Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Justice League (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Justice League (film)

After Batman V Superman divided audiences, everyone involved promised that Justice League was always designed to be the lighter and more "fun" film of Snyder's DC trilogy. It certainly seems that way and I love what I'm seeing!

Last edited by bassman; 23-Jul-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Your persisting optimism despite Warner Bros. ineptitude at delivering coherent action films surprises me.

After Man of Steel, the second worst film of 2013, and BvS, possibly the dumbest film targeted at adult people I've ever seen, I hold no high hopes.

Flash seems just as cringeinducing as Lex.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 25-Jul-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: sfdsdfsf

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've enjoyed the previous two films, warts and all. If anything, the mediocre response showed WB what NOT to do with Justice League.

From the bits weve seen, I think im going to enjoy Miller's take on Barry Allen, as well....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

So much comic book goodness. Hopefully it delivers.

United States
    Looks fun to me.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, looks fun.

"What's your super power?" - "I'm rich."

I rather enjoyed Batman v Superman and have watched it twice now (although I've only seen the extended cut). BvS and Suicide Squad absolutely have their problems, but the way they were relentlessly shat upon by the critics and click bait media was asinine.

Ireland
    Unfortunately, I knew the punchline to that question as soon as I heard it. There's an old(ish) meme about Batman and Ironman's "being rich" super power. Damn you internet!!!!!!

Anyway, thought 'Batman vs Superman' was fine comicbook fare myself. I didn't get what all the subsequent nonsense was about. This, I'm not so sure about. I fear DC may try to "lighten up" their grumpy Superman and pissed off Batman and turn them into unfunny quipsters. They should just have the balls to stick to their convictions. I don't like their Aquaman either from what I see. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned there only two truly good superheroes.

'Suicide Squad', on the other hand, was bloody awful.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Zack Snyder has stepped away from the film after his daughter committed suicide in March. Although the majority of the film was already filmed, Avengers director Joss Whedon has stepped in for post production and to write/direct additional filmjng. Whedon was recently announced to have joined the DC film universe starting with a Batgirl movie.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for Snyder, but I think he made the right decision to leave the film and be with his family.

United States
    Poor guy... However I don't like his movies and I'm not into comic book super heroes either so I doubt I'll be seeing this. Yep siree I'm one of those guys pre-determined to hate a movie before I even see it.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody hell! I had no idea. Damn, what an awful thing to happen.

He made the right decision and I hope they're able to find peace with it (well, as far as anyone reasonably could). Damn...

Ireland
    Jesus, that's awful. Poor fella.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Indeed, it really broke my heart to hear about anyone going through such a horrible tragedy. Like, love, or hate Snyder for his various films, you feel for him after hearing this news.

As a side note, it's amazing that this story was kept quiet for two months before the Snyder's wanted to announce it themselves. Apparently multiple news outlets had heard about what happened but every one of them respected the family and kept quiet. In a business where being the first to break news is of the most importance, it almost restores my faith in humanity that the family was able to announce it in their own way.

Tragedy aside....Isn't it a bit strange that one of the big dogs of Marvel and director of The Avengers is now also working with the "competition" and completing DC's Justice League?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Zack Snyder has stepped away from the film after his daughter committed suicide in March. Although the majority of the film was already filmed, Avengers director Joss Whedon has stepped in for post production and to write/direct additional filmjng. Whedon was recently announced to have joined the DC film universe starting with a Batgirl movie.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for Snyder, but I think he made the right decision to leave the film and be with his family.
    Christ, she was only 20

It's amazing what some people are driven to by mental health issues (I assume she was in this category)... So sad!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As a side note, it's amazing that this story was kept quiet for two months before the Snyder's wanted to announce it themselves. Apparently multiple news outlets had heard about what happened but every one of them respected the family and kept quiet. In a business where being the first to break news is of the most importance, it almost restores my faith in humanity that the family was able to announce it in their own way.
    We could certainly use a lot more of that these days - some integrity in the media once again. Get rid of the clickbait and the rush to be first to report (rather than correct in their reporting), and - as in this instance - appropriately respect the privacy of individuals regardless of fame or wealth.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Spoiler free....

It's a fun time at the movies. Not great but also not a bad film by any means. It's very clear that their decision to make the film lighter after BVS was a priority. It still feels very much like a continuation from Man of Steel and BVS, but takes on a more light hearted adventure film.

It no doubt has it's flaws, some of them being pacing and plot, but it excels with it's characters. Each hero has their own distinctive personality and they all blend really well together to make a diverse but connected team. Even characters that some fans felt they'd missed their mark on in previous films now feel like they're spot on to their comic origins and traditions. There's a huge sense of hope, optimism, and humor when called for, even for the more brooding characters from previous films. They smile, joke, and laugh! The Flash is the film's biggest comedic relief character and he's a joy to watch. While a different character, Aquaman is also a blast. I can't wait to see their solo films coming up!

As I said, it's not a disaster, but at the same time the film also feels as though it was a committee job. Whether that's down to just how it was made or because of Snyder having to back away in the middle of production, I'm not sure. I spotted a few scenes that felt like they were definitely Whedon's work, but I'm not sure if anyone without knowledge of the films turbulent production would even notice.

In all, it's a fun ride. Can't really say it's any more than that or that I ever expected more than that. So it's a success in that sense. I'm not that type of fan that thinks you can either be a Marvel or DC fan, but can't like both. That being said, comparing this to Avengers only makes sense considering that they're thematically similar, and I'd say they're on even ground.

I recommend it for a fun time.