Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doom 4 Open Beta 15-17 April

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Doom 4 Open Beta 15-17 April

So on Steam you can play the upcoming Doom game in an Open Beta. I'm downloading it right now.
    I'm a big fan of all things Doom. I grew up on the original two games. Looking forward to it, tho it looks to play more like Halo than the Doom predecessors.

Ireland
    Cheers for the heads up.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Holy crap this game is fun. And fast-paced.

United States
    based on the solid reviews the single-player campaign is getting, i've decided i'm buying this as soon as it goes on sale. looks like a damn good time!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I pre-ordered it.

I'm only like 40 minutes or so into the singleplayer campaign, but DAMN it's tense. Action packed to the rim.

The multiplayer is really fun too. I have some issues with it. Will be writing a review soon enough.

England
    I bought it Friday night and played it pretty much solidly all weekend, it's awesome! Plot wise although it still follows the usual Doom story it's much weaker than Doom3, but that aside the gameplay is fantastic, real old skool run and gun stuff! Visually impressive, great atmospheric music and solid sounding booms when you let rip with the shotguns. Recommended!

Super Moderator

UK
    I finally hopped on the next gen train and got myself an Xbox One S.

I made sure to get a copy of Doom and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I've got four levels left to go and the gameplay is indeed fantastic. It straddles the 'old and new school' divide quite well, and it's so satisfying to perform a new glory kill (or chainsaw kill) on a new demon. The platforming bits (e.g. when climbing that ruddy big Argent Tower thingymywatsit) don't have get my hands sweating.

I will say, though, when it checked for an update it said it was 35-flipping-gigs!!! WTF is that about? Is that in addition to the 45gb install size, or is it an exceptionally inefficient patch that replaces a bunch of the install data? My connection is slower than molasses in January (Redneck Rampage reference fer ya there ), so I'd be there for a couple of weeks of solid downloading to get all that downloaded (hence why I've not updated Doom) ... meanwhile FarCry 4 had a total patch size of 1.7gb (still bloody big in my estimation, but decidedly reasonable by comparison - hence why I did update FC4 ... not that I've got around to playing it yet).

There really should be a way to split the patches up into segments, e.g. 1) Vital updates (e.g. fixes for any game breaking/basic functionality problems), 2) Multiplayer gubbins (I don't play online), and 3) General bells and whistles that aren't necessesarily necessary.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Dec-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Administrator

England
    From being the underdog to the PS4, the XBox One has done a good job carving out a place for itself... Build in 4K player and HDR! Nice!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    From being the underdog to the PS4, the XBox One has done a good job carving out a place for itself... Build in 4K player and HDR! Nice!
    The thing that irks me still, though, is that it seems you have to be online in order to 'register' any of your achievements from gameplay. WTF is that about? You could do it just fine offline with the Xbox 360, so why does it need to change? Then I go online (the wireless receiver is good so it manages to pick up a decent signal) and it seems to discover an achievement or two that I've unlocked, but it seems kind of inconsistent at recognising them sometimes. A smaller thing, but still - why faff it about with an online requirement, can't they just be registered offline just as easily?

I'm also playing Forza Horizon 3 at the moment (came with the console) and it's rather fun (open world 'arcadey' racing game set in Australia).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Let's do a deathmatch then. You're in the UK, it's not too far.

Btw, I will destroy you.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 14-Dec-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: jjj

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Let's do a deathmatch then. You're in the UK, it's not too far.

Btw, I will destroy you.

Well, doesn't that sound fun?

I'm not on Xbox Live, though, as I've never really had much of an interest in playing games online. But thanks for the offer anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Pussy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I actually didn't finish the singleplayer until a week ago. I mostly spent my time doing Multiplayer, which I enjoy.

But the singleplayer campaign was something else. Wow, really amazing and action packed stuff. Edge of your seat action.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I've just never really got into Multiplayer - online anyway - I used to play Halo 2 deathmatch with some of my mates back in the day. We'd play that game for hours and hours - good times - I think that's the key thing for me. Multiplayer online you're still sat in a room on your own, often having to deal with too many arseholes and people who are way better at the game than you, whereas multiplayer in-person you're with your mates having a laugh.

But at heart I've always been about the single player experience in games, to get lost in the world the dev team have created - and yeah, Doom's single player is rather good. They dispense with unnecessary story gubbins (quite humorously at times) and just focus on excellent gameplay. The fast-paced arena combat is a hell of a lot of fun (although it is used a touch too much at times), and how you dispense the final boss made me burst out into a devilish grin.

You might want to check out a three-part documentary about the making of Doom (2016) on the NoClip YouTube channel. It's a really good watch and even digs into the aborted Doom 4 project (with preview footage).

PART ONE (of THREE) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Dec-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A few months ago trying to keep up with Doom multiplayer was impossible because the people who were still playing it were the cream of the crop. Kinda like picking up Counter-Strike today; You're only gonna face people who have played it for years.

But now with the closing of the year, winter sales and Doom appearing on all sorts of "Game of the Year" lists there's an influx of rookies to kill.