Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days To Die (video game)

England

7 Days To Die (video game)

Any of you guys playing this on PC? It's still in the development stage but is very playable in its current state. Basically it's like Minecraft with regards building a base and crafting tools, weapons etc, but with realistic graphics, gravity and hordes of zombies. You start the game in the post apocalyptic wasteland and have to start foraging for resources and building a secure base (or fortifying one of the abandoned homes that are dotted around) before the zombies who increase in numbers and aggression over the days lay siege to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlkodJ7Emw
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Feb-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fixed YouTube embed code.

Administrator

England
    I had a great time playing Empyrion for a while, which is a sort of space survival game a bit like this I guess...

So what do you think of 7 Days To Die then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I had a great time playing Empyrion for a while, which is a sort of space survival game a bit like this I guess...

So what do you think of 7 Days To Die then?
    I like it but it's very hard!! Especially at night when the shambling zombies become athletes and you have no chance of getting away! I started a new game last night and found a two storey house which I've decided to fortify rather than start a new building from scratch, which so far I've found to be mission impossible. The list of items you can craft is quite daunting and so far when I tried to build my own scratch built base I couldn't figure out how to put a roof on it.
    Great game though, and I'm sure they will keep improving on it seen as it's still an alpha release. Tonight I'll be building a cobblestone wall around my house and then digging a moat around it to fill with sharpened wood spikes

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I like it but it's very hard!! Especially at night when the shambling zombies become athletes and you have no chance of getting away! I started a new game last night and found a two storey house which I've decided to fortify rather than start a new building from scratch, which so far I've found to be mission impossible. The list of items you can craft is quite daunting and so far when I tried to build my own scratch built base I couldn't figure out how to put a roof on it.
    Great game though, and I'm sure they will keep improving on it seen as it's still an alpha release. Tonight I'll be building a cobblestone wall around my house and then digging a moat around it to fill with sharpened wood spikes
    Can you play it co-op with friends?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Can you play it co-op with friends?
    Yes it has multiplayer options. I'm currently playing single player as I don't like having my game ruined by randoms, but quite happy to play with some of you HPOTD folks if we can get a game going!

United States
    bought this on the ps4 a while back, and sad to say, i've not really had much interest in it. this game is much more geared towards a mouse and keyboard rather a controller. rather clunky feeling and very daunting at the start. will probably give it another try one of these days.

England
    Well I'm figuring this game out much more now, I was able to find all the components to build a forge which opens up a whole new world of items to craft in terms of weapons, walls and defences. I spent a whole (in game) day with my new iron forged shovel digging a moat all the way around the abandoned house I've decided to fortify, then chopped loads of trees down with my new iron axe which I turned into spike traps which to fill the moat with. Sitting on the upstairs balcony when a zombie horde comes and starts trying to break through my defences is a tense time! I've reinforced the door, put more wooden spikes around it, boarded up the windows and managed to craft a bow and arrow and a primitive blunderbuss to try and defend myself if they break through. Very addictive game once you start to figure it out!

Administrator

England
    Well it was 60% off, so I've bought it...
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

UK
    Hello....I have been playing this game for just over a year and it is awesome. I play the PC version mostly as the Xbox controls are not really suited to this game. Just a few tips.....if you can spare the space don't scrap stuff, smelt it as is. This especially applies to car radiators. I would say that brass and nitrate are the two most precious commodities in game as these mats make ammo. Oh and stay away from the bears........

England
    Yeah I can't imagine it being very suited to consoles, the crafting/backpack menu is quite fiddly and really needs the mouse and keyboard interface.
    I found an abandoned military base while out exploring and the zombie soldiers who came shambling out were carrying some good kit, certainly improved my arsenal! Although it's still no big comfort when a horde comes in the middle of the night, especially seen as bullets are limited and I haven't found or been able to buy the schematic to make 7.62 rounds yet. I also acquired the chainsaw from a zombie corpse in the aftermath of a horde, it gets through fuel quickly but makes light work of hordes and trees. I've found hammering away at abandoned cars gives me plenty of gas for it. I'm on day 48 and the hordes are getting more frequent, even when it's not blood moon night! I planted some hub cap landmines outside my base and it ramps up the tension when you're in your house crafting or whatever, and you suddenly hear the booms outside and you just know you're under siege again...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Yeah I can't imagine it being very suited to consoles, the crafting/backpack menu is quite fiddly and really needs the mouse and keyboard interface.
    I found an abandoned military base while out exploring and the zombie soldiers who came shambling out were carrying some good kit, certainly improved my arsenal! Although it's still no big comfort when a horde comes in the middle of the night, especially seen as bullets are limited and I haven't found or been able to buy the schematic to make 7.62 rounds yet. I also acquired the chainsaw from a zombie corpse in the aftermath of a horde, it gets through fuel quickly but makes light work of hordes and trees. I've found hammering away at abandoned cars gives me plenty of gas for it. I'm on day 48 and the hordes are getting more frequent, even when it's not blood moon night! I planted some hub cap landmines outside my base and it ramps up the tension when you're in your house crafting or whatever, and you suddenly hear the booms outside and you just know you're under siege again...
    I read to set the game up not to have runners over night when you first play? Yes? No?
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I read to set the game up not to have runners over night when you first play? Yes? No?
    That could be a good idea, the zombies are traditional shamblers through the day but the aggression and speed is ramped up at night, it's not so bad when you've managed to acquire firearms, but with a bow and arrow and a stone axe it's impossible to fight them off or get away from them at night! The packs of zombie dogs are a nightmare too.
    I'm up to day 49 on my game now, last night a huge horde descended on my camp and kept coming all night. Most of them died on my defences but a few managed to get through and my defences are all but gone on one side, I saved and quit at the point when dawn broke and they stopped coming as it was getting late, but next time I play I'll be doing some major repairs to my perimeter spikes and walls.
    Be aware that the crawling zombies will tunnel underneath your walls or house to get at you, and obviously once they're through others will follow, at that point you'll find yourself backed into a room desperately trying to nail the door shut as they break through

United States
    I've been playing this as well.

I'm on Day 10 or so with a buddy and we're holed up in a desert junkyard/autobody shop we found and cleared (no easy task). It has a very satisfying upstairs set of rooms (ala Dawn) with one set of stairs and door into it. It has roof access to keep tabs on the surrounding area. The days are spent trying to scavenge food and water, trying to explore the surrounding area, trying to find materials for shoring defenses (or progressing what we can build) and trying to endure the heat. Nights are spent hiding and/or fending off the ever-increasing numbers and ferocity of the zombies.

I like the progression. The zombies seemed pretty lame at first. Just a few around and they were idiotic about breaking into even the flimsiest of structures. With bow or axe they were kinda hard to kill (which is super annoying) but pretty easy to avoid. As days/nights progressed though they became more frequent and more aggressive. We got trained to seek shelter at night, and then learned we needed to start building defenses. We've most recently discovered that even our defenses are weak. They will pretty much break through anything eventually.

It's been pretty fun. There is always the craving to explore and find new things, but it is confounded by the day/night cycle, food/water/rest needs, and zombie threat. It's a decent balance. And the way the zombie aggression progresses makes for lots of "oh shit!" moments. The rules change subtly each night, and what you relied on only a couple nights ago won't hold true.

I can't imagine Day 49...
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I've been playing this as well.

I'm on Day 10 or so with a buddy and we're holed up in a desert junkyard/autobody shop we found and cleared (no easy task). It has a very satisfying upstairs set of rooms (ala Dawn) with one set of stairs and door into it. It has roof access to keep tabs on the surrounding area. The days are spent trying to scavenge food and water, trying to explore the surrounding area, trying to find materials for shoring defenses (or progressing what we can build) and trying to endure the heat. Nights are spent hiding and/or fending off the ever-increasing numbers and ferocity of the zombies.

I like the progression. The zombies seemed pretty lame at first. Just a few around and they were idiotic about breaking into even the flimsiest of structures. With bow or axe they were kinda hard to kill (which is super annoying) but pretty easy to avoid. As days/nights progressed though they became more frequent and more aggressive. We got trained to seek shelter at night, and then learned we needed to start building defenses. We've most recently discovered that even our defenses are weak. They will pretty much break through anything eventually.

It's been pretty fun. There is always the craving to explore and find new things, but it is confounded by the day/night cycle, food/water/rest needs, and zombie threat. It's a decent balance. And the way the zombie aggression progresses makes for lots of "oh shit!" moments. The rules change subtly each night, and what you relied on only a couple nights ago won't hold true.

I can't imagine Day 49...
    How easy is it to play co-op then with someone else?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    i take it that all of you gents are playing on PC, correct? this game could be great fun with a couple of good players i would imagine....