Thread: UK Folks - New Dr Who (TV Series)

Administrator

England

UK Folks - New Dr Who (TV Series)

Can someone explain the ending of the new episode (with the robot leader in the promised land)? I suspect it was a reference to something in the past series (that I didn't watch)?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Can someone explain the ending of the new episode (with the robot leader in the promised land)? I suspect it was a reference to something in the past series (that I didn't watch)?
    Yeah I didn't get that either. There seemed to be several references to past events/episodes that went right over my head because I just don't remember those events (e.g. there was some line about some woman on a phone talking to Clara - eh?). I presume the bit at the end - the 'promised land' - was something in a previous episode. I seemed to kind of remember the set, and the actress, but beyond that I had no idea. They seem to do that quite often on Dr Who and it's annoying as a casual viewer - you don't have to reference it in a really dumb way, but a little help would be nice.

As for the episode - it felt overlong - like it was only 80 minutes because it needed to be that long to justify it being in cinemas and being an 'event' etc. I liked some of the stuff in there, the Doctor/Clara stuff where she was struggling with his transformation, but the cyborg enemies didn't particularly do it for me. They were kind of creepy, but I don't know, it felt kind of lacking - and, as I've said, drawn out over too many minutes. It kind of felt like 60 minutes of story wedged into 80 minutes of screentime, heh.

In some ways it was kind of awkward too - the transition to Capaldi has been dragged out over several months, so the momentum of that was lost, if that makes sense.

We'll see how it goes from here with Capaldi.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah I didn't get that either. There seemed to be several references to past events/episodes that went right over my head because I just don't remember those events (e.g. there was some line about some woman on a phone talking to Clara - eh?). I presume the bit at the end - the 'promised land' - was something in a previous episode. I seemed to kind of remember the set, and the actress, but beyond that I had no idea. They seem to do that quite often on Dr Who and it's annoying as a casual viewer - you don't have to reference it in a really dumb way, but a little help would be nice.

As for the episode - it felt overlong - like it was only 80 minutes because it needed to be that long to justify it being in cinemas and being an 'event' etc. I liked some of the stuff in there, the Doctor/Clara stuff where she was struggling with his transformation, but the cyborg enemies didn't particularly do it for me. They were kind of creepy, but I don't know, it felt kind of lacking - and, as I've said, drawn out over too many minutes. It kind of felt like 60 minutes of story wedged into 80 minutes of screentime, heh.

In some ways it was kind of awkward too - the transition to Capaldi has been dragged out over several months, so the momentum of that was lost, if that makes sense.

We'll see how it goes from here with Capaldi.
    Yeh, felt overlong, and over clunky IMHO - Almost painfully so at times... That said, it's the first Dr Who I've watched in a loooong time, and it's intrigued me enough to watch the next episode.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan