Thread: In The Flesh (BBC TV series) cancelled

Administrator

England

In The Flesh (BBC TV series) cancelled

Seems we won't be getting the third series - http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/in-the-f...ree-is-missing

The worst part of the cancellation news for fans is that In The Flesh’s story wasn’t even close to ending after the series two finale. Audiences were left with a cliff-hanger that would rewrite all the rules of its universe, leading to an eventual, satisfying end-point that, ideally, wouldn’t arrive for at least a couple of years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uAJklDka_U
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    god damnit BBC

UK
    Can't say that I'm surprised really.

The last series got so engrossed in 'point making' and 'making a statement' that it
    kind of lost the focus of where it was coming from. The genre and the shoulders that
    it was standing on.

That said, I'm still sad to see it go, I would rather a program that made you think
    than one that just does cheap thrills.

As for how this has been cancelled and BBC Three are now showing that awful
    'reality' shambles ... don't get me started, could rant for hours ... is this a reflection
    of the dumbing down of society?? Even the BBC would rather broadcast trash viewing??

Please someone, say it isn't so.

Ireland
    Cheaper to produce "reality" TV than it is to fashion old style visual fiction.

It's only going to get worse.

In saying that, I'm not surprised in the least that this series is gone. It had a very limited appeal. But, I'm getting truly sick of series getting cut off mid way through its life. It's such a feature of modern TV that I rarely, if ever, invest any of my time in a new show. I just don't see the point. In fairness, a lot are shit, but it's so annoying to get into a show and then see the rug pulled.

It's why I'm a big believer in NOT having your series end on a cliff hanger as the audience doesn't know whether the damn show will return.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I loved this show so much. It was one of the few BBC dramas that actually kept me coming back for more, and there hasn't been anything like that in a LONG time. Yes, Netflix, Amazon or someone else could pick it up and carry on, but the problem is that if the BBC has they're way, the commercial arm will keep a tight grip on it in much the same way that they did with Doctor Who in the 90's (They didn't want it but they didn't want anyone else to have it).

I could be wrong.... perhaps the market is saturated with zombie products. But once in a while, something will come along and breath new life into the genre. In the flesh was one of those shows.

Administrator

England
    I've still not watched the seconds series - Sitting there on my box waiting for me!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    The last series got so engrossed in 'point making' and 'making a statement' that it
    kind of lost the focus of where it was coming from. The genre and the shoulders that
    it was standing on.
    Can you tell what point that was to us who have not seen it?

Tibet
    That's a damned shame. While I agree that the whole gay analogy thing got a bit heavy handed, I did enjoy the show. Much like the Romero movies, I'm usually able to ignore the political and just enjoy it for what it is (or was).

I agree wholeheartedly about NOT ending seasons on cliff-hangers. I've been bit in the arse a few times that way, with shows I really liked.

Norway
    Did they actually compare an abnormal infectious condition that turns you into a monstrous thing that can not control its bestial hunger for human flesh to being gay?

Ireland
    There was definitely a thinly veiled gay allegory throughout the show.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There was definitely a thinly veiled gay allegory throughout the show.
    OK! This thread is starting to go just a bit too...

-Carl Sagan

Norway
    Well atleast when the Xmen 3 movie did it they used handsome people with angel wings..