Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (video game)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Red Dead Redemption 2 (video game)

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

It's felt like an eternity waiting for official word on this! The original is likely my favorite game of all time, so to say I'm excited would be an understatement...

Ireland
    +1

Surprised that RDR never appeared on the PC though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    So psyched for this!

In the meantime, I can't wait to dive back in to the game by way of backwards compatible niceness.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So psyched for this!

In the meantime, I can't wait to dive back in to the game by way of backwards compatible niceness.
    That should be an actual term.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England

Gh

After RDR1 and GTA on next gen I am super stoked for this. Always have been and will be in to Westerns.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 24-Oct-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: K
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Very welcome news, so it is. The teaser trailer looks great - RDR was visually stunning (sometimes I'd just sit in front of a wide open vista and watch the sun rise/set), and this new one looks even more gorgeous. Hopefully there'll still be plenty to do throughout the landscape with a few towns that are fairly built up to add a bit of variety.

I absolutely loved RDR. There was something quite special about being able to swagger into a town and have a showdown with some scumbag, play a few rounds of poker, gun down a couple of ne'er-do-wells, and ride off into the sunset for more adventures.

Some people are pondering if there'll be seven characters to choose from (akin to GTA V's three characters you could switch between), but might that be too many? Three was plenty, but I would welcome a female character to play as for some added variety, some sort of Calamity Jane type maybe.

Administrator

England
    Not so important news - New trailer

Important news - PC version confirmed

http://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-rede...a-new-trailer/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    It was strange how they never put out a PC version, wasn't it? GTA IV got one (albeit a somewhat dodgy port to begin with, IIRC), and if I recall L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 both got PC ports along with, naturally, GTA V. RDR was hugely successful ... perhaps Rockstar simply didn't have the resources for it? Hmmm ... glad I had a 360, as I played it on there. It was a great game and I'm properly looking forward to RDR2. The world looks absolutely stunning (as did RDR). With the previous game I'd just go and hang out on my horse at a vantage point and watch the gorgeous world pass by as the sun rose or set. Gorgeous, so it was. The design was spectacular.

United States

looks stunning! can't wait to mount up and just explore the wilderness...and maybe do some nefarious shit along the way.

Super Moderator

UK
    Looks gorgeous, doesn't it?

Did anyone else catch a familiar face in the trailer? John Marston - evidently just after he'd received the wounds that gave him his iconic scarring to the right side of his face (they've just been stitched up in the trailer). Although it seems that you're probably playing as someone else ... but I wonder if there'll be 'character switching' like in GTA V.

Likewise, I can't wait to go exploring. I remember with the previous game just marvelling at the open world Rockstar had created, enjoying the sunset/rise etc. Now it's going to be even more lush and vibrant. Damn, Rockstar really do craft some wonderfully immersive games!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Two days ago I bought the Xbox version of the first game just so I can play it on my nephews Xbox one in preparation for the release of RDR2. Looks fantastic! I need.

Super Moderator

UK

Some interesting tidbits about things Rockstar are doing to finesse the feel of immersion of open world gaming - to make it feel like the NPCs have lives independent of you, the player, and are not just there to benefit you and nothing else.

I love it how Rockstar really think about how to achieve greater and more immersive things with their games ... but hopefully we won't have to wait five ruddy years between RDR2 and their next game!

This game has been in the works for 8 years, as well!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just heard that RDR2 is now available for preorder. There’s also news that PS4 editions of the game will have exclusives available before Xbox One.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redempti...lay-1826536689

Super Moderator

UK
    Gameplay Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

That open world looks absolutely gorgeous! I can forsee a lot of time spent just admiring the landscape, watching the sun rise and set and such. I hope the movement and shooting mechanics are improved, as I did feel that in recent Rockstar games they were trying to get a bit too 'realistic' with the movements, but that'd prove difficult to control - the number of times I struggled to get through a door in Red Dead Redemption, for instance, was silly, as John Marston has this weird turning circle that was kinda limited and imprecise. Similarly, GTA V occasionally felt a bit imprecise or lacking in a certain smoothness and freedom when it came to gunplay, as if you were battling with the combination of the movement mechanics and the shooting mechanics.

It wasn't a huge thing, in fact it was rather subtle in its effects and wouldn't always occur, but when it did it was frustrating. Meanwhile some other games of a similar nature - such as Mafia III - would have less 'realistic' movement (in terms of the character's precise musculature), but the gamer controlling the in-game character felt so much smoother and more free, so you could run from cover, slide across a car bonnet, blast a few enemies, and then dart to another bit of cover before vaulting over a fence and making your escape. That sheer fluidity has somewhat evaded Rockstar because of their overt commitment to realism, but just a little temperance on that front would help make things slicker ... so I hope the mechanics of actually controlling your in-game character feels more slick and free that recent Rockstar games.

Anyway, I'm really excited to play this - not long now!!!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Aug-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Administrator

England
    It is looking epic isn't it.

Still no news on a PC version
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan