Thread: The Girl With All the Gifts (zombie type film)

Administrator

England

The Girl With All the Gifts (zombie type film)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/2...e-gifts-review

Christmas comes early, not just for fans of zombie flicks, but anyone who appreciates smart, exciting genre films in general. Light on gore but heavy on brains, The Girl With All the Gifts delivers what it means to be living, undead or a new combination of the two, with originality and guts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGkB_oWTe0
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I read about this in Total Film recently. It sounds (and looks) like an interesting flick, putting a fresher spin on the zombie thing ... although, of course, they have to be runners. I think the zombies in this are caused by a version of that fungus that zombifies ants.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    although, of course, they have to be runners.
    For some reason modern audiences seem to think that zombies need to be fast to be threatening. One of the charms of the old zombie flicks was the fact that the zombies were slow but persistent, tireless and present in ever increasing numbers, so their speed would not affect their menace. You could outrun them, sure, but sooner or later they would catch up with you and either get you or besiege you, as you would eventually run out of safe places to escape them. I am glad that the people who created The Walking Dead got the point and did not make their zombies to be Olympic athletes.
    Last edited by JDP; 23-Sep-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    For some reason modern audiences seem to think that zombies need to be fast to be threatening. One of the charms of the old zombie flicks was the fact that the zombies were slow but persistent, tireless and present in ever increasing numbers, so their speed would not affect their menace. You could outrun them, sure, but sooner or later they would catch up with you and either get you or besiege you, as you would eventually run out of safe places to escape them. I am glad that the people who created The Walking Dead got the point and did not make their zombies to be Olympic athletes.
    Agreed all-round with this.

In "The Girl With All The Gifts" they call them "hungries", so ... but yeah, even still, anything running at you screaming is scary in a kinda flat "BOO!" scare way. It's a basic human instinct to run when you're being chased ... but beyond that you're kind of up against a wall. The real creeping dread that gets under your skin - that's 'Romero style' zombies - the slow ones. Like you say, no matter what you do, sooner or later they're coming for you.

Still, though, this flick looks pretty good - it got a 4/5 in Total Film.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's a basic human instinct to run when you're being chased.
    Yerp! (the one a 1m is glorious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW-cfP3CqE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, I remember you posting that video a couple of years ago - I'd do the same thing if I saw a big crowd running towards me - run the hell away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwwEJXdinY

Mark Kermode's review of the flick.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Sep-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I've always felt that the living dead represented the death that comes to us all. If one is smart, you can avoid death (as in I won't walk down the motorway into oncoming traffic), but eventually it'll get you in the end. The slow dead lends that analogy more umph than the Usain Bolt versions, who are little better than the raptors in 'Jurassic Park'. Sure they can be scary, but it eliminates the slow building dread that is represented by the Romero type zombie.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....