Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doom 4 Open Beta 15-17 April

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, I've just never really got into Multiplayer - online anyway - I used to play Halo 2 deathmatch with some of my mates back in the day. We'd play that game for hours and hours - good times - I think that's the key thing for me. Multiplayer online you're still sat in a room on your own, often having to deal with too many arseholes and people who are way better at the game than you, whereas multiplayer in-person you're with your mates having a laugh.

But at heart I've always been about the single player experience in games, to get lost in the world the dev team have created - and yeah, Doom's single player is rather good. They dispense with unnecessary story gubbins (quite humorously at times) and just focus on excellent gameplay. The fast-paced arena combat is a hell of a lot of fun (although it is used a touch too much at times), and how you dispense the final boss made me burst out into a devilish grin.

You might want to check out a three-part documentary about the making of Doom (2016) on the NoClip YouTube channel. It's a really good watch and even digs into the aborted Doom 4 project (with preview footage).

PART ONE (of THREE) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA
    Well, that's made me want to get it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, that's made me want to get it!
    You should definitely get it and you can probably pick it up quite cheap, too. I got my copy for £14 and certainly got plenty of bang for my buck.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You should definitely get it and you can probably pick it up quite cheap, too. I got my copy for £14 and certainly got plenty of bang for my buck.
    Can you do levels in co-op with one or more friends?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Erm ... you mean like play the main campaign with another person? No.

If you want that kind of thing, I noticed that "Far Cry 4" lets you do co-op campaign gameplay (although, again, I'm just playing it single player ... it came out in 2014, IIRC).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Jan-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    No, but there is a third mode called "SnapMap" where users can create their own maps. In this function there are a lot of COOP maps available, including several with a Survival theme.

Not sure if Snapmap is on the consoles but I don't see why not.

Administrator

England
    Well, I've bought it... Just got to wait for 60GB to download now!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, I've bought it... Just got to wait for 60GB to download now!
    Download code, is it?

I stick with physical media, personally (although you still need to install the data on the console itself). I didn't download the update for it because it's like 35gb or something stupid!!! My internet connection simply ain't anywhere near fast enough to shift that kind of data in a reasonable time - it's been even slower over the holidays as well, what with all these people sitting online all day sending festive-themed pictures of their wing wangs and hoo hahs to each other.

Also - yes - SnapMap is available on the console version.