Thread: The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (film)

Administrator

England

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (film)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Let's hope it goes out on a high note... (Higher than the last two!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CimPWFadVsU
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Reviews sound +ve! - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/H...ies-66404.html

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies is the undeniably the best of the trilogy, as it's not only a film in perpetual motion, but it's also a lean and quick experience that packs every moment with purpose.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    #1 Runtime: 169 / 182 mins (theatrical/extended)
    #2 Runtime: 161 / 186 mins (theatrical/extended)
    #3 Runtime: 144 mins

Interesting ... so, relatively speaking, it's quite lean compared to the other movies! My arse shall be thankful when I come to see the flick in the cinema this month!

Looking forward to seeing it (and the extended edition of #2 if Santa is agreeable ) ... and looking forward to then being able to re-watch all of the (extended) Rings trilogy hot-off-the-heels of the Hobbit flicks.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    #1 Runtime: 169 / 182 mins (theatrical/extended)
    #2 Runtime: 161 / 186 mins (theatrical/extended)
    #3 Runtime: 144 mins

Interesting ... so, relatively speaking, it's quite lean compared to the other movies! My arse shall be thankful when I come to see the flick in the cinema this month!

Looking forward to seeing it (and the extended edition of #2 if Santa is agreeable ) ... and looking forward to then being able to re-watch all of the (extended) Rings trilogy hot-off-the-heels of the Hobbit flicks.
    No spoilers from me MZ but I am a massive fan of the Extended Editions (EE) and haven't even bother buying the theatrical editions (TE) of The Hobbit.

The DOS EE is a much better film than the TE and what has been put in really adds to both the story and the enjoyment. Cant wait to see The Battle Of The FIve Armies.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    No spoilers from me MZ but I am a massive fan of the Extended Editions (EE) and haven't even bother buying the theatrical editions (TE) of The Hobbit.

The DOS EE is a much better film than the TE and what has been put in really adds to both the story and the enjoyment. Cant wait to see The Battle Of The FIve Armies.
    Good to hear it. Not that I didn't like DoS, I rather did, but hearing that it's better in the EE form is nice to know.

Fellowship of the Ring I've only ever seen in the EE, while Two Towers and Return of the King I've seen in both forms and I agree - the extended editions are superior.

I've got the EE of An Unexpected Journey and want to get the EE for Desolation of Smaug ... as well as the extra content in the film I'm a big fan of the appendices and just obsess over them for the duration and really get stuck in. You really feel a part of the production watching those, exactly what any making of should aspire to do.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Good to hear it. Not that I didn't like DoS, I rather did, but hearing that it's better in the EE form is nice to know.

Fellowship of the Ring I've only ever seen in the EE, while Two Towers and Return of the King I've seen in both forms and I agree - the extended editions are superior.

I've got the EE of An Unexpected Journey and want to get the EE for Desolation of Smaug ... as well as the extra content in the film I'm a big fan of the appendices and just obsess over them for the duration and really get stuck in. You really feel a part of the production watching those, exactly what any making of should aspire to do.
    I think with The Hobbit EE especially they help the flow of the film. The Theatrical editions while good were a little action orientated and I think the extended parts to DOS really help the flow of the film. I like the extra Rivendell scenes in AUJ but felt a little short changed with the additions, I don’t get that with DOS it all adds to the film. I gave my theatrical editions of LOTR to my parents because I find the extended editions far more watchable.

I haven’t watched any extras yet so I can’t comment on them but I can’t wait to sit and watch all six EE in order.

Administrator

England
    Saw it last night.

Probably enjoyed it the most of the three, but still felt a bit clunky/going-through-the-motions at times!

8/10
    -Carl Sagan