Thread: Penny Dreadful (TV series)

Administrator

England

Penny Dreadful (TV series)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    I'll probably give it a watch like.
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully Sky Atlantic show this soon after it airs in America. I'll definitely be trying this one out, and hopefully it also lives up to the weird and mysterious promise of the trailer and cast.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hopefully Sky Atlantic show this soon after it airs in America. I'll definitely be trying this one out, and hopefully it also lives up to the weird and mysterious promise of the trailer and cast.
    Penny Dreadful had me at Eva Green. If it's a good show as well, that's just icing on the cake.

Administrator

England
    Well, the reviews seem +ve - http://www.tv.com/shows/penny-dreadf...-140046752590/

It starts here in the UK tonight.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, the reviews seem +ve - http://www.tv.com/shows/penny-dreadf...-140046752590/

It starts here in the UK tonight.
    I had a hard time getting into it and it seemed like a retread of other media that's been a bit beaten to death.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I had a hard time getting into it and it seemed like a retread of other media that's been a bit beaten to death.
    Aye.

Watched the first episode last night ... can't say I was gripped in any way by it, unfortunately. I'll give it another episode, but meh...

Super Moderator

UK
    Ultimately I didn't bother with the second episode. I just had no interest in seeing it at all ... the first episode was, to me at least, so underwhelming unfortunately.

Now, "Fargo" on the other hand - that show I'm absolutely loving!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ultimately I didn't bother with the second episode. I just had no interest in seeing it at all ... the first episode was, to me at least, so underwhelming unfortunately.

Now, "Fargo" on the other hand - that show I'm absolutely loving!
    Fargo... on watch list... as is 24... as is Penny Dreadful... etc...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    OK... Six episodes in, and slowly enjoying it more...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    What I saw in the first episode was enough to give the others a chance. I think the vampires are pretty cool in this series, and I like the other "monsters" that have been introduced as well. We are five episodes in, and will likely catch up tonight.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Just finished watching the first season the other night and I gotta say that I love the show. It's so beautifully written and acted that I feel it's probably the most honest interpretation of a mash-up between this properties from a literary point of view. Every character is played closer to their original literary portrayals than the more pulpy/fantastical iterations which have become the norm across modern media. As a consequence of this the show takes on a much slower and deliberate pace which again I feel is akin to the novels and gives characters space to truly develop. Speaking of which Eva Green's portrayal of Vanessa Ives is worthy of every award she's eligible for. From the seance episode and onwards she stole the show and never gave it back, the way she contorted her body at times had me fearing for her physical well-being:

I love the depth and nuance she gave the possession storyline and especially this scene that gave us the first glimpse into how deeply involved in the darkness she was. So much so that I made a large-format poster of it on printed sheets here which is soon to grace my living room when it finally arrives.

Administrator

England
    Fingers crossed the second series can build on the first!
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Indeed. I can't wait to see what the show's take on Dracula is gonna be like.