital and accidentally open the cafeteria door. Resulting in the death of the guy who then turns, and the girl chains the door and paints the warning on it before leaving with the guy who's now a walker because she couldn't make the decision to put him down. While leaving the hospital maybe they walk past the room where Shane put the stretcher in front of the door, or pass by the corpse of that girl that has all her flesh ripped away and is laying under the flickering light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Loved it, freakin' awesome shit.

I noticed the weird timeline too; she said three months. I didn't think Rick was in there that long.
    He couldn't have been in there that long. He couldn't have survived that long without having fluids and nutrients pumped into him. There's no way the machine had 3 months worth of fluids, and power to stay on all by itself for 3 months.

Super Moderator

UK
    I liked them, and I was spot on with my prediction (although obviously they couldn't get the same hospital - either it wasn't available, or they couldn't afford to go back there), but I knew it'd be the story behind that particular image after what they said in the info on it.

The dialogue needed work - some moments were rather expository - but I'd imagine this was written by someone who is very early in their career and got this opportunity, so good luck to them, and if I'd had the same chance I'd have taken it in a heartbeat too.

I was half-wondering if Rina would become the devoured corpse that Rick sees down one of the corridors, but evidently not.

I did always think about how long Rick was left alone in the hospital - so this suggests that he might have only been alone for a couple/few days - I suppose he had his drip, but he wouldn't have lasted all that long without any attention. So I imagine this lady was taking care of him for as long as she should ... even though she was putting people out of their misery, she must have had the code of getting permission first, and with Rick unable to do so, she helped keep him going ... and must have moved the gurney back.

The timeframe is funky as fook (although I must have missed her saying "three months"), but for a little webisode series I enjoyed it. A little more effort into tying the details together with the established story from season one would have helped though.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I liked them, and I was spot on with my prediction (although obviously they couldn't get the same hospital - either it wasn't available, or they couldn't afford to go back there), but I knew it'd be the story behind that particular image after what they said in the info on it.

The dialogue needed work - some moments were rather expository - but I'd imagine this was written by someone who is very early in their career and got this opportunity, so good luck to them, and if I'd had the same chance I'd have taken it in a heartbeat too.

I was half-wondering if Rina would become the devoured corpse that Rick sees down one of the corridors, but evidently not.

I did always think about how long Rick was left alone in the hospital - so this suggests that he might have only been alone for a couple/few days - I suppose he had his drip, but he wouldn't have lasted all that long without any attention. So I imagine this lady was taking care of him for as long as she should ... even though she was putting people out of their misery, she must have had the code of getting permission first, and with Rick unable to do so, she helped keep him going ... and must have moved the gurney back.

The timeframe is funky as fook (although I must have missed her saying "three months"), but for a little webisode series I enjoyed it. A little more effort into tying the details together with the established story from season one would have helped though.
    I enjoyed having the webisode. If it were a standalone short film I would think it was actually great. But it just doesn't feel right as part of TWD in the established time/storyline it's in.

I can't accept it as the way things went down leading up to the chaining and marking of the door. That hospital was torn apart by some serious shit going down in the early outbreak. I can see how you arrived at the conclusion of your spoiler, I thought about that too after I watched it. But seriously, does that feel right to you? Can you incorporate that into your idea of the events from season 1, prior to you seeing this webisode?
    I remember that door from the comic, then seeing it in the pilot like it was with the paint on it and the fingerprints, the fingers coming out. That was a powerful image in my mind. I imagined it happening in such a considerably different way. Like some really horrendous shit going down and the hospital staff finally coming to the conclusion that they have to lock people who were bitten in there to try to keep some sort of control over the situation, only to lose all control shortly after despite those efforts. Then Rick stumbles upon the aftermath of all that.

The way it plays out in the webisode just feels so extremely weak, not even reminiscent of the TWD world at all, has none of the tone that the comic and pilot had at all. The "Bicycle Girl" storyline was so much more substantial and in-line with the way it felt like that would've happened. The season 3 webisodes were different, not tied in very well. But they still worked on their own. It seems like maybe the writer of this new webisode was too influenced by last seasons webisodes. Trying to include that element of that guy in the storage unit being a nutjob. They should've looked to the bicycle girl webisode for influence instead.

It's just the crazy old lady Kavorkian that doesn't work. If they would've left her out of it, and not established the amount of time she was there, and not tried to explain the walkers in the cafeteria as being this crazy ladies euthanized trophies. Left it up to the viewer to decide how long after the outbreak this happened, it would've been excellent.
    Last edited by babomb; 02-Oct-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    The attack was still going on but the dead girl turned immediately. I found that a bit jarring.
    Agree!

Agree again!

I was expecting to see the doctor looking after Rick, and for him to be left there at the end etc. Ready for season 1.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    For a small project like this to fit everything just under a half hour, a few things did seem a bit rushed, but for a webisode I think it's ok. Works for me!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."