Thread: Uncle Buck (TV series)

Administrator

England

Uncle Buck (TV series)

So seems not only was I completely unware of a 1990's TV series of my beloved film, but there's another series of it due own soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnbNZsi-UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V90IzwGf6Pc
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Wow, not sure which one looks worse.
    I didn't even know the 1990 one existed, either.
    But then again, that's the year I graduated, so...

Ireland
    How can they have Uncle Buck without John Candy?

When will these assholes ever learn?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    So, both versions have the same cheesy themetune?

Never knew of the 90s TV version, but at least they tried to stay true to some of the core vibe - a heavy-set, cigar smoking schlub in a similar car (the new-new one doesn't even look that bad!). Of course, these days you wouldn't be allowed someone smoking cigars constantly on Prime Time Television.

John Candy is untouchable! The movie is a stone-cold classic for all the family - it was one of many John Candy films that were in heavy rotation in my household when I was growing up.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    John Candy is untouchable! The movie is a stone-cold classic for all the family - it was one of many John Candy films that were in heavy rotation in my household when I was growing up.
    I love the film too! It jumps nicely from outright hilarity to quite sombre and moving very nicely...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As others have said, without John Candy, this idea just seems like a waste of time. Sure, it could probably be entertaining enough with someone else in the role, but at least call it something else. Uncle Buck, it is not.

Next we'll have Planes, Trains, and Automobiles starring Tyler Perry in both roles.

United States
    I saw a movie semi recently with the younger daughter, where she shows bush and all. Kinda gross, though...
    Extremely hairy gal.
    The older daughter was on Yes, Dear. I watched it awhile before I realized it was her. Sassy little thang...
    Yeah, Kevin Meaney had too big of shoes to fill, and he looked really young. I'd like to catch one to see how bad it was.

Super Moderator

UK
    Also, the 'new' Uncle Buck looks too normal - he doesn't look like a schlub at all ... he looks like most of the stars of top-grossing R-Rated comedies ... he looks current.

The real Uncle Buck was in a style of his own, out of time and out of step with the present day; a proper slob - but loveable all the same - that awful coat and jacket, the cigars, the phlegm, the dreadful car banging and belching its way down the road, and so forth.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As others have said, without John Candy, this idea just seems like a waste of time. Sure, it could probably be entertaining enough with someone else in the role, but at least call it something else. Uncle Buck, it is not.

Next we'll have Planes, Trains, and Automobiles starring Tyler Perry in both roles.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    I watched most of the tv series many years ago. Its ok, but not the worse, but he's no John Candy. He's too nice. Candy had those blue-collared slob persona that fit him. The series brought back the character, Pal, who is a regular the series. He's the guy, who Buck chased off at the bowling alley for hitting on his niece in the movie.