Thread: Gone Girl (film) - *SPOILERS*

Administrator

England

Gone Girl (film) - *SPOILERS*

** MAJOR SPOILERS - ONLY READ IF YOU'VE SEEN THE FILM **

If you've seen the film can you tell me how it wasn't obvious to the police/FBI:-
    * There was no footage of Amy appearing at Desi's house the day she was abducted.
    * The footage showed no one going to the house at for weeks.
    * Desi probably had eye witnesses (human and electronic) for his where abouts at the time of the kidnapping.
    * If she's been clubbed badly to knock her down/out and produce all that blood, where was the wound?

Hmmm...

And was she pregnant with Desi's baby at the end?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I can't really say about the other stuff you mention - fair questions. I'd need to see it all again, although perhaps an element of it is to do with - yes, those are plot holes, but the investigation got taken away from the cops and picked up by the FBI, but my sense was that the investigation was pretty much dropped as, to them at least, all seemed well. The media circus moved on, people weren't interested in finding a scoop anymore, and likewise the authorities just let it slide and had no knowledge of Amy doing anything dodgy. The lead detective who did believe Amy was dodgy was locked out of the investigation and had no legal recourse to bring that about.

The "story" or the "truth" had been established in the media and they'd moved on ... just another element of how dark the ending was, how trapped those characters were (the twin sister breaking down in tears sums up the hopelessness).

As for Amy possibly being pregnant with Desi's baby - I wasn't sure whether he completed the transaction before she slit his throat (wow, that was quite a scene - the audience in the cinema were stunned and there were audible "WTF's" going around, haha) ... there's no way it's Nick's baby. I'd have to see it again to pick up on certain aspects again (he had provided a sperm sample and it was being held in a freezer, but I don't recall anything being said in the film to make it seem like she had secreted it away in another facility and had then somehow impregnated herself with it) ... it's either a lie and she's hoping to seduce him to make the lie real, or it's true and in all likelihood it's Desi's baby ... that was a hell of a curve ball to throw at Nick, just as he was getting pumped up to expose her on live TV!

Man ... that film (and the story, not that I've read the book yet) just kept twisting the knife and making things darker and more messed up - I was most impressed!