Thread: Ghost In The Shell (film) - Scarlett Johansson

Administrator

England

Ghost In The Shell (film) - Scarlett Johansson

OK... Fingers crossed with this one!

And Depeche Mode tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9A0rA-kRU
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    No Wachowsky bros. directing?

Missed opportunity.

Anyway, I never really liked the original. I heard there's an Akira film on the way too. I'll probably catch that one. But the visuals of this one has passed it by. 20 years ago, these kind of futuristic cityscapes were really awesome and breathtaking. Now the opposite is true; They feel lifeless and generic. I just feel that sci-fi is so saturated with these kind of plots and set pieces these days that I'm not at all interested in them. There has to be something more for me to get interested and a Cyborg Special Agent set in Cyber-Tokyo just isn't cutting it anymore.

Administrator

England
    ...but...but...Depeche Mode?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know next to nothing about the source material, but this trailer definitely caught my attention in a good way. Aesthetically it feels a lot like a relative to Blade Runner. Intentional or not, they've already got me on the hook.

And I really did like the use of the Depeche Mode cover...
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Nov-2016 at 12:36 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm not much of an anime viewer, but I've seen numerous films and some of the big hitters over the years (Akira, Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2, Paprika).

I'll certainly give this a watch, but at the same time I don't know enough about the original anime (I've never watched any of the TV series that spun off from GitS) to hold it properly to account. So, we'll see, eh?

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

*ahem*

I've seen and enjoyed both GITS anime films (never watched the TV show incarnation), and I'm willing to give this a go. I'm by no means an expert on the franchise (far from it), so I'll probably be likely to enjoy this easier than the die hard fans. It'll be interesting to see what the reactions are - die hards vs more casual viewers vs complete newbies.

Administrator

England
    Well, I quite enjoyed it.

It could have done with less time flying around the landscape showing off CGI special effects, and instead investing that time on the ground deepening the world, but overall a good action flick, with some nice ideas/moments to be found.

Maybe a sequel could work?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, I quite enjoyed it.

It could have done with less time flying around the landscape showing off CGI special effects, and instead investing that time on the ground deepening the world, but overall a good action flick, with some nice ideas/moments to be found.

Maybe a sequel could work?
    I wouldn't count on it. The studio has already come out with a statement that they didn't handle things properly and the film is looking to take a 60 million loss...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I wouldn't count on it. The studio has already come out with a statement that they didn't handle things properly and the film is looking to take a 60 million loss...
    Oh! Ouch!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The studio has already come out with a statement that they didn't handle things properly.
    They did?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, surprisingly they admitted that casting Johanson in an Asian role was probably a poor decision and they could have avoided the "whitewashing" controversy leading up to the film's release.