Thread: Thunderbirds (TV series) getting CGI rejig...

Super Moderator

UK

Thunderbirds (TV series) getting CGI rejig...

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/itv-unveils-...110927386.html

Thunderbirds Are Go' is set to air in the spring over 26 episodes on CITV, with the Tracy brothers rendered using CGI, while live action models are also incorporated into the action.

Among those in the voice cast are Rosamund Pike, recently seen in David Fincher's 'Gone Girl', who plays Lady Penelope.

Kayvan Novak, star of the comedy show Fonejacker, will play Brains, while Thomas Brodie-Sangster - Jojen Reed in 'Game of Thrones' - takes on John Tracy.

Rasmus Hardiker, from 'Saxondale', plays both Alan and Scott Tracy, with David Menkin playing Gordon and Virgil Tracy.

Meanwhile, David Graham, who voiced the Parker in the original series, will be reprising his role as the elderly chauffeur.

It's set to debut on ITV exactly 50 years after the original series was first broadcast in 1965.

The revived series, created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson – also the masterminds behind series including 'Captain Scarlett' and 'Stingray' – has been made by both ITV and New Zealand's Weta Workshop, owned by director Peter Jackson and responsible for films like 'Avatar' the 'Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' trilogies.
    Obviously I'm not the target audience for this in the slightest, but I was obsessed with the proper Thunderbirds when it swung by for repeats in the 1990s (likewise with Stingray and Captain Scarlet) ... I saw a few snippets of that shite film version from several years ago and that was abominable. It'd be nice if this stood up to what the show is supposed to be, but I can't help but feel it's going to be filled with lots of naffness.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have no idea of what this is.

As with almost everything these days, it looks stupid.

(Obviously, I'm not the target audience either, tho...)

It's a bit out-of-time with an all male cast of soldiers tho.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 16-Jan-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: ead

Administrator

England
    Why do they all look like 18yr old kids with over developed eyebrow glands? Would you trust cutting edge machines to this lot?

Clearly I'm not the show's target audience either
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It's a bit out-of-time with an all male cast of soldiers tho.
    They're not soldiers. John Tracey, their father, worked in aerospace type stuff IIRC, and had five boys ... he then went off and set up "International Rescue", and their aim was simply to answer distress calls around the globe (and even in space) and help people. His sons piloted and operated the machines they'd use for rescuing people.

I do like the idea of Rosamund Pike voicing Lady Penelope though.

Here's the intro to the original 1965 series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIAKj3Gl1E

Some of the scenarios were things like an experimental airplane on its maiden flight losing its landing wheels and running out of fuel, so the Tracey boys are sent out with three trucks with big flat tops for the plane to land on, or a 'Towering Inferno' style situation with a family trapped in an underground parking area beneath the burning rubble of a giant skyscraper. Each episode was like a blockbuster movie - one week you'd see a giant building explode, the next a runaway monorail teetering from the brink of a collapsed bridge, and the next it'd be like an espionage thriller with Lady Penelope in a James Bond-like scenario.

It was an awesome show, one of my favourites.

It seems they tried to get a re-do off the ground ten years ago, as this promo shows:

A combination of CGI and puppets in a reboot that never ended up happening ... I wonder if they saw Team America and thought "now's the time!" ... ?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jan-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Ireland
    Old puppet TV show gets CGI makeover.

Way to spectacularly miss the point.

[FFS]FFS[/FFS)

Used to love 'Thunderbirds' and 'Stingray' when I was a kid. On a Saturday morning, I was obsessed with what cool looking vehicle they were going to show on 'Thunderbirds'. Then it was off to the Lego pile to try and copy it.

Happy days.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Why is a Rolls Royce car f***ing flying????
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why is a Rolls Royce car f***ing flying????
    I know, right?

Ireland
    This is what happens when feckin ejits make films.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Found it very lack lustre... I gave up with it really...

I'll watch one more...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Funnily enough I watched the first episode last night just out of interest and was about to come here and post about it.

Obviously, for me, my Thunderbirds is and always will be the original show ... however, for the most part, I think they've done alright with the adaptation generally speaking ... I think if I was a kid nowadays I'd definitely be watching it, or if I had a kid who was watching it I'd probably watch it with them.

I just watched the first one to see what it was like out of interest, and obviously I won't continue to watch, and while I'm personally not keen on the CGI they've used (although it's interesting that they have mixed in model work throughout), it seemed alright to me objectively speaking. Subjectively speaking though, there is only the original for me.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Funnily enough I watched the first episode last night just out of interest and was about to come here and post about it.

Obviously, for me, my Thunderbirds is and always will be the original show ... however, for the most part, I think they've done alright with the adaptation generally speaking ... I think if I was a kid nowadays I'd definitely be watching it, or if I had a kid who was watching it I'd probably watch it with them.

I just watched the first one to see what it was like out of interest, and obviously I won't continue to watch, and while I'm personally not keen on the CGI they've used (although it's interesting that they have mixed in model work throughout), it seemed alright to me objectively speaking. Subjectively speaking though, there is only the original for me.
    It just felt "all too safe" to me. ie: They always have just he right gizmo/gazmo to hand... I'll watch the next one in the hope it just gets a bit more edge too it.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It just felt "all too safe" to me. ie: They always have just he right gizmo/gazmo to hand... I'll watch the next one in the hope it just gets a bit more edge too it.
    Hmmm ... although there is some mystery surrounding Jeff Tracey and The Hood (the latter killed the former?), so there might be something a bit darker there, but it is a kid's show as well ... ... however, yeah, I do wonder if there'll ever be something like - in the original version - when Thunderbird 2 got all messed up and was limping back to Tracey Island (with Virgil wounded) and it crashed on the landing runway. I remember seeing that as a kid and finding it quite stunning - rather dramatic - so yeah, I do wonder if there'll ever be moments like that in the new one, not that I'll be watching it generally.

Over the piece though it seemed okay to me - a million miles better than that bullshit movie they did in 2004 ... good God WTF was that?!

Administrator

England
    Tied watching another episode.

The pilot in his spaceship, got out of it to look at something. So did he put in a special EVA suit, or went out in a little space ship buggy? No he got on a f***ing stupid surfboard with rockets on. Every law of physics is broken as this think launches off with him happily standing upright on it... I groaned, realised this is proof the following comment came before any logical/reasoned plot progression, "Wow! That will look really cool," and turned off.
    -Carl Sagan