Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friday the 13th: The Game... (video game)

Super Moderator

UK
    I wonder why this lawsuit has only come around now, why not in the 1980s when the franchise was at its height?

So this'll be part of the reason why we've not had a movie since 2009, or is the reason now why we don't have a new one coming. Hopefully this all gets sorted soon, but being that it's lawyers and movie money and such, I doubt it.

Super Moderator

UK
    FYI, for today (Saturday 6th April) and tomorrow (Sunday 7th April), the game is on sale: 75% off at £3.99 on the Xbox Store. Not sure if it's worldwide or just UK/selected territories, but have a looksee for yourselves. It's part of an "un-Halloween" sale or whatever they called it. Saw it on my Xbox home screen when I went on to play some Forza this afternoon.

I saw on the game's website that it got an update a while back which included an "offline bots" mode, so I bought it to try it out for that (I don't have Xbox Live). I've only just got the game downloaded, so haven't even started it yet, but just figured I'd give folks a heads up while it's still on sale this weekend.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, so I've been playing the offline content for a few days now and it's good fun for hardcore Friday the 13th fans such as myself.

In addition to "offline bots" (they sure do like to jump through windows!!! ) there is a "challenges" mode, which is more like mini single player scenarios that kind of recreate portions of the movies (albeit with some different characters). You have to get at least 2 out of 3 skulls to get the next challenge level (there are 10 in total), with the skulls representing 1) kill everyone, 2) don't get caught, and 3) skill points. I've done half of them so far, although one was very frustrating to get that second skull to move on (you have to get 2 out 3 in a single round, too!)

However, it's fun to play this grab bag of scenes from the movie in a rough kind of way (e.g. the lovers in bed kill from #2, or the spear gun kill from #3), although it does show that you could make an awesome Hitman-style single player Friday the 13th game ... if only!

United States
    thanks for the perspective from a single-player point of view. when this first launched it only had mp mode and i just can't be bothered with playing online games and dealing with all the associated baggage these days.

i see that this is still priced at 20 bucks on psn, which is half off from what the price was at launch, so i may check it out. it was free for ps plus members in october, but i had let my membership lapse at the time and missed out. as far as i know, it's never gone on sale or been less than the current price. with so many games in my backlog and so little time to really get balls-deep in a good game lately unless it's something really up my alley (like resident evil 2), i may hold out for a bit longer to see if it ever goes on a flash sale or something.

a quick question, MZ, if you can answer it: is there any offline mode that allows you to play as the counselors, or is it strictly a jason voorhees murder simulator?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 10-Apr-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: che che che ah ah ah

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    thanks for the perspective from a single-player point of view. when this first launched it only had mp mode and i just can't be bothered with playing online games and dealing with all the associated baggage these days.

a quick question, MZ, if you can answer it: is there any offline mode that allows you to play as the counselors, or is it strictly a jason voorhees murder simulator?
    1) Yeah, multiplayer is of no interest to me either. I briefly played a bit of the online mode in Forza Horizon 4 a while back when they accidentally unlocked that mode for everyone regardless of XBL membership or not, so there was a little bit of fun to be had that I did enjoy with the hourly challenges that you'd do with other players to gain Forza points ... but then they fixed the error and that was that. Otherwise, yeah, multiplayer ... ugh ... playing against friends in the same room on the same console? Yeah, that's fun, but not against strangers online who are likely better at the game than you and just wanna fuck your play session up.

2) Nope, you can only play as Jason in the offline modes. I think it's something to do with coding for some reason or other. It would be nice to have just to mix things up a little bit, however for £3.99 it was a bargain. And the annoying thing is playing the challenge mode doesn't rank you up. You do gain XP, which is vital for unlocking new kills, but your actual rank only increases by playing the offline bots mode (and that allows you to unlock the other Jasons as you only start off with #3 and #5 Jasons with alternate skins (e.g. #3 has the NES purple Jason)).

Not sure what the status of the recent lawsuit is (that kinda halted progress on the game), but more single player content would be most welcome. As I say, a Hitman-style Friday the 13th game mode would be sweet.

I dip in and out of it to change things up from playing Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 at the moment.

United States
    ^

thanks for the info...doubt i'll get it unless it goes on sale or they add a little more single-player content.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don’t know much about this game, but I hear it’s the same company that will be releasing a game based on the Predator franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocP3VPsEGds

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I just saw that yesterday. Hopefully it won't get caught up in a lawsuit and battered from pillar to post by bugs and glitches.

I am a big fan of the F13th game (albeit just the single player content, I've never played the online stuff), but bloody hell did that lawsuit completely fuck it up in regards to content updates. Speaking of updates, they released a patch for it yesterday - 9.03gb!!! Basically the entirety of the game data, and it's just a few tweaks and fiddles and fixes - such as a "roof exploit" in multiplayer, which they claimed was fixed, but which the players immediately found wasn't fixed at all. Talk about a shoddy update, not to mention utterly inefficient. I'd hoped it might be some new content (e.g. maps) now that the lawsuit has gone through its initial phase (although I'd be stunned if Cunningham didn't challenge the judge's ruling), but nope, just some half-assed fixes that seem to have not really had much of an affect on players.

One thing they could certainly fix is the sheer grinding slog to level up. Since hitting level 20 (and unlocked Part 8 Jason) the game is a huge grind to level up. WTF is that all about? Christ, you can't even get to unlock Part 4 Jason until level 44, and just to choose your weapon is level 113!!!