Thread: Ingress - Augmented Reality

United States

Ingress - Augmented Reality

I searched the word 'ingress in the hpotd search box, and none came up. I was hoping to find someone here who was into it. I started about two weeks ago, and i have to admit that I think it's pretty cool!

If you have never heard of it, below is a brief description and a link to their wikipedia page. If you decide you want to join, it would help me out "in-game" wise if you let me send you an invite rather then just joining on your own. Let me know!

Ingress is an augmented reality massively multiplayer online role playing GPS-dependent game[4] created by Niantic Labs, a startup within Google, originally for Android devices,[5] and since July 14, 2014 for Apple's iOS.[3] The game has a complex science fiction back story with a continuous open narrative.[6][7]

The gameplay consists of establishing "portals" at places of public art, landmarks, monuments, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of "mind units" (MUs), i.e. people, nominally controlled by each faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map).[8][9] The necessary links between portals may range from meters to kilometers, to hundreds of kilometers in operations of considerable logistical complexity.[10] International links and fields are not uncommon, as Ingress has attracted an enthusiastic following in cities worldwide[11] amongst both young and old,[12] to the extent that the gameplay is itself a lifestyle for some, including tattoos.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_%28game%29

EDIT: After reading that, I was not sure it made clear that playing the game involves going out and about in real life, not just playing at home. I usually do not get much exercise, but I have walked 24 km in the last 2 weeks just while playing the game.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 31-Jan-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Original post may not have been clear

United States
    Sorry dude. No smart devices & I don't leave the house anymore except to go to work or pick up the kids, so I ain't the droid yer lookin' for.