Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Ship (apocalyptic TV series)

Twitching

Undisclosed

The Last Ship (apocalyptic TV series)

Could be right up some users streets, it is about the crew of a missile destroyer surviving the collapse of society.

The first episode picks up four months into a missile destroyers last mission day in the arctic, they have been radio silent and gathering biological samples from the nesting grounds of birds. When they raise communications with the US they find the science team deceived them and their mission is part of a larger goal to create a cure for a flu that has wiped out half the worlds population and caused societies to collapse. They are pursued by the Russian Navy which intends to seize power in the chaos and their first port of call is Guantanamo Bay in Cuba where surviving inmates killed the few surviving soldiers and horded the food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I will watch this. It has the potential to be good.
    However, like so many apocalyptic TV-series and movies, this should be based around the drama and hard decisions in an end of the world scenario.

Part of the reason why I stopped following TWD and why I gave up on BSG was because of the stupid dilemmas that were plagueing our main cast of characters. It's the end of the world - start acting like it! And if this show doesn't take it's characters seriously, it's gonna blow major balls. BSG was great at times, but got so lost along the way that there was just no way of recovering from the stupid subplots about who's frakking who. And TWD, don't get me started. It could have been great about how harsh survival in a zombie infested world could be - but turns out arguing about gender roles (in all the wrong ways no matter) is as dramatic as it's gonna go and when that gets boring, lets throw some comic book katanas in there.

From the look of it, this show's characters strike me as a bit cardboard cut out, but hey, we'll see. Maybe it's got something that Under the Dome, for instance, didn't.

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't know. They changed the whole premise of the book and I highly doubt that the tv series will hold to the tone of the book's ending.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    I saw the first episode too. It had it's moments, but certain things if found to be a bit of a stretch to suspend disbelief. Mainly the fact that there's now this single American ship supposedly left operating in the Atlantic, and that it's cargo of scientists and plague samples are so vital to the future of the world that the acting American president essentially tells them, "we know what you have, and the Russians are hunting you, but you're going to have to make it all the way back here on you're own. Good luck."
    Really? There's not a single former allied nation vessel anywhere to be found to offer support for such a vital mission? There's no American carrier groups or nuclear subs anywhere to be found that can come assist them? All of the ships and their crews were in dry dock when this plague swept across the world?
    I know that would destroy the suspense of the show to have this destroyer team up with other vessels to make it home, but those are the kind of things that just make it hard for me to enjoy shows like this one. I'll probably still keep watching it for a few more episodes to see where the plot's going.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, that's kinda stupid... Yet somehow's Russia has got a whole slough of ships and airplanes to attack. They do have a pretty big arctic fleet but... come on... Canada? Norway? Anyone??

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I would think the carriers and super carriers would have been forced to dock for supplies or been the natural retreat of civilians and ended up contaminated, can't imagine any surviving with anything more then a skeleton crew, there could be hundreds of boats and I would wager they'd stay radio silent and avoid the destroyer to ride the plague out.
    There is one problem, nuclear power plants, the eastern US, Japan and Europe would be places to avoid unless they did something to prevent venting and fuel rods exploding in the first month or prior to the outbreak.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    At first I was a bit pessimistic about the entire show taking place in a ship... but wow it's actually pretty good.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I was looking for a good show after The Game of Thrones and I got it.

Administrator

England
    So people rate this then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So people rate this then?
    Yep. I'm on board ( pun intended).
    The good far outweighs the bad.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Damn! ANOTHER series on the list
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Oooh, sounds interesting!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

England
    This doesn't look bad, especially now that I have no TV series to currently watch.

Gonna give this a spin (currently 7 episodes out there, enough to get stuck into and judge it)

Cheers for the heads up!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    This doesn't look bad, especially now that I have no TV series to currently watch.

Gonna give this a spin (currently 7 episodes out there, enough to get stuck into and judge it)

Cheers for the heads up!
    Check out The Leftovers on HBO as well.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

Undisclosed
    They resolved three arcs in last nights episode, three very important ones, you have to figure their return to the mainlands going to be huge.