Thread: Kudos to Robert Downey Jr

Administrator

England

Kudos to Robert Downey Jr

Even when Krishnan Guru-Murthy (renounded for his annoying interviewing techniques at times - Poor Tarantino) annoys Mr Downey, he still walks out of an interview in an amicable way

Jump to 5:40... His PR agent calls it a day... but Downey still gives a light hearted comment when he walks off (no need to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBwaO-rAsE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Kind of sums up why I'm so sick of 24 hours news - every bloody interviewer or presenter thinks they're going to be Woodward or Bernstein and uncover something really important and generation-shattering ... but they're not, and they won't, so what you've got instead is just an ego stroking itself furiously on telly trying to make something out of nothing.

Kudos to RDJ for staying composed, even though you could see how pissed off he was by the tension in his face (I wouldn't blame him for a bit of effin' & jeffin' once he was out of the room). His past shouldn't be off limits, but it's also his past, not ours, so an appropriate amount of respect is required - not to mention questions appropriate to the type of interview. No matter how he reacted to those questions - even if he's just stayed quiet and run out the clock - Channel 4 News would still play it and make out like it's some big wow.

RDJ's past has been covered plenty as it is - why is it necessary to dig back over it, I mean really, what is the point beyond trying to get a bit of "look at me" telly for the broadcaster/presenter? It's connected to something wider that's been a major problem with 24 hour news for decades now - the bully boy presenting style - yes, at times you have to really confront someone, but there's a skill required of such an approach as well, and that skill has been abandoned in favour of "look how many times I stupidly kept asking this person a question that was either A) blatantly unanswerable, or B) never going to be answered" ... it's a waste of time - you could use that time to actually ask some other questions.

For example - Jeremy Paxman - occasionally he does a good job, but so much of the time it seems to be more about him than the interviewee. When he's properly confronting someone then it's much more likely to be worthwhile and fruitful, but more often than not it's lazy "look at me" egoism. Murthy has been, like pretty much every sodding interviewer on the planet, been following that same path. Nevermind the facts - or even letting your interviewee speak - it's all about the me, me, me, rather than whoever is actually being sodding interviewed!!!

Much better.

Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Apr-2015 at 05:48 PM.