Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica (film) - Reboot

Administrator

England

Battlestar Galactica (film) - Reboot

Yes, the new film being discussed will re-envisage the plot - http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ba...ve-1201153687/

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, the new film being discussed will re-envisage the plot - http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ba...ve-1201153687/

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I'm open to it. Anything to wash away the shit taste of that awful Sci Fi crap awhile back...
    Maybe Buck Rogers will get a reboot, too.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Less Terminator/The Matrix more Star Wars and I'm a happy chappy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Thought the latest reboot - which is still fairly recent - to be among the best sci-fi series / franchises ever. I'm extremely sceptical about this.

Ireland
    Just finished dragging myself through the "new" series and while it started out ok, I really was only watching at the end to see how they were going to end it.

It wasn't worth it.

So many bad things in that show.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    To be honest, yeah, maybe that's how it'll turn out. I'm halfway through Season 3 at this point. Season 1 and 2 were majesticly great. Season 3 not so much, so far...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'm open to it. Anything to wash away the shit taste of that awful Sci Fi crap awhile back...
    Maybe Buck Rogers will get a reboot, too.
    The series 5-6yrs ago? It was generally very good IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    The series 5-6 yrs ago? It was generally very good IMHO!
    I'm sure he meant the original series with Lorne Greene from the 70's? Let the word go forth.

Where Gene Roddenberry had once sold Star Trek as; Wagon Train to The Stars, Battlestar Galactica was literally Wagon Train from The Stars. The best part of the show was the intro by Patrick Macnee.

Meanwhile, the first season of Buck Rogers in The 25th Century rocked!

Space Girls were definitely easy on the eyes for this teenager at that time. After that, the ladies were told to put their clothes back on, even Princess Ardala, the show tried to get more serious and it was just no fun anymore.

Super Moderator

United States
    The series 5-6yrs ago? It was generally very good IMHO!
    It was great, especially at first, but it started to get crushed under the weight of its own metaplot...it really stalled for me after the first few seasons and became pretty slapdash late in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Season 1 and 2 were majesticly great. Season 3 not so much, so far...
    ^This, exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Where Gene Roddenberry had once sold Star Trek as; Wagon Train to The Stars, Battlestar Galactica was literally Wagon Train from The Stars. The best part of the show was the intro by Patrick Macnee.

Original BSG was great, for its day and medium.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Let's not get too rose tinted about the original film/series - Note: 2m30s in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7CvyLCZtMg
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Let's not get too rose tinted about the original film/series - Note: 2m30s in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7CvyLCZtMg&t=2m36s
    As I said, for its day and medium, Neil. It had highs and lows, but was ultimately a product of late 70s US television programming, which is a pretty big hurdle to overcome for its genre and the amount of costuming and effects it had to include. I'd say there's 14 or 15 very solid episodes from the original series.

Battlestar 1980, however, I'd need an 11 foot pole to touch (because some things you can't even bear to touch with a 10 foot pole).

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    To be honest, yeah, maybe that's how it'll turn out. I'm halfway through Season 3 at this point. Season 1 and 2 were majesticly great. Season 3 not so much, so far...
    Ah right, you're only on 3. I won't mention anything and spoil it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I watched the newer BSG via Netflix a few episodes a week start to finish. My son started watching with me but dropped out about midway. He simply couldn't take it anymore.

It was solid for the first couple of seasons. But it got weird. Then it got slow. Then it got weird and slow. Then it really went downhill.

At about the point where they had flashbacks from within flashbacks I was seriously questioning my ability to see it through. But hey, it's BSG! I wanted to see how it ended!

And I did. I watched every single episode in order start to finish. That said, I have no fear of spoiling it for people who haven't seen. Why? BECAUSE I HAVE NO F'IN CLUE WHAT HAPPENED!!!
    Last edited by Trin; 09-Apr-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ya
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    I'm sure he meant the original series with Lorne Greene from the 70's? Let the word go forth.
    Nope. The original was da bomb.

Meanwhile, the first season of Buck Rogers in The 25th Century rocked!
    Yep! Around the same time I went back and rewatched BST, I also did a full run on Buck. Great show, and I always love it when he breaks out some of his killer dance moves...
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Original BSG was great, for its day and medium.
    Yepper!!!
    Let's not get too rose tinted about the original film/series...
    I'll admit it. They're rosy as all get out!!!

Another crap reboot was V. I watched it up until they took that long break, pretty much 4 episodes?
    I'd love to see it done right on the big screen.