Thread: Purge (TV Series)

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I wonder if the main conceit of the show - the whole 'purge night' thing - is still going to be as logic-free as in the movies.

I don't mean that it has to be logical to our world, but it just has to be logical to the world of the Purge - it has to have its own internal logic - and it never has, and that has been a huge distraction to me in the first two movies (haven't seen the third yet).

I can't imagine I'll bother watching unless they improve the writing and the internal sense of logic. There's plenty of meat in the origin story of the whole thing, potentially (perhaps you could do flashbacks during each episode that show the creation of Purge Night and how it all came to pass), but we'll see what ends up happening with it. However, by the sounds of what Demonaco is saying, it'll just be all about the violence of Purge Night again and again - if that's going to be the case then he's missing a massive opportunity to expose (and properly explain) how it all came to pass. You could have a plot thread that follows one or two key proponents of the Purge and see what they do/becomes of them after their law is passed.

Administrator

England
    It is a great sci-fi premise though isn't it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It is a great sci-fi premise though isn't it
    Yeah, the concept is good, but the execution of it is sloppy.

United States
    When I saw the DVD case in Walmart my first thought was "What is with the evil-looking Obama mask?"
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3