Thread: Leonard Nimoy (Spock) RIP

United States

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) RIP

Live long and prosper

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/ar...t-83.html?_r=0

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've recently been going through Star Trek TOS for the first time. I've become more of a Trek fan and Nimoy is a large part of that. He really created a legendary science fiction character that will stand the test of time.

Administrator

England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024

Last year, the actor revealed he was suffering from chronic lung disease, despite stopping smoking more than 20 years ago.

It was reported earlier this week he had been taken to hospital on 19 February after suffering from chest pains.

He later tweeted: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

He signed off with "LLAP" - a reference to his character's famous catchphrase, "Live long and prosper". It was to be his final tweet.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    TOS was a huge part of my childhood (& Trek in general my whole life), & Spock was my favorite character growing up. RIP.

Super Moderator

Germany
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8nY_LQL3w

Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most.... human.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Rest in peace. Live long and prosper.

I'll be watching Wrath of Khan tonight.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    How a friend of mine responded when I broke the news to him:

"Well, it's happened before. All we need to do is shoot his coffin to a Genesis device-activated planet, and we should have him back within a year."
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    How a friend of mine responded when I broke the news to him:

"Well, it's happened before. All we need to do is shoot his coffin to a Genesis device-activated planet, and we should have him back within a year."
    Wouldn't it be nice if death was merely an inconvenience, like it is in so many movies, comics, & TV shows, & not The End.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if death was merely an inconvenience, like it is in so many movies, comics, & TV shows, & not The End.
    Well, we don't know that it is...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Well, we don't know that it is...
    Well, true, but since I've outgrown fairy tales, & have no evidence to the contrary, as things stand this does seem to be the case.