Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBox - Kinect = More popular

Administrator

England

XBox - Kinect = More popular

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-sales-a...moving-kinect/

Microsoft has confirmed that it’s been able to entice more gamers into picking up its newest console. Just how much has the new Kinect-less bundle impacted sales? According to Xbox Wire, sales for June have more than doubled those of the sales accumulated during the month of May.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I find this quite funny, but also not surprising - nobody wants to be forced into using some shit bit of tech that's got little real use. Waggling your limbs about gets old real fast, and most of the time you want to relax while gaming - not leaping around - plus, who wants a console watching and listening all the time ... and who the hell wants to 'watch their favourite shows as they play their favourite game' anyway? If either are your "favourite" you wouldn't be splitting your attention on them - I hate all this 'must do everything at the same time' mentality being pushed by companies.

How about you do what you're suppose to do - let us play games - and do it well?

So a stupid bit of tech nobody wants (that made it loads more expensive) has been taken away and bingo - sales are boosted. I'd like to know, in time, how many gamers then "choose" to buy a Kinect separately afterwards versus how many remain Kinect-free.

I've still not hopped onto the new generation, and won't be for some time yet. No idea whether I'd get a PS4 or an Xbox One.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Also a lot of people buying the unit are putting it into small rooms/bedrooms etc where Kinect simply isn't practical!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Also a lot of people buying the unit are putting it into small rooms/bedrooms etc where Kinect simply isn't practical!
    That too! I remember the demonstrations always seemed to be in very large rooms with naff all furniture!

England
    Kinnect is part of MS strategy for future VR technology BTW. It's not just a camera that you waggle your arms on front of like the wii
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Kinnect is part of MS strategy for future VR technology BTW. It's not just a camera that you waggle your arms on front of like the wii
    Maybe in the future it'll become something cool and worthwhile ... now it's just creepy and basically nobody wants it.

England
    Now that I've had this console for a while, I have to say that the voice control is outstanding when calibrated correctly. It's a cool feature that the non Kinnect people are going to miss out on
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

United States
    Yeah, taking out the kinect didnt help it too much, the ps4 is out selling it 3:1... and the ps4 recently just hit 10 million in sells.

United States
    They really should have just integrated the Kinect microphone into the console itself. It's been really useful, but I haven't found myself using the gestures/motion controls at all.

Overall I'm happy with the XB1 so far, and it's been good watching Phil Spencer take control of the Xbox division. He's taking the necessary steps to make he best games console possible, especially in the face of the superior hardware of the PS4. Sony's exclusives are severely lacking this holiday season, and I think the combination of Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and The Master Chief Collection will make a lot of XB1 gamers happy in the next few months.

Being Attacked

United States
    Its a good thing exclusives dont exist to be sold for the holidays, they exist to sell consoles. And the ps4 is outselling 3:1
    how many times can they reboot old halo games? They've done it more than once. Microsoft just knows the series is screwed now that 343 industries is making it. Bungie got smart and are starting to favor the ps4 with destiny.
    In the long run, ps4 exclusives, and exclusive game content, take the cake. The last of us remastered, (the most game of the year awards ever) the order 1886, blood borne, uncharted 4, planetside 2 (also on pc), and no mans sky.

Ireland
    I hate exclusive titles. Fuck that crap.

But rebooting 'Halo'...just typical and indicative of what's wrong with the entertainment industry in general. Churning out "named" titles, ad nauseum. But Microsoft aren't the only ones guilty. If I ever see another Mario bros. game, I think I'll go on the warpath.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Being Attacked

United States
    Well system exclusives are sometimes paid for but they are usually made by first party devs.

Example: naughty dog made "the last of us". Naughty dog is owned by sony computer entertainment and all the games they make will all ways be exclusive to the playstation.

Example of paid exclusive: crystal dynamics makes "tomb raider" microsoft paid them a sh*t load of money to make the next game xbox exclusive.

Other developers such as bungie, were under a contract with microsoft making halo games. Microsoft owns the halo brand not bungie, because bungie gave their rights up so they could start making games for the ps4.

Exclusives exist to make people want to buy one console over the other.
    Last edited by thesurvivor; 25-Aug-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: jdn

Super Moderator

UK
    Although at least for PS4 owners the Tomb Raider exclusive is only for a limited amount of time.

I hope Quantum Break works out better for Remedy than, unfortunately, Alan Wake did. Both are Xbox exclusives. AW is a superb game and eventually crossed over a million sales, but it took a while to get there as it got trampled by Red Dead Redemption, which was released the same day in America IIRC, and only a week later in the UK. Had it been available on both platforms they could have gained more sales.

I've still not crossed over to the next gen. There's still games I've got to catch up on.

Being Attacked

United States
    I dont play xbox so i wouldnt know. Quantum break lool pretty good though.

As far as the next tomb raider goes, im not getting it. They made their choice. Uncharted is a way better series anyway and it will far out sell it.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by thesurvivor View Post
    Exclusives exist to make people want to buy one console over the other.
    Yes, I know.

That's the very reason why I don't like them.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....