Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westworld (TV series) - Ed Harris

Administrator

England

Westworld (TV series) - Ed Harris

http://screencrush.com/hbo-westworld...-man-in-black/

HBO’s forthcoming J.J. Abrams-produced ‘Westworld‘ adaptation continues to fire up some major star power for its pilot. Not only has ‘X-Men‘ star James Marsden been confirmed for a role, but Ed Harris has landed his first regular TV gig as the major big bad of HBO’s ‘Westworld.’

Read More: HBO TV Westworld Casts Ed Harris and James Marsden | http://screencrush.com/hbo-westworld...ckback=tsmclip
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    How can this be dragged out for a TV series?

Shades of 'Under the Dome' possible here.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    How can this be dragged out for a TV series?

Shades of 'Under the Dome' possible here.
    And we all know how well that turned out! Well, everyone apart from me, as I didn't bother watching it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And we all know how well that turned out! Well, everyone apart from me, as I didn't bother watching it!
    And keep it that way. Seriously, feck Under the Dome ... it's pish.

As for Westworld - just purely going on the news of it today (didn't know of it prior to today - as an adaptation for HBO, I mean), I say it could be cool, particularly with HBO so it won't have to be all censored and soft-arsed like Under The Dome on weak-sauce US network telly with all it's rules and fear of irate 'soccer moms'.

How to extend it to a full series though, yeah, that could be difficult. I suppose it could be a slow-burn one-off mini-series.

Administrator

England

Westworld (TV series)

-Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, this review loves it! - http://www.cutprintfilm.com/tv/tv-re...tworld-review/

Hiccups like this aside, the show is at times a wonder to behold. The world-building at play here is fascinating, as is the overall look of the show — a mix of cold, sterile laboratories and vast, sweeping vistas. Westworld may take some time to hit its stride, but the show is off to a strong, almost wonderful, start. The psychology at play here isn’t very deep when you get down to it, but at least this is a show willing to ask questions of its audience, and have them ask questions in return. Westworld probably won’t be the next Game of Thrones for audiences, but don’t be surprised if it builds up its own rabid following.

Grade: A-
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    So I watched the first episode...

It was strong on the concept front, and the scale and look of the show is groovy, but the first episode was much more concerned with the overall idea rather than anything deeper. Perhaps it was designed that way to hook audiences with the concept first and then get into the characters more, because on a characterisation front it was a bit sketchy - Ed Harris stands out, as does the Evan Rachel Wood character, but beyond that we only get sketches of these people (plus, some little bits were kind of confusing) - and I didn't learn a single, solitary character name.

Hopefully in future episodes they'll dig far more into the characters, their motivations, who they are etc so that we have something to hook us emotionally in addition to the strong conceptual hook that already exists.

The clarity of where this show is going and what these people want is rather murky in the first episode. Compare it to something like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, which both set up their characters and situations very clearly from the outset, and you can see a particular weakness in Westworld's debut episode. But like I said, hopefully they'll quickly rectify these weaknesses as the season continues.

Administrator

England
    OK... Two episodes in and I have to say, I'm struggling a bit to enjoy it - The story lines/threads all just seems a bit "weak" so far.

I'll give it a couple more in the hope it's all going to build up...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    OK... Two episodes in and I have to say, I'm struggling a bit to enjoy it - The story lines/threads all just seems a bit "weak" so far.

I'll give it a couple more in the hope it's all going to build up...
    Yeah. The concept is fine and dandy, but it's getting into the characters that is the main problem. There's so many of them, for one thing, and they've mostly only been sketched-in - or they don't seem to be making enough progress (e.g. the farmer's daughter character) ... and that's another thing: I can't remember a single one of the character's names! I'm not the best with names, but I should know a handful by now - and yet I don't know a single one of them.

The Ed Harris character is interesting, but kind of one dimensional, and other characters (such as that of Anthony Hopkins) are potentially interesting, but the writing seems to be playing it awfully coy about what anyone's intentions are. The show feels a bit distracted by the concept and the sci-fi elements.

I'll continue with it for, like you say, but I really thought I'd be more into this after a couple of episodes (the trailer looked strong) ... but wasn't this delayed a whole year for some reason? I seem to remember something about that. *checks* Yeah, it was supposed to air about this time last year - I'm not sure why it was delayed, though.

There's definitely potential in it, but with so many characters (hosts, guests, and management) scattered about with few clear goals for any of them, it's hard to find people to attach yourself to - and therefore care about. It feels like a show in serious need of focus.

Administrator

England
    ..and the synthetic humans I'm suppose to care about with their previous histories poppnig back into their memory after a "magical phrase" is said to them? Ummm... I don't...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    OK... Struggling more and more with it. Actually finding it tedious at times.

Not going to last more than another episode if this doesn't kick up a gear!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Just finished the first episode of that. Thought it was very good. In fact, you could walk away and not see another. It works very well as a 'Twilight Zone'(ish) cautionary short.

While a good start, I still have the same reservation as I said above. How can Crighton's original be dragged out for a multi episode series. Or worse, a multi series TV show?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Just finished the first episode of that. Thought it was very good. In fact, you could walk away and not see another. It works very well as a 'Twilight Zone'(ish) cautionary short.

While a good start, I still have the same reservation as I said above. How can Crighton's original be dragged out for a multi episode series. Or worse, a multi series TV show?
    Let me know what you thingk after four or five episodes please?!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Been enjoying it so far, but still an episode or two behind.

Waiting for some revelations about the background/overarching stories to really have something to dig my teeth into.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Let me know what you thingk after four or five episodes please?!
    So, I burned through 6 episodes yeasterday and I have to say I'm, enjoying it. I have niggles and nitpicks

like there's no violence between guests? Blood transfusions of robot synthetic blood seems remarkably easy?
    and as said the story of the original won't hold up for more than one series in my opinion.

It's very much a slow burner and I've no doubt better enjoyed as a binge rather than a week to week show. Ideally, this would be a one shot miniseries, but knowing how TV companies work these days they'll try to drag it out to the point where nobody gives a shit anymore, or it's "too expesive" and we'll be left with a half baked effort, ending on a cliff hanger, that has become a feature of American TV shows.

although it's far, far more enjoyable than 'Under the Dome', I'm still thinking 'Under the Dome'.