Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (film)

First Dawn of the Planet of the Apes poster:

I like that it's the same as one of the posters for the first film, only now Ceasar has war paint on his face. Looking forward to this...

United States
    I was wondering if they were ever going to make more. Awesome!

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    He looks mighty Po'ed.
    Time for it's own thread?
    Conquest of POTA almost re-inflamed race riots in the city I am originally from.
    Not that was much left after 1967.
    Uppity not much more to say about that time period.

DH

England
    Trailer

The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    That looks pretty friggin' sweet to me.

I must dig into the other movies sometime as I've only seen the original, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. But yeah, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes looks pretty epic and atmospheric.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    THAT is how you make a teaser. Not too much information and leaves you wanting more.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    I finally saw the trailer and it is sort of slick.
    Was that Gary Oldman with megaphone?Looking very much like his character in Book Of Eli.
    I think it is kind of a cheap manipulation of the originals to substitute the virus killing people instead of the apes taking over city after city by violent uprising.But then the apes were never put into slavery and dogs and cats still were alive in this reboot.
    So instead this one goes into a reboot of the events of Battle For The ***.
    I think they should not have skipped the Conquest Of *** stage.
    8 years (4 years fighting virus then mankind against himself for the dregs other 4) sure does make things look broken down and overgrown.
    Flawless visuals,...the sandbagged ma deuce shot was kind of kickass.

DH
    Last edited by Darkest Hour; 22-Dec-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: didn't come out right

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkest Hour View Post
    I think they should not have skipped the Conquest Of *** stage.
    They didn't skip it. The previous film, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is essentially a remake of Conquest. It's the story of Caesar leading the apes to revolution. They basically just started the new series with Caesar's birth rather than have him be the child of time-traveling Cornelius and Zira from the original "Planet..." and "Beneath...".

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Essentially?
    Haul more rocks.

Respectfully disagree.
    This showing was not a worldwide phenomenon of slave ape rebellion.Does the phrase emperor ape ring a bell?
    That is what Caesar was.
    Writing in the sky(ICBM bomber missile contrails)maybe there is radioactive rubble in this new one who can say at this point?
    Merely an escape of one enclave of a small segment of a zoological curiosity of captive apes from a somewhat repressive "monkey house" across a bridge to a redwood forest does not = Conquest of the Planet of the Apes .That doody was worldwide!

I did not notice any nemesis or ally such as MacDonald or .gov Breck or the rest of a totalitarian cabal of nation-state leaders hunkering down in hardened bunkers.
    Stick to Ghostbusters and Superman Batman Back to the Future posts(I keed /sarc).

Lovely short lived Mr.Comics adaptation below:
    http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wik...et_of_the_Apes
    This is what this movie should be.
    CHURCHDOOR alpha and omega FTW

DH
    Last edited by Darkest Hour; 25-Dec-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: at this point formatting

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It's been a couple of years ago since I saw Conquest. But wasn't it all just in one city? I never got the impression that it was worldwide. In the original Apes series, wasn't it a nuclear war that ended mans domination of earth? I seem to remember that backstory being related in Beneath. The fall of man simply coincided with the rise of the Apes.

Then Battle came along and was sort of a middle ground, set a few years after Conquest, and there we see cities ruined by what I can only guess are nuclear warheads.

So yeah, the virus is substituting the nuclear warheads, but then again that's just a modernisation for the 2000's. Nukes are soooo last century.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It's been a couple of years ago since I saw Conquest. But wasn't it all just in one city? I never got the impression that it was worldwide. In the original Apes series, wasn't it a nuclear war that ended mans domination of earth? I seem to remember that backstory being related in Beneath. The fall of man simply coincided with the rise of the Apes.

Then Battle came along and was sort of a middle ground, set a few years after Conquest, and there we see cities ruined by what I can only guess are nuclear warheads.

So yeah, the virus is substituting the nuclear warheads, but then again that's just a modernisation for the 2000's. Nukes are soooo last century.
    You're right, in the original conquest film, Caesar simply showed other ape groups in other cities the way - and still it took time. It wasn't even the first scenario, as that was brought about by a gorilla named Aldo in another time-line. The arrival of Zira and Cornelius, as well as the birth of milo ( who later renamed himself Caesar ) set up a paradox that accelerated the revolt by several hundred years. How and why humans set off the nukes, it seemed more about war between themselves than with the apes.

But also, in Pierre Boulle's source novel for all of this, some germ or other toxin was largely responsible for driving humanity literally back to a primal mute existence. So let's just say Dawn is splitting the difference, and stop splitting hairs. I sorta/kinda liked the first reimaging? (even with James Franco ) so this looks like a well reasoned followup to that. I loved the original quintology? ( five films? ) - alot - and was amused by the seventies cartoon show and the tv series, but I really hated Tim Burton's mess. So when I say this sequel shows promise, you're hearing it from a long long time fan of all things POTA.

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 27-Dec-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: B'cuz EvilNed told me to. HAH!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    I loved the original trilogy - alot - and was amused by the seventies cartoon show and the tv series, but I really hated Tim Burton's mess. So when I say this sequel shows promise, you're hearing it from a long long time fan of all things POTA.

Wayne Z
    You can't be that much of a fan if you think it's a trilogy...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You can't be that much of a fan if you think it's a trilogy...
    In keeping with the season, I had to check my post twice ... hee.
    Must be that by the fifth film of the original series, the budget and inspiration had gone down so low, I wanted to just forget that Battle For POTA had ever been made. But that would still leave us with four, wouldn't it?

Must be that super virus dancing the fandango through my already holiday traumatized brain.

Paul Williams as Virgil was pretty cool in Battle For, though.

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 27-Dec-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: B'cuz

Undisclosed
    The original films must be my most revisited set of scifi - films.
    My appreciation of them seems a bit different from the rest of humanity's as I like 'Beneath' as much as the original and I have no problems whatsoever with the low budget 'Battle'.
    My favourite is Conquest though.

I'm so happy they didn't screw up this reboot. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the first one. Very much looking forward to the new one. The marketing for this brings some good graphic design. Check out the seventies vibe in the online 'comic' on the original site.
    http://www.dawnofapes.com/#comic

Both those first and last pages would make for better filmposters than what thay are going for with that, admittedly already nice, Caesar in warpaint portrait.
    Last edited by krisvds; 27-Dec-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkest Hour View Post
    Essentially?
    Haul more rocks.

Respectfully disagree.
    This showing was not a worldwide phenomenon of slave ape rebellion.Does the phrase emperor ape ring a bell?
    That is what Caesar was.
    Writing in the sky(ICBM bomber missile contrails)maybe there is radioactive rubble in this new one who can say at this point?
    Merely an escape of one enclave of a small segment of a zoological curiosity of captive apes from a somewhat repressive "monkey house" across a bridge to a redwood forest does not = Conquest of the Planet of the Apes .That doody was worldwide!

I did not notice any nemesis or ally such as MacDonald or .gov Breck or the rest of a totalitarian cabal of nation-state leaders hunkering down in hardened bunkers.
    Stick to Ghostbusters and Superman Batman Back to the Future posts(I keed /sarc).

Lovely short lived Mr.Comics adaptation below:
    http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wik...et_of_the_Apes
    This is what this movie should be.
    CHURCHDOOR alpha and omega FTW

DH
    Wow....this type of post look familiar to anyone else?...

You should really re-watch Conquest if you think it's global. It's actually in a smaller scale than "Rise". It's all within the same complex within the same city.

And although it's not a by-the-books remake of Conquest, which I mentioned, what other film in the original series would you say it's closest to? Caesar is the more intelligent ape, he's confined within a "prison", his human companion is killed or taken away, the apes are abused, Caesar trains the apes to fight back, they leave the "prison" complex, then take over the city. Seems pretty close to Conquest, if you ask me. Not to mention the writers clearly state that Conquest was the film they wanted to draw the most inspiration from.