Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Creek (TV series)

Rising

United States

Wolf Creek (TV series)

Continuing with the apparent recent trend of turning movies into TV shows, the Wolf Creek movie franchise has now been turned into a TV mini-series:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4460878/

For those of you living in the United States, it will premiere October 14 on the Pop Network:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-915026

Administrator

England
    What the hell? How will this work!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What the hell? How will this work!?
    I think they have not been planning to make this one to be a long series, so far it seems they have limited it to six episodes and probably not planning on doing more (so the last episode will apparently indeed be "the last"; I wonder if Mick Taylor will get killed in that last episode?) So it seems like it will be more like a long "movie" divided into six separate weekly parts. I will be watching it since my cable provider does carry the Pop Network. I am curious to see it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh, so a mini series eh? Well, if it's a limited run thing then I might actually watch it. I have seen both movies, but I was a bit sceptical about a TV show version - but if it's a limited run like you say it is, then I might give it a crack and squeeze it into my telly schedule (or save it up for a binge viewing at a later date).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Oct-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Ireland
    I'm sort of interested. i really liked the films, the first one especially I thought was great.

But, a series? Um...I might give it a lash, but I just can't see it being as hard hitting as the films.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm sort of interested. i really liked the films, the first one especially I thought was great.

But, a series? Um...I might give it a lash, but I just can't see it being as hard hitting as the films.
    I wonder how much graphic violence and/or sexual content will the censors allow this network to get away with? These kind of movies rely a lot on the messed up things that the psycho-killer does to the victims, so one has to wonder how well can they translate into TV shows. I am very curious to see what this network will or will not manage to get away with.
    Last edited by JDP; 12-Oct-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    I had a look last night and all six episodes are available via Sky On Demand for those with Sky. The episodes will be deleted on November 3rd (IIRC), though, so best get it downloaded soon if you're going to give it a go (which I think I will).

Rising

United States
    Saw the premiere on the Pop Network yesterday. Not bad. It is not as explicit and graphically violent as the movies, naturally, but for a TV show it is fairly graphic (though not as much as some of AMC's shows. Maybe AMC should have produced this series, seeing as they seem to get away with more explicit content.) The plot is pretty entertaining as well:

Spoiler:

It seems like Mick Taylor might himself become the "hunted" at the hands of one of his former victims. He made a big mistake assuming that the crocodiles must have taken care of her.

Super Moderator

UK
    Is the Pop Network a basic cable channel in America, along the lines of AMC (with some content restrictions)? Or is it more like HBO or Showtime or Starz where you pay for it specifically (with no content restrictions), or is it a more 'general' network channel (with loads of content restrictions)?

I think I read that it was done as a web show in Australia ... so I'm wondering if the Pop network censored it at all, or showed a pre-prepared watered down version?

I've downloaded all the episodes, but I've not got onto it yet.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Is the Pop Network a basic cable channel in America, along the lines of AMC (with some content restrictions)? Or is it more like HBO or Showtime or Starz where you pay for it specifically (with no content restrictions), or is it a more 'general' network channel (with loads of content restrictions)?

I think I read that it was done as a web show in Australia ... so I'm wondering if the Pop network censored it at all, or showed a pre-prepared watered down version?

I've downloaded all the episodes, but I've not got onto it yet.
    Yes, it is a cable network similar to AMC, but for some reason AMC seems to get away with more graphic content than most similar networks (The Walking Dead is almost unthinkable in most networks of its kind.) It might be a "self-imposed" code of censorship, though. For example, El Rey Network only censors content during the day and early night, after 9:00 PM almost anything goes (they even show Fulci movies, wholly uncut, all nudity and gore intact!)

I am not sure about the production of the show, some articles say that the Pop Network was involved in the production, while others say it's an Australian production that was picked up by Pop. It is also not clear whether the show will continue after the six episodes that have been made. This article implies that the Pop Network was not involved in the production of the six episodes, but that it might get involved in co-producing further episodes if the series is well received:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/08/...olf-creek.html

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It is also not clear whether the show will continue after the six episodes that have been made.
    Ahh, so maybe it's basically a one off TV movie affair? That might maker more sense?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, it seemed kind of hazy to me whether it was a one-off mini-series or not (hedging their bets, I reckon). I've yet to watch it, but I would kind of prefer it to be a one-off run. There's only so much juice you can get out of the premise, even if the guy playing Mick Taylor does a bang-up job.

Once I get around to watching it I'll report back with my thoughts.

Interesting bit of info there on the El Rey Network - I like that idea of a cable channel showing whatever the hell after 9pm, although I wonder what their viewing figures are like. If they had more viewers (and therefore more advertising dollars) would they have to sacrifice their intentions to stave off easily offended busy body mothers screaming "won't someone think of the children?!" as their own brood shrivel up from the lack of hands-on parenting and general support & love because their mother's too wrapped up in her own sense of self-importance stamping her feet demanding censorship so she doesn't have to do her job as a parent ... ... /rant.

Good that AMC has been able to get away with as much gore as it has done. Now if only they could break through America's fear of the F-word on cable TV without having to mute it out (Universal does the same thing with Mr Robot ... ... although on a couple of occasions, incredibly, the C-word and the N-word both got by just fine! )
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Oct-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ahh, so maybe it's basically a one off TV movie affair? That might maker more sense?
    Yes, but the six "parts" so far made are not being presented as "a movie", they are being shown as actual 1 hour weekly episodes, just like if you were watching any other TV series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, it seemed kind of hazy to me whether it was a one-off mini-series or not (hedging their bets, I reckon). I've yet to watch it, but I would kind of prefer it to be a one-off run. There's only so much juice you can get out of the premise, even if the guy playing Mick Taylor does a bang-up job.
    Indeed, even though the plot is interesting you can't prolong it too much. If this series is given a green light for more episodes it should not make it beyond a second season. Give closure to the story by then (either Mick dies or he manages to escape his former victim's revenge, but don't make it any longer than it should be.)

Interesting bit of info there on the El Rey Network - I like that idea of a cable channel showing whatever the hell after 9pm, although I wonder what their viewing figures are like. If they had more viewers (and therefore more advertising dollars) would they have to sacrifice their intentions to stave off easily offended busy body mothers screaming "won't someone think of the children?!" as their own brood shrivel up from the lack of hands-on parenting and general support & love because their mother's too wrapped up in her own sense of self-importance stamping her feet demanding censorship so she doesn't have to do her job as a parent ... ... /rant.
    Judging by the fact that they show plenty of commercials at all hours of the day, including the uncensored hours, it seems like this network is doing very well. It is very amusing to be seeing a commercial for, say, beer or Coca-Cola, and soon after to see a mutilated, eye-gouged and disemboweled woman's corpse being slowly devoured by a group of rotting zombies. I never thought I would see the day this would happen. A dream come true!

Good that AMC has been able to get away with as much gore as it has done. Now if only they could break through America's fear of the F-word on cable TV without having to mute it out (Universal does the same thing with Mr Robot ... ... although on a couple of occasions, incredibly, the C-word and the N-word both got by just fine! )
    I was surprised to see how graphic The Walking Dead is for a network show. Some people have been complaining about the level of graphic violence in that show since early in the show's history:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...iolence-402047
    Last edited by JDP; 16-Oct-2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: ;

Ireland
    This El Rey yoke sounds like my kind of channel. Mike 70 used to talk about it a bit IIRC.

When I was a kid, I could only dream of a TV channel that would show Lucio Fulci films, or 'Day of the Dead' uncut...or at all.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    I watched the last episode yesterday (it aired last Friday night but I recorded it for later viewing):

Even though they don't explicitly show Mick still alive at the end, it is obvious that he managed to survive his wounds and escape the fire. His corpse was not found in the spot where he was supposedly "killed" and we see his truck going down the highway. The producers are evidently leaving the option of a second season "open", just in case some investor, like the Pop Network, shows enough interest in backing it up.

It could easily go for another season, but no more. The material does not lend itself for more than that.

Overall, not bad at all! I found this show to be very entertaining.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Nov-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Placed spoiler suggesting text inside spoiler tags.