Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impractical Jokers (TV series) - Any fans here?

Administrator

England

Impractical Jokers (TV series) - Any fans here?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Hell yeah!

I knew of Q through the Tell 'em Steve-Dave podcast, which I've been listening to since the beginning, and thankfully the show finally came to British telly a few months back (the BBC 3 British version was shite and completely missed the point of the central cast). I don't usually enjoy these kind of shows, but this one I got into - initally because of the TESD/Q connection, but then I really enjoyed the interplay between the four guys (friends since high school).

The latest season hasn't been aired in the UK yet (it's still airing in America). "Practically Live" (IIRC) is a sort of documentary they shot for their live tour - I saw that on YouTube if you're interested - and it's groovy to get a behind the scenes look at those guys together between shows.

UK
    Me , love it!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Love it, but Joker's Wild was a suck spinoff.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think it's a case of was a UK version. I remember a couple of years ago they were trying different line ups - but it was just crap beyond belief - the main reason being that they completely ignored what makes the original version so good - the four guys themselves (who have been friends since high school and, to the general public, total unknowns ... not so much now with the success of the show, but certainly in the first couple of seasons, and still to an extent).

Anyway, the UK pilot versions just cobbled together comedians who either didn't know each other or only knew each other from the circuit - and, most importantly, had already been on television! Recognisable faces who'd already been on BBC and Channel 4 comedy shows (panel and sitcom). Marek Larwood and Roisin Conaty, for instance, might be relatively niche - but they're far from unknown!

The groups they cobbled together (including, IIRC, one of the guys now doing voices for Thunderbirds Are Go - and who was in Cockneys VS Zombies) just didn't have any real chemistry - they felt like manufactured groups (which they were) - and I've heard nothing since of the UK version, which is fine by me as the original is where it's at.

I saw an episode of Joker's Wild, and I agree, it didn't work - the presentational style (as if wacky sketches were true life tales) felt awkward ... it would have been better if they'd just gone full sketch show with it and not done that strange mix where the introductions to sketches seemed to claim that the events that followed were real (even though, clearly, they were all scripted sketches). Despite understanding that difference, framing them that way just made no sense to me and was just an obstacle - like I say, I think an outright sketch show would have been a better way of framing it.

Administrator

England
    This was in the episode I watched this morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cH4a5Uix8
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Who's your favourite?

Mine would be Q, but then I was already a fan of his through the Tell Em Steve-Dave podcast, so aside from Q it'd have to be Sal ... loved the ninja bit.

United States
    Scoopski potatoes!!!
    I'm a big Joe fan. He makes that show awesome.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Larryyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Scoopski potatoes!!!
    I'm a big Joe fan. He makes that show awesome.
    That episode was repeated last night and I happened upon that moment channel hopping - a brilliant bit of silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Larryyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

That worked really well in the queue jumping challenge ... well, right up until the end.

Also, from Q - "Hey mustache" / "Don't call me mustache!"

United States
    I'm not a big Q fan. I'd totally be down with them dumping him, and letting me take his spot...
    I ain't jumping out of any planes, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    NO. Shocking I know but this show is not for me. I find $hit like that that beyond juvenile and way over the border in puerile land. Cannot stand practical jokes and think that people acting the fool in public are degenerate trash.

Did I mention that I cannot take a joke and have a serious problem with people who either act the fool in public in order to "shock" people or pull pranks on people in some childish effort, if one is a 5 year old, to be funny.
    Last edited by Mike70; 27-Apr-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: doubled up
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    NO. Shocking I know but this show is not for me. I find $hit like that that beyond juvenile and way over the border in puerile land. Cannot stand practical jokes and think that people acting the fool in public are degenerate trash.

Did I mention that I cannot take a joke and have a serious problem with people who either act the fool in public in order to "shock" people or pull pranks on people in some childish effort, if one is a 5 year old, to be funny.
    Seriously? Oh well... Shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Gs_T8ZepI
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    100th episode - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...re-live-815033

The only thing is now surely they're so well know they can't do the very thing they've become famous for? ie: They'll be recognised instantly and people will know they're on TV etc?
    -Carl Sagan