View Poll Results: How much of a threat does Ebola pose to the West?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • There will only be a few cases

1 25.00%
  • There will be a few dozen or low hundreds of cases

3 75.00%
  • There will be a thousands or more

0 0%
  • There will be a serious outbreak involving tens of thousands

0 0%

Thread: Ebolageddon

Administrator

England

Ebolageddon

Do you feel confident in the official statements that Ebola cannot find a foothold in the West?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    For a second there I thought this was going to be another bloody Asylum picture.

I doubt there will be too much to panic about. Besides, there was a WHO rep on the radio during the week that said the virus was already decreasing it's level of lethality and becoming more and more easy to deal with.

Scarilly, he said that the virus wants to live in the host, so killing it is no good for it.

Funny though, a couple of white Americans catch it and everyone goes haywire.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I do not think we're being told with 100% accuracy with what degree of ease or difficulty it's contracted or spread. Couple that with the fact here in the states they've bungled the handling of the situation from the beginning = I'm very concerned. I don't know to what degree it might break out or spread, but I fear it could be bad.

The 1st case went to the ER with symptoms, told them he'd been to West Africa, & they sent him home! 3 days later, he had to be rushed to the Hospital & later died. Then one of the 77 healthcare workers involved in his treatment, a nurse, has contracted it, even though she followed all CDC protocols.

NOW we have a SECOND nurse diagnosed, whom it turns out was running a slight fever, contacted the CDC to see if she was ok to travel. Since it wasn't over 101 they ok'ed it. She took a commercial flight from Dallas, Tx to Akron, Oh, spent 3 days with family while she stayed "mostly at home" because she knew she "might have been exposed" (did frequent 1 retail store which is now closed), then flew back.

Bad decisions & irresponsibility + potentially a few hundred people exposed all ready means quite frankly, I'm worried.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 16-Oct-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    That same guy from the World Health Org said it's incredibly easy to catch, as it's spread through liquid and since a victim's organs are literally liquifying the danger of contracting the disease is huge.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Wash your hands and you'll be fine.
    If indications of a pandemic start, drink bottled water.

It won't get far here. We dispose of ourcorpses in a different manner and it's got a fairly low lethality rate anyway.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

It won't get far here. We dispose of our corpses in a different manner and it's got a fairly low lethality rate anyway.
    "Wash your hands and you'll be fine." - Really! Hmmm... As regards being difficult to catch, the nurse caught it even when precautions were taken. She recalls touching her face once!

Mortality rate is around 80%! Maybe that reduces with high levels of medical care, but clearly people still die here (in the West) with it.

One thing that concerns me is the one nurse being looked after in Texas has SIXTY medical staff looking after her. What happens if 100 people catch it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I do not think we're being told with 100% accuracy with what degree of ease or difficulty it's contracted or spread. Couple that with the fact here in the states they've bungled the handling of the situation from the beginning = I'm very concerned. I don't know to what degree it might break out or spread, but I fear it could be bad.

The 1st case went to the ER with symptoms, told them he'd been to West Africa, & they sent him home! 3 days later, he had to be rushed to the Hospital & later died. Then one of the 77 healthcare workers involved in his treatment, a nurse, has contracted it, even though she followed all CDC protocols.

NOW we have a SECOND nurse diagnosed, whom it turns out was running a slight fever, contacted the CDC to see if she was ok to travel. Since it wasn't over 101 they ok'ed it. She took a commercial flight from Dallas, Tx to Akron, Oh, spent 3 days with family while she stayed "mostly at home" because she knew she "might have been exposed" (did frequent 1 retail store which is now closed), then flew back.

Bad decisions & irresponsibility + potentially a few hundred people exposed all ready means quite frankly, I'm worried.
    Bonkers isn't it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I read the mortality rate was 50% at it's low end, and in the west that's where it would be. Ebolas infection rate has been exagerated greatly - it's not airborne for one. Of course some people are gonna get infected and if that nurse was touching her face, she wasn't following any CDC Guidelines, that's for sure...

As for those 60 persons, I doubt there's 60 people serving her full time. All types of medical personell handle several cases at the same time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    That same guy from the World Health Org said it's incredibly easy to catch, as it's spread through liquid and since a victim's organs are literally liquifying the danger of contracting the disease is huge.
    Good point. The line that had been being passed around was "personal contact", but when asked to define "personal contact" they said "3 feet"...that's a not what I would define as personal contact!

It won't get far here. We dispose of ourcorpses in a different manner and it's got a fairly low lethality rate anyway.
    Hope you're right, but I'm skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "Wash your hands and you'll be fine." - Really! Hmmm... As regards being difficult to catch, the nurse caught it even when precautions were taken. She recalls touching her face once!

Mortality rate is around 80%! Maybe that reduces with high levels of medical care, but clearly people still die here (in the West) with it.

One thing that concerns me is the one nurse being looked after in Texas has SIXTY medical staff looking after her. What happens if 100 people catch it?

- - - Updated - - -

Bonkers isn't it!
    I read the mortality rate was 50% at it's low end, and in the west that's where it would be. Ebolas infection rate has been exagerated greatly - it's not airborne for one. Of course some people are gonna get infected and if that nurse was touching her face, she wasn't following any CDC Guidelines, that's for sure...

As for those 60 persons, I doubt there's 60 people serving her full time. All types of medical personell handle several cases at the same time.
    Honestly it's hard to know what to believe, as TBH I suspect they're minimizing the lethality & contagiousness to prevent a panic.

Administrator

England

Are you suggesting a 50% mortality rate isn't bad?

Typical methods of passing it is simply getting a bodily fluid of an infected person on your hands, and you then putting it to you eyes or mouth. You do this quite a lot. Think how often you hand touches your face for example...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Just rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Just rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine.

Super Moderator

United States
    Nice Moon!

I will say, it does feel like the CDC and Feds are making a hash of this. I understand that informing the public and managing fears is important, but they really need to focus on managing the problem. Properly lock down people in proximity with travel restrictions and mandated screenings for health care workers on these domestic cases. They don't seem to be moving to get ahead, just reacting.

That said, I would still say more people will die from influenza in the West this Winter than Ebola.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    It's no "Captain Trips".

More people will die from hypothermia in the UK this winter.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Are you suggesting a 50% mortality rate isn't bad?

Typical methods of passing it is simply getting a bodily fluid of an infected person on your hands, and you then putting it to you eyes or mouth. You do this quite a lot. Think how often you hand touches your face for example...
    Maybe I'm being to positive, but Ebola doesn't seem half as bad as any of the previous flu epidemics turned out to be. Like Swine flu, that was a real scare.

I have no doubt that some day we'll face a disease that'll have us scratching our heads in wonder and put a dent on our population to boot. I do not believe Ebola is it. But hey, maybe I'm wrong...
    I just don't have the energy to get riled up about some disease every two years.