Thread: Noticed an issue with The Matrix last night

Administrator

England

Noticed an issue with The Matrix last night

So watched this classic film last night but noticed an obvious issue.

Towards the end of the film, the agents are taking over people left right and center near our heros to get near them.

At the beginning of the film however, we see the agents arriving in a car to where the police have Trinity cornered. Why didn't they just take over 3 of the police officers at the scene to get there instantly?

My view is this would have reduce the amount of time we could see Carrie-Anne Moss' super shiney latex enveloped bum, so they didn't do it.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they take over a new body when their old one is destroyed (i.e. killed by Neo for instance).

Oh man, i feel like rewatching that now...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they take over a new body when their old one is destroyed (i.e. killed by Neo for instance).

Oh man, i feel like rewatching that now...
    Fair point... So the agents shoot themselves...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Fair point... So the agents shoot themselves...
    I'm pretty sure suicide is not part of their programming.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm pretty sure suicide is not part of their programming.
    ...they shoot each other?
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Think of the logic of them even needing to emerge through human bodies in a virtual environment.

Administrator

England
    I always half wished part of the way in to the second film, while in the "real world" something odd happened like a deja vu event... and they started suspecting that they hadn't really escaped the Matrix, but had simply escaped out of one version of it, into another one

ie: A Matrix in a Matrix
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    ie: A Matrix in a Matrix
    Matriception!
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Matriception!
    With lots of BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR sounds too!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    So watched this classic film last night but noticed an obvious issue.

Towards the end of the film, the agents are taking over people left right and center near our heros to get near them.

At the beginning of the film however, we see the agents arriving in a car to where the police have Trinity cornered. Why didn't they just take over 3 of the police officers at the scene to get there instantly?

My view is this would have reduce the amount of time we could see Carrie-Anne Moss' super shiney latex enveloped bum, so they didn't do it.
    First off, trying to apply sense to the Matrix is a fool's endeavor.

Second... yeah I'll do it anyway.

I think the Matrix actually makes sense in this regard. The Matrix is a big learning computer program. At the time it was written there was no concept of someone like Trinity. And at the time Trinity was cornered the prevailing outcome of an agent pursuing a Zionite was that the Zionite is caught. The agent's program never needed that capability until the Zionites started escaping. At that point the program responded like it would to any new problem. New algorithms were written. The agents began to exhibit the new ability. The same thing happened when Neo got so out of hand fighting agents. The program realized it needed more agents and thus the ability for Agent Smith to replicate himself emerged. It was all just calculated responses to threats.
    Last edited by Trin; 27-Jan-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Neos
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The same thing happened when Neo got so out of hand fighting agents. The program realized it needed more agents and thus the ability for Agent Smith to replicate himself emerged. It was all just calculated responses to threats.
    Didn't Smith's ability to convert others into Smith's emerge after he was freed from the control of the Matrix & went rogue, becoming a "virus"?