Thread: Changing all your passwords?

Administrator

England

Changing all your passwords?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26954540

Several tech firms are urging people to change all their passwords after the discovery of a major security flaw.

The Yahoo blogging platform Tumblr has advised the public to "change your passwords everywhere - especially your high-security services like email, file storage and banking".

I've changed my google, paypal, ebay and even my account password here, just incase!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    FFS now I've got to go and change every bloody one of them! All that muscle memory and chant-like remembering of them all is ruined.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    FFS now I've got to go and change every bloody one of them! All that muscle memory and chant-like remembering of them all is ruined.
    I've not bothered changing password for regular forums and the like; Nothing there that could be used maliciously/financially.

I've obviously changed my one here (as I'd suggest you should) as the account has some "power" to it can could be used maliciously.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, some things aren't worth changing, but so many other things are - HPOTD included.

What's strange is there doesn't seem to have been much on the news about it - for something that could potentially risk all of your passwords (or the majority of them), you'd have thought the news would have been full of reports about it, but today is the first I'm hearing of it via this thread!

What's also strange/annoying is how little they really seem to know about some of it - i.e. have passwords been compromised, or have they not? In the articles I've read some experts have said don't bother, while others are in the middle, as others are spelling out potential doom.

Administrator

England
    From my understanding they're suggesting the encryption was not as secure as it should have been. So transmissions could be "sniffed" and broken. If those had logon/password credentials, voila!

IMHO I don't think it's particular dangerous as I suspect most "important" packets are a needle in a haystack. But none-the-less, I'm being careful.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heart...ites-affected/

That site's got a bunch of listings as to what was and wasn't affected apparently and which you definitely do need to change your PW for ... still though, I'm just changing feckin' everything. *grumble grumble grumble*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heart...ites-affected/

That site's got a bunch of listings as to what was and wasn't affected apparently and which you definitely do need to change your PW for ... still though, I'm just changing feckin' everything. *grumble grumble grumble*
    ^Good to see a (hopefully) comprehensive list.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I changed my tumblr PW.... that's it. So... *shrugs* I'm broke anyway. Who cares?

United States
    If I start making sense or liking recent GAR movies then you can assume it's not really me.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.