Thread: Logan (film)

Administrator

England

Logan (film)

A heavy/heavier drama Marvel film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHilK6b0Trs
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Is this old Wolverine and Alzheimers Dr. X?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I came here and logged in specifically to tell you not to waste your money or believe the hype. It's a DECENT movie, but not what they say. It's cliche and forced and man do they butcher the story as per every comic movie. I hate this movie.

Administrator

England
    I thought it was for the most part good.

There were a couple of cliche moments that seemed to detract, and the end section of the film was its weakest part.

I do wish she'd said "Logan" instead of "Daddy" at the end... Would have been so much deeper...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I really liked Logan. It was a fairly powerful film, especially for a "comic book" movie. I definitely felt like it was well grounded and I was glad to have seen it in the theater--people definitely seemed into it.

That said, I can see how some might say the films had some cliches, but I think it hit consistent themes...comics are modern mythology, so some of the themes are going to seem recurrent/universal.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I really liked Logan. It was a fairly powerful film, especially for a "comic book" movie. I definitely felt like it was well grounded and I was glad to have seen it in the theater--people definitely seemed into it.

That said, I can see how some might say the films had some cliches, but I think it hit consistent themes...comics are modern mythology, so some of the themes are going to seem recurrent/universal.
    This

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I heard a few manly sniffles in the crowd as well, maybe that was just me. But as a fan of Wolverine as a character, and able to separate the comic Wolverine from the Jackman Wolverine, I thought it was a great send off.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. The first Wolverine movie was a bit of a bugger up for the most part, but has some good bits in it. The second movie was much better, felt meatier, and had a bit more edge thanks to the 'more violent version' on home video. However, with Logan's it's a case of third time's the charm and is a high watermark in comic book movies.

The R-Rated approach has really worked for it, not just in terms of the violence making a hell of a lot more sense (seeing as Wolvie is slashing people to ribbons with his claw blades), but in terms of the storytelling. It doesn't feel the need to rush around like a mad chicken to entertain the kiddies, they can approach the material in a suitably grown up manner, and all-in-all it works really well.

The implementation of Richard E. Grant's character was maybe not as good as it could have been, but in many ways this is a film about Wolverine vs Himself - and boy, does it get you in the feels. It's great to see that Jackman has been able to go out on a high with the character ... now, I just hope they don't reboot the character for a good long while.