Thread: Terminator 2 (film) - Director's Cut

Administrator

England

Terminator 2 (film) - Director's Cut

Finally watched this version of the flick...

Have to say most of the added footage put back in for the Director's Cut wasn't for an improvement IMHO. I'd have to say for the most part, the cinema cut was a better version of the film.

I took my son through Terminator 1 and 2... He loved them and think he appreciated how clever they were as well as how good the action/effects were etc.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    My son is in a Alien vs Predator phase right now. I forget what started it but he bugged me to death about their details so I let him watch Alien vs Predator. This only caused his brain to come up with more questions, so I ended up letting him watch select(most of them) scenes from Predator 1 & 2.

I forgot that both Predators ended up screwing themselves by toying with their prey. It was worth reviewing. Kids are great

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I'd agree that the DC of T2 isn't an improvement ... but perhaps that's also partly down to my personal perception of the film. The first time I saw it - and saw it repeatedly - was in the Theatrical Cut - so that's the version of the movie to me. Conversely, I saw the DC of Aliens first so that is the version of the film to me - same with the Extended Cannes Cut of Dawn of the Dead - that is the version of the film to me.

The additions in T2 don't really add an awful lot, although a couple do help clarify things - particularly the added shots of the T-1000 'glitching out'. It took me a while to figure out what was happening in the original cut, but the DC cleared it up and I finally twigged for sure.

Glad the boy dug T1 and T2 and appreciated their intelligence. If he watches T3 and T4, please point out the idiocy of the 'super Terminators' bollocks being totally inconsistent with Cameron's founding movies.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree that the DC of T2 isn't an improvement ... but perhaps that's also partly down to my personal perception of the film. The first time I saw it - and saw it repeatedly - was in the Theatrical Cut - so that's the version of the movie to me. Conversely, I saw the DC of Aliens first so that is the version of the film to me - same with the Extended Cannes Cut of Dawn of the Dead - that is the version of the film to me.

The additions in T2 don't really add an awful lot, although a couple do help clarify things - particularly the added shots of the T-1000 'glitching out'. It took me a while to figure out what was happening in the original cut, but the DC cleared it up and I finally twigged for sure.

Glad the boy dug T1 and T2 and appreciated their intelligence. If he watches T3 and T4, please point out the idiocy of the 'super Terminators' bollocks being totally inconsistent with Cameron's founding movies.
    What do you mean by the "glitching out"? I noticed he was taking on the appearance of stuff almost by accident, which seemed a bit odd TBH because later almost perfectly craft Sarah?

I've banned him from T3 & T4
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What do you mean by the "glitching out"? I noticed he was taking on the appearance of stuff almost by accident, which seemed a bit odd TBH because later almost perfectly craft Sarah?

"Glitching Out." meant that the T-1000 wasn't impervious to damage. The nitrogen freeze messed up its liquid memory; at least temporarily.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    "Glitching Out." meant that the T-1000 wasn't impervious to damage. The nitrogen freeze messed up its liquid memory; at least temporarily.
    Hmm... Didn't quite seem right to me... I noticed the problems it was having and I guess it was down to the freezing, but it seemed a bit "random" rather than an actual problem.

BTW - I thought the scene in John's bedroom was very clunky, where it was going around touching everything.

For me, one of the nicest moments with the T1000 was it going through the bars in the asylum, and forgetting to turn the gun first (to fit through the gap). Not only did this remind the audience about the rules involved, but of course also showed us it was far from perfect

Cameron puts some wonderful touches in his films/writing at times...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

1) Glitching out - the freeze buggered up his ability to morph into things and assume their shape perfectly. When he was Sarah his feet were kind of melted into the grating, likewise the ripples travelling up and down his face when he's looking around at times, or when his hand gets stuck to the bit of railing - his functions have been affected and he's no longer completely reliable. The DC definitely clarifies that more than the TC does, I think.

2) haha! Groovy!

For me, one of the nicest moments with the T1000 was it going through the bars in the asylum, and forgetting to turn the gun first (to fit through the gap). Not only did this remind the audience about the rules involved, but of course also showed us it was far from perfect

Cameron puts some wonderful touches in his films/writing at times...
    Aye! That was a nice little bit of business they included. It's also like a little bit of punctuation in the action sequence, a tiny moment that's informative, but also lets you catch your breath just a little bit so it's not just full-on and flat-out.

United States
    I read an article about Billy Idol where they talk about Billy being Cameron's first choice to play the part Robert Patrick ended up playing, but couldn't because of his horrific motorcycle accident.
    That would've made it even better, although I love it as is.
    But, dayumn.