Thread: AMC Claims, "The Walking Dead" Could Run 20 Years!

Fresh Meat

United States

AMC Claims, "The Walking Dead" Could Run 20 Years!

AMC claims that the walking dead cound run for 20 years!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco.../#64caabc0a1d4

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... I can't seem to read the article (I just get a quote of the day and nothing else) ... but as for it running for 20 years? Well ... I absolutely adore The Walking Dead, but I don't want it to continue for 20 years. I already feel the comics need to be moving towards an end point now, and there's no real need for even successful shows to outstay their welcome.

I want it to run for a good while yet - and the key thing is to maintain the quality of the material, and keep hold of the key creative forces and actors throughout - but I don't want to see it dragged out either. Whatever is truthfully appropriate is best. Look at Game of Thrones - they're doing two more (shorter) seasons and that's our lot. It's hugely successful, but there's not much story left to tell. Everything has to come to an end eventually.

The idea of 25 or 30 seasons of TWD is just silly, in my opinion - and I'm a huge fan of the show.

BTW - I deleted the other copy of this thread in the Dead Discussion forum. No need for duplicates.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Aug-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Ireland
    A 20 year show will inevitably start repeating itself until we end up with a situation like 'Coronation Street' or something. Stories will become so bland and generic that they won't be worth watching. Of course you could say that 'Coronation Street' has a great viewership, but I'd argue that soaps are targeted at a particular audience (women and gay men, largely) and that something like 'The Walking Dead' couldn't survive with that kind of limited demographic. Soaps are also engaged in a kind of war with other soaps, each of which have their loyal following.

That kind of thing isn't going to happen with 'The Walking Dead' and it shouldn't either.

No, if TWD reaches 10 years, it'll be doing well. There has already been some repetition in the storyline. Negan is essentially Governor II and I predict that a lot of viewers will see it that way in the next series and a good bit of writing leaves a lot to be desired as well.

It's a good show, but 20 years of it will turn it to muck and I cannot imagine many people watching now tuning into 'The Walking Dead' in 14 years time.

A good proportion of them will be dead themselves!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Well, if Glenn continues to miraculously survive almost-guaranteed death situations the show could go on forever just on his story-line alone.

Note: I like Glenn, he is a cool character and all, but come on! As Bill Clinton would say: "He's luckier than a dog with two dicks"

United States
    Maybe we'll get a flashback episode, where they all reminisce on the folly of it all...

United States
    Don't need 20 years of TWD but I'll be happy with 10.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Greatest tv show in the history of my life. But 20 years is too much. As mentioned above, there already is repetitive story telling. 10 sounds good Moon. I really, and I stress really, want to see some original cast members survive the apocalypse and 3 more seasons isn't too long to keep them around. My fear is that the shows longevity will cause some actors the desire to move on to other projects.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Greatest tv show in the history of my life. But 20 years is too much. As mentioned above, there already is repetitive story telling. 10 sounds good Moon. I really, and I stress really, want to see some original cast members survive the apocalypse and 3 more seasons isn't too long to keep them around. My fear is that the shows longevity will cause some actors the desire to move on to other projects.
    Carl, Michonne, and Judith are the ones I want standing in the end.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    And in Judith's case - literally.

I think 10 to 12 seasons would be a decent number. 'All Out War' in the comics was spread out over many issues, but on-screen you're not going to get a large number of episodes out of it (half a season's worth with build up?). I'm still reading the trade paperbacks, but I'm less interested in the latest 'Whisperers' storyline. I think the comic needs an end game now - something to aim for. I know it's a cash cow, but I don't know how much long it can realistically go on for.

In terms of the show, yeah, you need to be able to retain your key cast members - Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs in particular, I'd say, as to me The Walking Dead has always been a father & son story. The story of a father shepherding his son through the zombie apocalypse on the road to becoming a man.

If I was in charge of where the story was going at the end of it all, it'd go something like this: society has essentially been re-established in a new form, but Rick is mortally wounded and dies, but he dies happy because he has successfully shepherded Carl to manhood in this new world (his job is complete) ... naturally, Carl stays by his side in order to be the one to make sure Rick stays dead, but after everything they've been through he can't do it. Before he knows it much time has passed - and Rick hasn't resurrected - he waits some more, and still no resurrection - Rick's death and failure to resurrect would then be the first sign that the virus has gone. The zombie threat is over (indeed, the zombies out there in the wilderness will be far fewer in number - partly due to mass exterminations by a re-organised civilisation, but also due to extensive decay rendering millions of them immobile as lumps of ineffective yet still barely functioning matter *don't step on one!* ) - and so that's how I'd end The Walking Dead ... which, back to topic, would be why it'd be key to hold on to Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs, especially Lincoln as he's always been our guide through this world. He's shepherding Carl through the apocalypse, but also the audience. To start and end with Rick Grimes would be a great way to do it.

A story can linger for longer on the page, but on-screen it can't to the same degree. With the amount of time it takes to do these shows, and with years passing over the course of its production, you can't go on forever. This talk of twenty years is pointless bluster on AMC's part, and misguided if they truly believe that. Everything must wrap up sooner or later. As I said earlier in this thread - take HBO's stance on wrapping up Game of Thrones. They're not doing any filler, they accept that it's coming to an end, and that's that. While GoT is a great show, the story is reaching its conclusion. Chucking in a bunch of filler would just disrespect the material and the fans, and the whole thing would limp rather than charge towards its end game. The Walking Dead - and AMC in particular - mustn't choose the alternative of filler and dragging it out needlessly. I'd hate to see TWD go out with a strained whimper instead of a bang.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That's pretty bold considering you left off Rosita. You feeling ok?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    That's pretty bold considering you left off Rosita. You feeling ok?
    I can't be selfish, haha. Her chances of survival are slim and I know that. I just hope her death is handled well and she gets better development before her time is up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And in Judith's case - literally.

I think 10 to 12 seasons would be a decent number. 'All Out War' in the comics was spread out over many issues, but on-screen you're not going to get a large number of episodes out of it (half a season's worth with build up?). I'm still reading the trade paperbacks, but I'm less interested in the latest 'Whisperers' storyline. I think the comic needs an end game now - something to aim for. I know it's a cash cow, but I don't know how much long it can realistically go on for.

In terms of the show, yeah, you need to be able to retain your key cast members - Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs in particular, I'd say, as to me The Walking Dead has always been a father & son story. The story of a father shepherding his son through the zombie apocalypse on the road to becoming a man.

If I was in charge of where the story was going at the end of it all, it'd go something like this: society has essentially been re-established in a new form, but Rick is mortally wounded and dies, but he dies happy because he has successfully shepherded Carl to manhood in this new world (his job is complete) ... naturally, Carl stays by his side in order to be the one to make sure Rick stays dead, but after everything they've been through he can't do it. Before he knows it much time has passed - and Rick hasn't resurrected - he waits some more, and still no resurrection - Rick's death and failure to resurrect would then be the first sign that the virus has gone. The zombie threat is over (indeed, the zombies out there in the wilderness will be far fewer in number - partly due to mass exterminations by a re-organised civilisation, but also due to extensive decay rendering millions of them immobile as lumps of ineffective yet still barely functioning matter *don't step on one!* ) - and so that's how I'd end The Walking Dead ... which, back to topic, would be why it'd be key to hold on to Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs, especially Lincoln as he's always been our guide through this world. He's shepherding Carl through the apocalypse, but also the audience. To start and end with Rick Grimes would be a great way to do it.

A story can linger for longer on the page, but on-screen it can't to the same degree. With the amount of time it takes to do these shows, and with years passing over the course of its production, you can't go on forever. This talk of twenty years is pointless bluster on AMC's part, and misguided if they truly believe that. Everything must wrap up sooner or later. As I said earlier in this thread - take HBO's stance on wrapping up Game of Thrones. They're not doing any filler, they accept that it's coming to an end, and that's that. While GoT is a great show, the story is reaching its conclusion. Chucking in a bunch of filler would just disrespect the material and the fans, and the whole thing would limp rather than charge towards its end game. The Walking Dead - and AMC in particular - mustn't choose the alternative of filler and dragging it out needlessly. I'd hate to see TWD go out with a strained whimper instead of a bang.
    I love that ending. It'll be quite the swerve if The Walking Dead gets a happy ending.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 19-Aug-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Mamacita

Being Attacked

United States
    Imagine that - killing off characters by way of old age!

If they really wanted to squeeze money out of their cash cow what they'll probably do is shut the series down in the next couple years only to have it come back on the big screen like Star Trek or something like...

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Maybe we'll get a flashback episode, where they all reminisce on the folly of it all...
    Or a Halloween or Christmas episode, as if it was a typical sitcom

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Or a Halloween or Christmas episode, as if it was a typical sitcom
    I think Revolution even had sort of a Halloween episode...

I sometimes think about our survivors (of course we never get to see them in the dead of winter because filming stops) sitting around eating rations and then all of a sudden going - "Oh shit...it's Christmas..."