Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romero's Empire Of The Dead (comic)

Zombie Flesh Eater

England

Romero's Empire Of The Dead (comic)

New fifteen issue Marvel comic series set in Romero's 'Dead' universe, written by George himself, called Empire of the Dead will drop episodically in January. Click for article.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh aye, I was reading about this a while back on Daily Dead - hopefully they'll release a trade paperback of this and I can dig into it. It'll be interesting to see what he does within this medium.

"These zombies are starting to show sparks of real care and concern for each other," Romero said. "I'm not going to go all the way to Omega Man where they take over the world, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. We've got some new rules and new characters, and we're taking it in a completely different direction."
    I'm all at once intrigued, and a little bit worried ... the above could so easily just come off as silly, or unbelievable, or whatever, but at the same time it's good he's not just doing Dawn of the Dead v2.0 or something lazy.

Is it just me, or does this festering zombie chap look a little bit like Michael Rooker?

United States
    It's not just you.

As for the aforementioned comic...sorry, but that sounds horrible.

United States
    It can't be worse than Toe Tags. I bought that series out of sheer obligation to GAR.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    "These zombies are starting to show sparks of real care and concern for each other"????

God damn you Romero. You have to go full Lucas on the genre you basically invented don't you?

This sounds like it could be worse than twilight.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Hmmmm!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Norway
    Did he not already write a comic series where one woman were riding an elephant and killing zombies?

Super Moderator

UK
    Preview pages (no text):

Thoughts?

United States
    Who can honestly tell how its going to be
    I was in an unfinished zombie movie

Ireland
    What's with the flippin vampire at the end?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    What's with the flippin vampire at the end?
    It's a metaphor for sucking the genre dry

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Oh I do hope these vampires sparkle in the sunshine...

Vampires in Romero's dead universe... I think George has been pilfering ideas from the fiction section - namely the short story titled, Preservation of the Species.
    I was ok with what I was seeing in those panels, that was until the guy from The Crystal Maze turns up at the end. George has been making me a bit more sad for a while now.

Administrator

England

Romero's Empire Of The Dead (comic) - Poptards Podcast

Jump to 47m40s - http://www.jaydotdee.com/poptards/PopTards206.mp3

They seem fairly positive about it...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    More preview pages here:

http://dailydead.com/preview-pages-g...empire-dead-2/

Bit of cover art here:

http://dailydead.com/cover-art-georg...pire-dead-2-3/

And some more preview pages here (with text):

http://dailydead.com/new-preview-pag...empire-dead-1/

Notice the dialogue reference to Dawn?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Oh I do hope these vampires sparkle in the sunshine...

Vampires in Romero's dead universe... I think George has been pilfering ideas from the fiction section - namely the short story titled, Preservation of the Species.
    I was ok with what I was seeing in those panels, that was until the guy from The Crystal Maze turns up at the end. George has been making me a bit more sad for a while now.
    There have been a few recent fan e-mails that commented on similarities between characters from my stories, and those in George's newer films. One kid thought it was funny that Big Daddy from Land was a pump jockey, the same as my zombie in Dead Fall: the novel ( who I splatted before he could get smart ). And I winced slightly as Cholo took out the garbage to a landfill that reminded us of the one in Tuesday Morning Pickup.
    And I did get fan mail for Preservation from a guy named George (GRMonLI@aol.com ), back in October of 2000, who stated that Zombies and Vampires were his two favorites and it was great to see them mixed. Still, fourteen years later, and what's going with Empire that made you think of Preservation? Details, Man! I need details!
    Last edited by wayzim; 29-Jan-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: B,cuz