Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Johnson from Zombie died

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    That's really sad. A lot of great actors are gone now...

Anyways I always wondered what was up with his wife. The scene where she was taking medication seemed to imply that maybe she really did have a mental illness (possibly bipolar disorder which is what I suffer from) and she was accusing her husband of being sneaky and evil but nothing about him in later scenes seemed to reinforce her accusations he seemed to me like a doctor who was just doing his job trying to cure the infected islanders. Also I think he underestimated how bad the outbreak on the island really was I don't think he intended to let his wife get killed.

Btw whatever happened to the gardner that was supposed to look after her? I guess he got killed by a zombie off screen.
    She probably was just taking tranquilizers, I mean with the island being overrun by zombies and her being stuck right in the middle of it and all. Perfectly normal response.

Regarding Dr. Menard's "innocence": his wife's accusations might have more solid ground than you think. Notice that Dr. Menard does not seem to be 100% honest regarding how Anne's father died. The version he tells her is rather different than the one we see in the opening sequence. In the version he tells her, he is all heart-broken and shocked at what happened to her father, but in the opening sequence the cold and somber way in which he dispatches Anne's father suggests a more sinister side to that event. Also notice that in the letter that Anne's father wrote to her he explains that he is basically being used as a guinea pig! This again emphasizes a rather different version of the events, a more sinister and cold-hearted side of Dr. Menard, which he obviously will not openly display in front of others. But his wife knows him better than anyone.

Dr. Menard obviously did not intend her to get killed, but he sure did a lousy job in securing the area she was staying at. The least he could have done is give the revolver or the shotgun to either his wife or the gardener, just in case any zombies actually did show up on the property they would have a good weapon to eliminate them.

Maybe the gardener survived and just joined the rest of the fleeing surviving islanders. We know that there are more survivors on the island than the hospital staff because Lucas was giving Dr. Menard reports on what they were doing regarding the zombie crisis.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    She probably was just taking tranquilizers, I mean with the island being overrun by zombies and her being stuck right in the middle of it and all. Perfectly normal response.

Regarding Dr. Menard's "innocence": his wife's accusations might have more solid ground than you think. Notice that Dr. Menard does not seem to be 100% honest regarding how Anne's father died. The version he tells her is rather different than the one we see in the opening sequence. In the version he tells her, he is all heart-broken and shocked at what happened to her father, but in the opening sequence the cold and somber way in which he dispatches Anne's father suggests a more sinister side to that event. Also notice that in the letter that Anne's father wrote to her he explains that he is basically being used as a guinea pig! This again emphasizes a rather different version of the events, a more sinister and cold-hearted side of Dr. Menard, which he obviously will not openly display in front of others. But his wife knows him better than anyone.

Dr. Menard obviously did not intend her to get killed, but he sure did a lousy job in securing the area she was staying at. The least he could have done is give the revolver or the shotgun to either his wife or the gardener, just in case any zombies actually did show up on the property they would have a good weapon to eliminate them.

Maybe the gardener survived and just joined the rest of the fleeing surviving islanders. We know that there are more survivors on the island than the hospital staff because Lucas was giving Dr. Menard reports on what they were doing regarding the zombie crisis.
    That is true about the flashback scene and the opening scene they did seem contradicting. Plus the letter from Anne's father seemed to imply that he was being treated more like a prisoner than a friend. However I still like to think that maybe Menard's wife did have a mental illness or at least he was passing her off as having one because the line "You'd like to pass me off as crazy!" seemed to imply this and for all we know that could be why she was taking pills. Of course regardless if she was or wasn't unbalanced that doesn't mean that she couldn't have been right about her husband.

Also as for the gardener considering that there were zombies right outside the house when Mrs. Menard was taking her shower before her grizzly death I think it's safe to assume that they killed him too.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 19-Apr-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added more to post

Rising

United States
    That is true about the flashback scene and the opening scene they did seem contradicting. Plus the letter from Anne's father seemed to imply that he was being treated more like a prisoner than a friend. However I still like to think that maybe Menard's wife did have a mental illness or at least he was passing her off as having one because the line "You'd like to pass me off as crazy!" seemed to imply this and for all we know that could be why she was taking pills. Of course regardless if she was or wasn't unbalanced that doesn't mean that she couldn't have been right about her husband.

Also as for the gardener considering that there were zombies right outside the house when Mrs. Menard was taking her shower before her grizzly death I think it's safe to assume that they killed him too.
    I think that Mrs. Menard just has a drinking problem, and to be fair, she has good reasons to drink. Her husband is doing weird experiments on people who are said to die and come back as these ghouls that attack and eat people, and she is stuck in the middle of this place without being able to get on a boat and leave or call anyone for help.

We don't know how many zombies were at the house when the gardener and his dog heard the breathing and noises. It might have only been one zombie at that point. We only see one zombie "peeping" at Mrs Menard through the window. He might have made it out alive. Plus if he had been caught by any zombies around the house he probably would have screamed in terror and pain (from the bites, as we see with other characters who get bitten by zombies), but we hear no such thing.
    Last edited by JDP; 20-Apr-2017 at 05:16 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    I think that Mrs. Menard just has a drinking problem, and to be fair, she has good reasons to drink. Her husband is doing weird experiments on people who are said to die and come back as these ghouls that attack and eat people, and she is stuck in the middle of this place without being able to get on a boat and leave or call anyone for help.

We don't know how many zombies were at the house when the gardener and his dog heard the breathing and noises. It might have only been one zombie at that point. We only see one zombie "peeping" at Mrs Menard through the window. He might have made it out alive. Plus if he had been caught by any zombies around the house he probably would have screamed in terror and pain (from the bites, as we see with other characters who get bitten by zombies), but we hear no such thing.
    Well you can be mentally ill and have a drinking problem too. Just sayin.

As for the gardner somehow I don't get the feeling that he would have just walked away and left Mrs. Menard in danger. Plus the whole island was swarming with zombies so I'm pretty positive he ended up getting killed by the ones that were later seen eating Mrs. Menard. As for why we didn't hear him screaming... It is just a movie and maybe nobody saw the need to dub a scream just to let the audiance know what happened to him.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Rising

United States
    Well you can be mentally ill and have a drinking problem too. Just sayin.

As for the gardner somehow I don't get the feeling that he would have just walked away and left Mrs. Menard in danger. Plus the whole island was swarming with zombies so I'm pretty positive he ended up getting killed by the ones that were later seen eating Mrs. Menard. As for why we didn't hear him screaming... It is just a movie and maybe nobody saw the need to dub a scream just to let the audiance know what happened to him.
    Not likely that someone with a mental problem would be allowed to drink, specially with a doctor for a husband.

The side of the island where the house was had not seen any zombies yet. When the visitors are trying to make their way back to the hospital on foot it takes a while before they encounter any zombies, and even then they are just rising from their graves, they have not been wandering around the island yet. So the gardener escaped at a time when there would actually have been even less zombies around the area.

The gardener was obviously thinking of self-preservation first and foremost, and he did obviously bail out and abandon the house and its inhabitant that he was supposed to be guarding, just like that. And can you really blame him? Dr. Menard did not give him any weapon to get rid of any zombies that might waltz through the property. How did he expect the gardener to deal with any zombies then? "Yeah, if you see any of those creeps approaching the house just yell to them: hey, get out of here, this is private property!" WTF??? The proper thing to do would have been: "Here, take this loaded shotgun/revolver. If you see any of those creeps approach the house, shoot them in the head."

It's more than just a matter of us hearing it. The character who is the center of this sequence, Mrs. Menard, would also have heard the screams, yet she did not. She heard the noise made by the zombie who was breaking into the house (we do not see where he entered the house, but she hears it), so needless to say she would have also heard the gardener's screams as well if he had been caught by zombies near the house. The zombie "visitor" caught her by surprise, which would hardly have been the case had she heard the gardener scream.
    Last edited by JDP; 20-Apr-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: ;

United States
    Not likely that someone with a mental problem would be allowed to drink, specially with a doctor for a husband.

The side of the island where the house was had not seen any zombies yet. When the visitors are trying to make their way back to the hospital on foot it takes a while before they encounter any zombies, and even then they are just rising from their graves, they have not been wandering around the island yet. So the gardener escaped at a time when there would actually have been even less zombies around the area.

The gardener was obviously thinking of self-preservation first and foremost, and he did obviously bail out and abandon the house and its inhabitant that he was supposed to be guarding, just like that. And can you really blame him? Dr. Menard did not give him any weapon to get rid of any zombies that might waltz through the property. How did he expect the gardener to deal with any zombies then? "Yeah, if you see any of those creeps approaching the house just yell to them: hey, get out of here, this is private property!" WTF??? The proper thing to do would have been: "Here, take this loaded shotgun/revolver. If you see any of those creeps approach the house, shoot them in the head."

It's more than just a matter of us hearing it. The character who is the center of this sequence, Mrs. Menard, would also have heard the screams, yet she did not. She heard the noise made by the zombie who was breaking into the house (we do not see where he entered the house, but she hears it), so needless to say she would have also heard the gardener's screams as well if he had been caught by zombies near the house. The zombie "visitor" caught her by surprise, which would hardly have been the case had she heard the gardener scream.
    I'm sorry but I think you overanalyze these movies to death.

We're talking about an Italian explotation movie from the 1970's that was full of plot holes AND moments that made no sense. Like the part when Lucas turned into a zombie instantly after being bitten but it took Bryan several hours to turn. Or the two patient zombies that died being shot in the chest when every other zombie had to be shot in the head.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 20-Apr-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: because i can

Rising

United States
    I'm sorry but I think you overanalyze these movies to death.

We're talking about an Italian explotation movie from the 1970's that was full of plot holes AND moments that made no sense. Like the part when Lucas turned into a zombie instantly after being bitten but it took Bryan several hours to turn. Or the two patient zombies that died being shot in the chest when every other zombie had to be shot in the head.
    I know, but that's what makes them nitpickable.

United States
    Well whatever I still say the gardner most likely got killed by the zombies and that Dr. Menard was just a doctor trying to cure the zombie epidemic. Also he was trying to pass his wife off as mentally ill and she said so herself. That is how I interpret this movie.

Rising

United States
    Well whatever I still say the gardner most likely got killed by the zombies and that Dr. Menard was just a doctor trying to cure the zombie epidemic. Also he was trying to pass his wife off as mentally ill and she said so herself. That is how I interpret this movie.
    The gardener & his dog: likely survived. Not many zombies around that area of the island when he decided to take off.

Dr. Menard: trying to cure the zombie epidemic, yes, but the type of guy who will stop at nothing to accomplish a given goal, even using his very own friends as guinea pigs! This more sinister side of the doctor is what his wife was very likely referring to when she accuses him of being "demented, cruel, evil..."

Mrs. Menard: she was talking about when (or if) they went back to civilization, she was going to spill the beans about what the good doctor had been doing on that island. She is anticipating that he will try to pass her off as crazy so that people would not believe what she was going to tell about his activities.

United States
    The gardener & his dog: likely survived. Not many zombies around that area of the island when he decided to take off.

Dr. Menard: trying to cure the zombie epidemic, yes, but the type of guy who will stop at nothing to accomplish a given goal, even using his very own friends as guinea pigs! This more sinister side of the doctor is what his wife was very likely referring to when she accuses him of being "demented, cruel, evil..."

Mrs. Menard: she was talking about when (or if) they went back to civilization, she was going to spill the beans about what the good doctor had been doing on that island. She is anticipating that he will try to pass her off as crazy so that people would not believe what she was going to tell about his activities.
    Lol fine I really have nothing more to say.

United States
    Except this... Was his wife having an affair with the gardener while Dr. Menard had an affair with his nurse? I know there's no proof of it in the movie but I wonder since they were such an unhappy married couple.