Thread: Lost In Space reboot (TV series)

Administrator

England

Lost In Space reboot (TV series)

Could be interesting if done well. Obviously the galaxy is your oyster with a premise like this show's! - http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/lost...ix-1201806272/

The new series will be produced by Legendary Television. Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, the screenwriting team behind the films “Dracula Untold” and “Last Witch Hunter,” will write the new series, with “Prison Break” veteran Zack Estrin set to serve as showrunner. The three will executive produce alongside Synthesis Entertainment’s Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni , Applebox’s Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig. Marshall is also set to direct several episodes of the show. The series is set to premiere in 2018.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Um, I dunno. Something like 'Lost in Space' kind of only works in the 60's. I can't see how modern audiences will buy into the basic story these days, unless there are significant changes. But then you end up losing the dubious charms of what made the original series enjoyable.

I remember that bloody awful film they made a few years ago. God, that was pants.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    The modern version will be full of political correctness and sensibility issues. For example, Dr. Smith will apologize for being so mean to the robot (an ever growing segment of the population, which will be deeply offended by his comments about electro-mechanical beings) and for having put everyone's lives in jeopardy after one of his usual treacherous schemes, and then he will go to therapy and do some community service to help "the healing process".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Um, I dunno. Something like 'Lost in Space' kind of only works in the 60's. I can't see how modern audiences will buy into the basic story these days, unless there are significant changes. But then you end up losing the dubious charms of what made the original series enjoyable.

I remember that bloody awful film they made a few years ago. God, that was pants.
    Agreed with this. I don't remember the film at all, tho. What did the robot look like?

Ireland
    IIRC, there was a before and after version...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The modern version will be full of political correctness and sensibility issues. For example, Dr. Smith will apologize for being so mean to the robot (an ever growing segment of the population, which will be deeply offended by his comments about electro-mechanical beings) and for having put everyone's lives in jeopardy after one of his usual treacherous schemes, and then he will go to therapy and do some community service to help "the healing process".
    PC seems to be so 2000s now... Seems shows are now more willing to go into slightly moee questionable areas/ethics to make themselves stand out.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    In certain ways. In others they are even more conservative. Feature films are not immune either.

For instance, the people of 'The Walking Dead' are some of the most politely spoken folk I know, despite their appalling living conditions.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Got it to be PC we have a dysfunctional family:
    John Robinson - African American male whose previous marriage ended due to his schizophrenia
    Maureen Robinson - Caucasian wife, mother of Judy, scottish
    Major West - British solider, ex black ops, movie London accent
    Doctor Smith - Chinese Spy.
    Judy - Caucasian, Maureen's daughter from a previous marriage
    Penny - Adopted Japanese daughter
    Will Robinson - Adopted Persian Boy

I came up with that but honestly wouldn't have a problem with it.

Ireland
    ...and Liam Neeson to voice the robot (Hollywood go-to "Irish" guy)

We all set.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan