Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

Administrator

England

Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ghost...ple-67609.html

...director Paul Feig has accepted the challenge of updating the Ghostbusters for a new generation, and he’s bringing The Heat screenwriter Katie Dippold along for the ride. Feig took the news one step further on Twitter, proclaiming that the new team indeed will be female-led, as many had speculated when his name was attached to the project.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... frankly "The Heat" was only alright, nowhere near Ghostbusters in terms of comedy or quality ... so that doesn't fill me with hope.

As for an 'all female Ghostbusters' ... ... I don't know. Ghostbusters is very much those four guys with Ivan Reitman directing. I mean who knows, it could turn out to be an excellent film ... but no connection to the established universe and characters and, it seems, creators of Ghostbusters at all? Is this just going to be pretty much a remake? I don't envy Feig et al whatsoever - Ghostbusters is so steadfastly identified with those four guys and it worked brilliantly - coming up with a new film in the franchise, let alone one that's worthy of the name, is going to be insanely hard.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an all female cast - or an all female Ghostbusters - I thought Bridesmaids was superb, and this could turn out to be wonderful ... ... but I do worry that in this instance it could easily come off as just a gimmick. It could come off as a remake that's desperate to rinse some more cash out of the name by any means. Colour me concerned until more is known...

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Women aren't funny. PERIOD!

Just how I feel when I watch a comedy with women characters.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 09-Oct-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Needed more.

United States

Preach on Brother Alfalfa, testify Brother Buckwheat.

Just great. Another remake/reboot that I can't wait to not see.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Women aren't funny. PERIOD!

Just how I feel when I watch a comedy with women characters.
    I disagree.

It depends on the product - TV show, movie, comedy special - good characters, good performances, good jokes ... it doesn't matter if they're men or women. What matters, and particularly in this case, is making something that'll be worthy of the iconic stature and well-deserved reputation of the beloved original (even though GB2 apes the first movie a lot, it's aping top tier material with the original creators) ... I'd love that to happen, but I fear disappointment could be the more likely outcome of all this.

This is certainly going to be a perilous tightrope walk for all involved!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Oct-2014 at 04:55 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I disagree.

It depends on the product - TV show, movie, comedy special - good characters, good performances, good jokes ... it doesn't matter if they're men or women. What matters, and particularly in this case, is making something that'll be worthy of the iconic stature and well-deserved reputation of the beloved original (even though GB2 apes the first movie a lot, it's aping top tier material with the original creators) ... I'd love that to happen, but I fear disappointment could be the more likely outcome of all this.

This is certainly going to be a perilous tightrope walk for all involved!
    To step out of sexist mode for a minute, in all seriousness I had never really given the subject serious consideration until I read RF's post & then started to think about it trying to refute his claim.

TBH, all my favorite stand-up's have been guys, all my favorite comedies have been written by, & are starring guys, & I couldn't come up with any female comedians or comedies that have ever made me laugh as hard as the males.

Not that there haven't been gals that have made me laugh per se, but nope, nowhere near as much as guys.

In any case, one of the thing that made GB work IMO was that kind of "guys club" & the relationship they had with each other. I just can't see that with a bunch dames! So there.

United States
    This is all just more hype for what will be the real movie if and when it does happen. Consider the facts. One of the biggest profits of the franchise is the merchandise. In the 80's the all male cast and it's toys and other merchandise mostly appealed to boys. Not always, but mostly. Given an all female cast, not many boys are gonna want toys from "a girls movie". Now a cast of both sexes will be much more marketable. It's a no brainer. But the hype is working well. Almost too good.

Administrator

England
    Complete reboot with no connection to original films - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69078
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    To be fair, most comedians are guys, the vast majority are, so you're far less likely to happen upon a female comedian.

Ultimately it still comes down to the quality of the gags. There's plenty of male comics who are god-awful, but that's also bound to happen, particularly with there being so many. Perhaps it's generally a more male pursuit anyway - the idea of telling jokes, ripping on people and ideas, being silly for a career etc - perhaps women aren't so interested in living that lifestyle themselves. In terms of appeal it comes down to the material the comedian is performing - to each their own etc - I think Sarah Millican is hilarious and likewise with Peter Kay, but there's male and female comics that I also find distinctly unfunny. It's personal taste in the end.

Anyway - no connection to the original movies? Ugh, so it's a remake then, or a "reboot" or whatever they want to call it. I think that could be a mistake and feels a little bit like a slap in the face to the franchise which is so intensely identified with those four guys. Yes, it makes some sense for a clean break - but such a move also has plenty of peril on its side. Like they said on AICN, a GB flick with only half the cast wouldn't have worked ... but just ignoring it entirely? It would have been nice if they'd been able to establish that 'franchise' idea that Ackroyd was going for originally and they could have had him and Hudson helping out like mentors in setting up a new GB franchise in a different city with them as managers of the company.

I'd love for this to be an excellent film that's really fun ... Bridesmaids was brilliant, but The Heat was pretty much forgettable (although I enjoyed Bullock and McCarthy's on-screen chemistry, even though they were let down by a lack of good jokes).

The approach of 'this time it'll be all women' seems a bit binary ... swapping one with the other ... why not mixed? Wouldn't that be more suitable for achieving equality? Flipping from one (common) extreme to the other (far less common) extreme kind of feels like a step behind where we need to be stepping, if that makes sense? Perhaps we're just not quite at that point yet ... hmmm.

Now, that said, there's always going to be call for films with all/mostly male casts and films with all/mostly female casts - it's whatever suits the project. If they can make an entirely female cast work for Ghostbusters then fine by me - but it's going to be a hell of a challenge creating a story that's up-to-snuff with jokes that are likewise. Whether the cast is all male or all female or a mix - in this film or any film - doesn't matter to me. Ultimately it's about the quality of the characters, the story, the comedy/horror/action/whatever ... but as I've said earlier, I don't envy Feig or anyone else involved in this project one bit.

Naturally I'm concerned with how this is going to turn out for many, many reasons. Ghostbusters was and is my Star Wars ... I just hope we don't end up with another Episode One situation (shit characters, shit story, bizarre tone that's totally askew to what is expected of the material, etc)! It'd be great if it was more Episode Seven (presuming that's going to turn out good, but the indicators are there) ... we'll have to see, I guess.

Ireland
    They should just let Ghostbusters die in peace.

A female cast would be rubbish.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What do you mean biblical?

Old Testament, real wrath of god type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forties years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, an all female ghostbusters reboot. Mass hysteria!

F*ck this and f*ck Feig if it happens.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I know it will be awful, but I still want to see it. Love a woman in uniform.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Complete reboot with no connection to original films - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69078

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    What do you mean biblical?

Old Testament, real wrath of god type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forties years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, an all female ghostbusters reboot. Mass hysteria!

F*ck this and f*ck Feig if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I know it will be awful, but I still want to see it. Love a woman in uniform.

Now if THIS is what they have in mind for an all female cast, it could work...

Oh, & Bass, if you say one word about where they got the details wrong on the uniform, I'm gonna punch you.

With all these comments, I'm starting to agree with Trancelike's theory....

Last edited by MoonSylver; 10-Oct-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Who ya gonna call? Not this movie!

United States
    He wasn't alone either. He had close to a million followers by the time his vodka released. They conducted bizarre rumors on FB intending to bring about the third Ghostbusters film and now it looks like IT MAY ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

Seriously though, it totally won't. Not this anyway. My "theory" makes total sense. Hype up the movie with with fanboys ultimate nightmare before actually committing to the real project or watch the whole thing go red giant like a dying star and then just explode. One thing to keep in mind as Ghostbusters fans is not to take anything too seriously. I see fans guilty of that all the time. (Not referring to anyone here) We're Ghostbusters. We have a sense of humor.

Did someone say Phantom Menace?!?!

They were rubbish!
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 10-Oct-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Simon Pegg

Super Moderator

UK
    Ironically enough when I came to watch that clip of Spaced it said it wasn't available in my country - excuse me, YouTube, but Spaced is a British show in the first place!

I'd seen it plenty of times on DVD anyway, so nevermind ... but yeah ... the lifelong Ghostbusters fan in me is dreading a Phantom Menace-like situation. Fingers crossed, eh?!