Thread: I am so happy this sight is still going strong!

Fresh Meat

Aaland

I am so happy this sight is still going strong!

It was October of 1999 when I finally got internet. My sister had gotten accepted at the state university in our hometown and gotten us free internet through her school. My dad refused to pay for it, he didn't think it was going to be worth a damn. Me being a 14 year old boy at the time, naturally the first thing I typed into the yahoo search engine was "big boobs". After I got tired of waiting for a jpeg to load painfully slow one row of pixels at a time, I bailed out somewhere's around the collar bone. Right after that, I heard a commercial on the Sci-Fi channel stating they were going to show all three of Romero's Dead trilogy that weekend. Me being the diehard zombie fan that I was, I decided to see if there was anything zombie related on the world wide web. Low and behold, I stumbled across this site. As soon as the page loaded, and that theme music started to play, I knew I was in the right place. I got opened up to a world of other people that were like me. They walked the aisles of video rental stores looking for the obscure zombie films nobody at blockbuster knew about. They had several different cuts of each VHS, each with there own unique deleted scenes included. I finally got to read the original Day of the Dead script I had heard about from the local video store clerk. I found the fiction section. Good god, I skipped school for the next 3 days so I could read all the stories I could. Neil used to have a picture of his Nissan 180SX hatch (I loved Nissan sports cars, especially the 180SX's and 300ZX TT's) in the about tab. The forums were filled with people like MinionZombie, Wooley, and Philly SWAT. On Sundays, there would be a chat room to discuss zombie related things. I used to check each day to see if there was new fiction posted. After I graduated high school, I kind of lost touch with the sight. Fast forward 17 years, I heard HPOTD get mentioned on a NOTLD commentary on youtube. (Oliver Harpers channel). It got me wondering, and now I'm here. It's so awesome that this site is still in operation. Just want to say thanks to Neil for creating the webpage, I have alot of fond memories here.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes_85 View Post
    The forums were filled with people like MinionZombie, Wooley, and Philly SWAT. On Sundays, there would be a chat room to discuss zombie related things. I used to check each day to see if there was new fiction posted. After I graduated high school, I kind of lost touch with the sight. Fast forward 17 years, I heard HPOTD get mentioned on a NOTLD commentary on youtube. (Oliver Harpers channel). It got me wondering, and now I'm here. It's so awesome that this site is still in operation. Just want to say thanks to Neil for creating the webpage, I have alot of fond memories here.
    Welcome back to the fold!

Yep, I had a similar experience stumbling across HPOTD for the first time back in the good old 20th Century (that would have been on the 'DiscussionApp' version of the forum), and I've stuck around ever since, hehe. I've hopped by other forums over the years, but have never stuck around those for any real length of time, the vibe just isn't the same. HPOTD is a smaller community, but as such it's not impersonal like bigger forums and there's no silly bullshit to contend with.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Oct-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes_85 View Post
    It was October of 1999 when I finally got internet. My sister had gotten accepted at the state university in our hometown and gotten us free internet through her school. My dad refused to pay for it, he didn't think it was going to be worth a damn. Me being a 14 year old boy at the time, naturally the first thing I typed into the yahoo search engine was "big boobs". After I got tired of waiting for a jpeg to load painfully slow one row of pixels at a time, I bailed out somewhere's around the collar bone. Right after that, I heard a commercial on the Sci-Fi channel stating they were going to show all three of Romero's Dead trilogy that weekend. Me being the diehard zombie fan that I was, I decided to see if there was anything zombie related on the world wide web. Low and behold, I stumbled across this site. As soon as the page loaded, and that theme music started to play, I knew I was in the right place. I got opened up to a world of other people that were like me. They walked the aisles of video rental stores looking for the obscure zombie films nobody at blockbuster knew about. They had several different cuts of each VHS, each with there own unique deleted scenes included. I finally got to read the original Day of the Dead script I had heard about from the local video store clerk. I found the fiction section. Good god, I skipped school for the next 3 days so I could read all the stories I could. Neil used to have a picture of his Nissan 180SX hatch (I loved Nissan sports cars, especially the 180SX's and 300ZX TT's) in the about tab. The forums were filled with people like MinionZombie, Wooley, and Philly SWAT. On Sundays, there would be a chat room to discuss zombie related things. I used to check each day to see if there was new fiction posted. After I graduated high school, I kind of lost touch with the sight. Fast forward 17 years, I heard HPOTD get mentioned on a NOTLD commentary on youtube. (Oliver Harpers channel). It got me wondering, and now I'm here. It's so awesome that this site is still in operation. Just want to say thanks to Neil for creating the webpage, I have alot of fond memories here.
    Damn you for mentioning my 200SX

I got rid of it about 2yrs or so ago... Me being the longest owner on the owner club, selling it to the second longest owner on the owners club. It had the beginnings of some rust that just needed to be sorted by someone who knew what they were doing. I miss that car I owned it for about 19yrs

Nice to see you again... Ready for The Walking Dead next week
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    And it's hard to believe that next year will be twenty years for me; since finding this site and posting my first zombie fiction. I just recently discovered Oliver Harper and I'm suitably impressed by his generally thorough coverage of the films we all love- or at least love to dislike. I'll have to check out his take on NOTLD. Definitely this is a site worth keeping.