Thread: Trainspotting 2 (Film)

Administrator

England

Trainspotting 2 (Film)

Off to see this on Tuesday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsozpEE543w
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, deffo seeing this too. Great to see all the original cast on board. Hope the script is up to snuff.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Mark Kermode seemed to quite like it, and I've heard good things about it in general.

*fingers crossed*

Administrator

England
    Just need to watch the original again before hand... Can't remember much about it at all apart from dead babies and swimming in toilets
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Just need to watch the original again before hand... Can't remember much about it at all apart from dead babies and swimming in toilets
    I watched it again recently. Great film. You can still see exactly why it made such a splash at the time, and it feels just as fresh and vibrant today as it must have done back then (I was too young to have seen it in the cinema on its initial release).

I remember watching it for the first time as a teenager and the baby on the ceiling creeped me out so much. There was a bit of alure in watching the movie because it was 'controversial', but as you watch it while you get older you find the real stuff going on in there.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I watched it again recently. Great film. You can still see exactly why it made such a splash at the time, and it feels just as fresh and vibrant today as it must have done back then (I was too young to have seen it in the cinema on its initial release).

I remember watching it for the first time as a teenager and the baby on the ceiling creeped me out so much. There was a bit of alure in watching the movie because it was 'controversial', but as you watch it while you get older you find the real stuff going on in there.
    Yeh... Watched it over the weeked and it's held up well IMHO!

Going to be interesting to see the new one tomorrow!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well... That was a good flick A nice follow up to the original.

There's no way it could compete with the first one IMHO, but it certainly didnt feel out of place.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well... That was a good flick A nice follow up to the original.

There's no way it could compete with the first one IMHO, but it certainly didnt feel out of place.
    Phew!

I've been hearing this around and about, so it's nice to know they got Trainspotting 2 right after hearing belated sequel Bad Santa 2 was pish. It's one of those things, sometimes a follow up can be a stain against the original, but sometimes they get it right - chuffed to hear this one seems to be getting it right.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Phew!

I've been hearing this around and about, so it's nice to know they got Trainspotting 2 right after hearing belated sequel Bad Santa 2 was pish. It's one of those things, sometimes a follow up can be a stain against the original, but sometimes they get it right - chuffed to hear this one seems to be getting it right.
    Some of it is a tad flat... But some other bits are right up there with the original

Quite humbling in one or two places too as it used the 20+yrs to potentially use moments to make the viewer reflect on their own life & passing of time etc.

The cinema was less than a 1/4 full! And this is opening week on half price ticket Tuesday! Hmmm...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Some of it is a tad flat... But some other bits are right up there with the original

Quite humbling in one or two places too as it used the 20+yrs to potentially use moments to make the viewer reflect on their own life & passing of time etc.

The cinema was less than a 1/4 full! And this is opening week on half price ticket Tuesday! Hmmm...
    Cinema attendance doesn't judge the quality of the film though (Dredd is superb, but didn't do well at the box office ... the Transformers movies are trash, but packed out cinemas) ... although that is a shame, but even still, it was a Tuesday. Friday/Saturday attendance would be the interesting watermark to judge it by.

However, maybe it's the sort of film that people don't necessarily feel the need to watch in the cinemas, and perhaps those most likely to watch it in the cinemas can't because - 20 years on - they've got kids or other adult responsibilities getting in the way of a quick trip to the cinema, or they're just knackered after work etc etc.

American Pie Reunion didn't do all that well at cinemas IIRC, but it was aiming for those who were around about my age when the original couple of movies came out - but by the time Reunion came out we were all living in different places and at a point where it was, all of a sudden, surprisingly quite hard to line everyone up for a cinema trip. So I just got the Blu-Ray instead.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This definitely ranks up there as one of the best belated sequels. Top notch job from everyone involved! I can see myself giving this one a spin along with the original every few years