Thread: FBI blames North Korea for Sony hack

Administrator

England

FBI blames North Korea for Sony hack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30555997

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation says North Korea was behind a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures over a film about its leader Kim Jong-un.

The agency said analysis of malware showed links to North Korea.

Sony withdrew the film The Interview following threats from hackers, who had earlier also released sensitive information stored on Sony computers.

CNN quoted the hackers as welcoming the withdrawal and warning Sony not to release the film in any form.

Sony's decision has outraged many artists. Actor George Clooney told the trade website Deadline on Thursday that the film should be released online.
    Sony should stick a big middle finger up... and offer the film free online!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Screw that. I say release it on the original date, and offer discounts to anyone with concealed weapons licenses.
    Kidding, but amazed they caved in so completely.
    What's next?
    Radical muslims must be taking note.
    "You mean all we have to do is threaten them and they will fold?"
    "Sweeeeeet."
    I personally think it is time for THE WHOLE WORLD to step in and relieve this douche bag from his human rights abuse filled reign of poopiness.
    I'd hope for his own people to do it themselves, but they are probably too weak from starvation...

Super Moderator

UK
    I was watching a Nerdist News piece on this and they said that the reason they'll not want to release it on VOD is for the insurance - if they can show that the film was 'unsafe for release' then they get to cash-in on their insurance. If they stick it out on VOD then they lose out on the insurance and will likely take a big hit on the money they spent (apparently the budget was $44m and the advertising was something like $30m) ... and there's other issues too, there'll no doubt be some kind of behind the scenes legal wranglings going on as some of the participants have back end deals based on box office profit etc, so naturally with no box office and no theatrical release, that's those deals screwed.

Another thing they were saying on Nerdist was that, likely, the withdrawal of The Interview is part of a bigger decision - if people are scared to go to the cinemas then every film will suffer. So, in terms of business, better to sacrifice one than shaft them all ... and thinking about it further, different studios who have nothing to do with The Interview would suffer, so there'd be a right old foul stink between different studios, and who knows if that would cause even more grief further down the line with legal proceedings connected to this film, or indeed any other legal conflicts simmering about under the surface.

Any other projects with North Korea in them have been shit-canned as well, Steve Carrell had a film set in NK about to start soon and it's gone, as have other projects that were being set up.

It is disturbing, the precendent it sets...

Ireland
    Nobody has shown a scintilla of proof yet though.

Personally, I would have my doubts, especially when NK is constantly criticised for being a relatively backward country, especially regarding technology. They haven't even moved to 16:9 national TV broadcast yet, FFS.

At the moment, all there is is an accusation, by SONY...a company that wants to jail people for downloading films.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sort of related to the Sony hack.....has anyone else read the synopsis for the next 007 film, Spectre? The ending seems to be a big face palming moment. Hopefully something good will come of this hack and Sam Mendes will go back to the drawing board for the third act. It's Austin Powers level of bad....

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    At the moment, all there is is an accusation, by SONY
    You didn't even make it through the first word in the thread title, did you?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Ireland
    SONY or Flowers By Irene...who cares.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Honorable comrades would never do something like this.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "The Interview" has now been added to Instant Netflix. Being the cause of this Sony/North Korea controversy, I expected it to be an over-hyped piece of junk because of it's "banned" status, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's absolutely nothing special or even something that will be remembered in 10 years, but it's a perfectly serviceable comedy that kept me laughing throughout.

6/10
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Jan-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "The Interview" has now been added to Instant Netflix. Being the cause of this Sony/North Korea controversy, I expected it to be an over-hyped piece of junk because of it's "banned" status, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's absolutely nothing special or even something that will be remembered in 10 years, but it's a perfectly serviceable comedy that kept me laughing throughout.

6/10
    Saw that & added to the queue. I kinda wanted to see it, just because the premise was so absurd, even BEFORE all the kefluffle.