Thread: Chicago Fire yesterday, and today...

United States

Chicago Fire yesterday, and today...

on Jeopardy there was a category called "In the original" and the $600 clue was...

With this horror movie, director George Romero started a franchise but never used the word "zombie"
    Of course, the proper response was, what is Night of the Living Dead.

Two days in a row of Romero references on mainstream TV? Not sure what that is.

United States
    That's even cooler than the reference from yesterday. When I go visit my folks at that time of day, my father and I always watch Jeopardy. Would have been cool to been tuned in to see that question pop up.

Good to see you around still, Philly. If you don't mind, the wife and I are planning to make a trip to PA to visit the filming locations of Dawn and Night. Any advice or pointers you could give? No rush, not sure if we are going this year or next, but it is a trip we plan to make soon-ish.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    on Jeopardy there was a category called "In the original" and the $600 clue was...

With this horror movie, director George Romero started a franchise but never used the word "zombie"
    The "but never used the word zombie" remark must only be in reference to the first movie, not to the franchise, because in Dawn this word was in fact used.

It is an omen, it means that "they" will become a reality anytime soon now
    Last edited by JDP; 22-Jan-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix quote

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    That's even cooler than the reference from yesterday. When I go visit my folks at that time of day, my father and I always watch Jeopardy. Would have been cool to been tuned in to see that question pop up.

Good to see you around still, Philly. If you don't mind, the wife and I are planning to make a trip to PA to visit the filming locations of Dawn and Night. Any advice or pointers you could give? No rush, not sure if we are going this year or next, but it is a trip we plan to make soon-ish.
    Well, personally I think that Pittsburgh is an awesome city, even without Dawn places to visit. I would suggest some time allocated to just exploring the uniqueness of the city outside of a Romero connection. If you visit during baseball season, stay at the Westin...visiting teams stay there. I didn't get a chance to go to Nike Manor...my girlfriend expressed "concern" about sneaking into a formal nuclear missile...if you go there I would love to see pics and/or video.

One great place to eat was the Georgetown Inn. Assuming it is still there and in operation, it is at the top of Mount Washington and has a great view of the city. We purposefully went there right before sundown and requested ( and had to wait a few minutes due to our request) for a seat right by the window. It was beautiful watching the sun set over downtown. The prices were reasonable, and casual dress was perfectly ok. If you drink beer, you might want to drink Iron City beer...you can see people drinking it in Dawn, as well as other movies.

Be sure to ride the incline...an interesting piece of history which is still around. It was kind of funny that we were riding it as 'tourists' wanting a unique fun experience, but most other riders were locals just getting to and fro. I assume you may bring Dawn and Night with you to watch while you're there...maybe bring Flashdance as well...she rides the incline in the movie. Also, The Crazies was also filmed in Evans City....several still identifiable locales still exist. A personal favorite movie of mine is the Bruce Willis flick 'Striking Distance'. If you have never seen it, while certainly not perfect, it does a great job of showcasing the city, and has a great car chase scene where a truck full of Iron City beers gets dumped all over the street!

Also, not sure where you will be coming from, or how, but if you are coming from the south, or from the airport, make sure to take the route which takes you through the Fort Pitt tunnel. When you emerge from the tunnel, you are on a bridge heading over the river to downtown....a truly awesome site to see.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 22-Jan-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: forgot to mention Striking Distance

United States
    we will be driving from illinois, it is about an eight-hour drive. we will most likely be approaching from the south, so we will take that route. and yes, we plan to coordinate our trip so that we can watch a pittsburgh pirates game. PNC park is easily one of the best looking ball parks in the majors with the clemente bridge in the background.

iron city beer is also something that is in the "must try" checklist, i've been wanting to try one of those forever being a romero fan. i even plan to buy a shirt or hat with the logo, maybe one just like tom's from the night '90 remake.

i was well aware that the crazies was also filmed in evans city, good to know there are still some recognizable landmarks around. and if i remember correctly, didn't you once post pictures of your trip to the area on these forums? i remember you telling something about that restaurant and the view, couldn't remember the name of the place though.

i appreciate your quick response, will definitely bookmark this page for future reference. i tried to click on the link in your signature to see if you still had pictures and stuff, but my browser warned me about an unsafe or untrusted link, so i didn't proceed, as i've had enough computer crashes over the years. anywho, if you still have those pics i'd love to see them. thanks again.

edit: and i looked in your statred threads post history, but unfortunately, most of the pics you posted are no longer viewable.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 23-Jan-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Yeah my ISP quit providing free web space, and I never redid my little site anywhere. I will think about where to host something now. Guess I should post them to somewhere that most people use.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post

Of course, the proper response was, what is Night of the Living Dead.

Cool.